Thoughts About praying Lord to take you away and die

  • Thread starter Thread starter eblude
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eblude

Guest
Hey all.
I been having hard week so I starting praying god to take me away. At times I feel tiered of living and being alive.

I am trying communicate to great Lord how I feel and honestly most of day I wish my life ends.

I am dealing with bad divorce lost house and the emotional part of this is killing me. I do not know at times why I do pray but I start imagining myself where my car explodes while I am driving . having a cancer where I have few days to love or even my car falls over bridge and all ends.

I love lord and have peace in him . but death looks like sweet dream “though I have no plan in committing suicide” I really wish I die and yes I been praying for that for last week and right now.

Thank you
Light
 
I am sorry for what happened.

I must admit that there were times I have prayed the same. But by God’s grace, I persevered and abandoned myself to the Lord.

In such a prayer, I remember the prayers of Tobit and Sarah for God to take their lives:
TOBIT 3:1-15
*Deeply upset in my heart, I sighed and wept and began to pray with sighs:
2 “You are just, Lord, and all your deeds are just; mercy and truth mark all your ways. You judge the world.
3 “Now, Lord, remember me and look upon me. Don’t punish me for my sins and the mistakes I made in ignorance, nor for those of my ancestors. They sinned against you, 4 and I disregarded your commandments. So you have handed us over to plunder, captivity, and death. We have become a parable and the object of chatter and scorn among all the nations to which you have scattered us. 5 You are right in your many judgments, holding me responsible for my sins; for we didn’t observe your commandments, and we haven’t behaved faithfully toward you.
6 “And now, deal with me as you wish. Command that my spirit be taken from me so that I might be set free from the earth and become dust. It is better for me to die than to live, for I have heard false insults, and I’m full of grief. Lord, command that I might be set free from this distress. Set me free to go to the eternal place. Don’t turn your face from me, Lord, for it is better for me to die than to experience this distress in my life and to endure insults.”
7 On the same day in Ecbatana of Media, Sarah, Raguel’s daughter, also heard insults from one of her father’s female servants.
8 Sarah had been given in marriage to seven husbands; and Asmodeus, an evil demon, killed them before they could lie with her as newlyweds do.** And so the female servant said to her, “You are the one who keeps killing your husbands! See, you have already been given to seven husbands, and you haven’t carried the name of any of them. 9 Are you beating us because they have all died? Go with them, and may we never see a son or daughter of yours!”
10 On that day Sarah was deeply upset in her heart and wept. She went upstairs to a room in her father’s house, and planned to hang herself. But she had second thoughts and said, “They will never insult my father by saying to him, ‘You had but one dearly loved daughter, and she hanged herself because of her troubles.’ If I did this, I would bring my old father down to the grave in sorrow. It is better for me not to hang myself, but to beg of the Lord to let me die so that I no longer hear insults during my lifetime.”
11 At that moment, she stretched her hands out toward the window and prayed:
“You are blessed, merciful God, and your name is blessed forever! May all your works forever praise you! 12 And now, Lord, I lift my face and my eyes toward you. 13 Speak the word, and set me free from the earth so that I don’t have to hear insults anymore. 14 You know, Master, that I’m pure from any uncleanness from relations with a man. 15 You know that I haven’t tarnished my name or my father’s name in this country where we are captives. I’m my father’s only child. He has no other child to be his heir, nor does he have a brother or near relative for whom I can keep myself as a wife. Seven have died on me already, so why should I go on living? And if you don’t like the idea of killing me, take notice, at least, of how they insult me.”***
In this story, God heard their prayers but instead of taking their lives, he intervened and healed them.
Persevere, keep on praying, and abandon yourself to God who is a most merciful Father. Always remember:
Romans 8:28
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

God uses all things that happen in our life for our own good. He allows evil only so that he can draw forth a greater good from it, in the same way that he allowed the death of his dearly beloved Son that he might draw forth the salvation of mankind.

Cling to God and know that there is always hope. In the mean time, find something worthwhile to do. Keep in touch with your other support systems, be it your relatives, friends, or people from the parish. If you think you are suffering from severe depression and might need medical assistance, that’s an option too. But the central thing here is to cling to God all the way.

Let me end with a poem from a well known saint:
Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away:
God never changes.
Patience obtains all things
Whoever has God lacks nothing;
God alone suffices.
  • St Teresa of Avila
In God’s time, this pain of yours shall pass and will be converted by God to something better than you have imagined. I will keep you in my prayers. God bless!
 
Every night when I lay down to go to sleep, I hope and pray that I don’t wake up, But at the same time I am all but certain that I am going to Hell when I die so for me it is a lose-lose situation.
 
If it is not for faith I will be drunk daily and have done something stupid.
I go on my knees daily and I try to communicate/pray to the Lord.

But at Times Pain"Specially emotional" is impossible to handle. at these moments I really wish the lord to take me . I am not sure best way to handle it than telling lord how I feel and accept his will. still at times I get lost and wonder whats best way to handle it … specially when you are emotionally falling apart.
 
TOBIT’S PRAYER FOR DEATH
“You are righteous, Lord, and all your deeds are just; All your ways are mercy and fidelity; you are judge of the world. And now, Lord, be mindful of me and look with favor upon me. Do not punish me for my sins, or for my inadvertent offenses, or for those of my ancestors. “They sinned against you, and disobeyed your commandments. So you handed us over to plunder, captivity, and death, to become an object lesson, a byword, and a reproach in all the nations among whom you scattered us. “Yes, your many judgments are right in dealing with me as my sins, and those of my ancestors, deserve. For we have neither kept your commandments, nor walked in fidelity before you. “So now, deal with me as you please; command my life breath to be taken from me, that I may depart from the face of the earth and become dust. It is better for me to die than to live,* because I have listened to undeserved reproaches, and great is the grief within me. “Lord, command that I be released from such anguish; let me go to my everlasting abode; Do not turn your face away from me, Lord. For it is better for me to die than to endure so much misery in life, and to listen to such reproaches!”
Sarah Falsely Accused.
  • On that very day, at Ecbatana in Media, it so happened that Raguel’s daughter Sarah also had to listen to reproaches from one of her father’s maids.
    For she had been given in marriage to seven husbands, but the wicked demon Asmodeus* kept killing them off before they could have intercourse with her, as is prescribed for wives. The maid said to her: “You are the one who kills your husbands! Look! You have already been given in marriage to seven husbands, but you do not bear the name of a single one of them.Why do you beat us? Because your husbands are dead? Go, join them! May we never see son or daughter of yours!”
That day Sarah was sad at heart. She went in tears to an upstairs room in her father’s house and wanted to hang herself. But she reconsidered, saying to herself: “No! May people never reproach my father and say to him, ‘You had only one beloved daughter, but she hanged herself because of her misfortune.’ And thus would I bring my father laden with sorrow in his old age to Hades. It is far better for me not to hang myself, but to beg the Lord that I might die, and no longer have to listen to such reproaches in my lifetime.”At that same time, with hands outstretched toward the window,* she implored favor:
SARAH’S PRAYER FOR DEATH
“Blessed are you, merciful God! Blessed be your holy and honorable name forever! May all your works forever bless you. Now to you, Lord, I have turned my face and have lifted up my eyes. Bid me to depart from the earth, never again to listen to such reproaches. “You know, Master, that I am clean of any defilement with a man. I have never sullied my own name or my father’s name in the land of my captivity. “I am my father’s only daughter, and he has no other child to be his heir, Nor does he have a kinsman or close relative whose wife I should wait to become. Seven husbands of mine have already died. Why then should I live any longer? But if it does not please you, Lord, to take my life, look favorably upon me and have pity on me, that I may never again listen to such reproaches!” An Answer to Prayer.
At that very time, the prayer of both of them was heard in the glorious presence of God. So Raphael was sent to heal them both: to remove the white scales from Tobit’s eyes, so that he might again see with his own eyes God’s light; and to give Sarah, the daughter of Raguel, as a wife to Tobiah, the son of Tobit, and to rid her of the wicked demon Asmodeus. For it fell to Tobiah’s lot* to claim her before any others who might wish to marry her.
. usccb.org/bible/tobit/3

I believe Sarah has important information about praying to die vs taking matters into her own hands and sending her father to Hades. The whole story of Tolbit is very fascinating, and I urge you to read the rest of the story.
  • [3:6] It is better for me to die than to live: in his distress Tobit uses the words of the petulant Jonah (Jon 4:3, 8), who wished to die because God did not destroy the hated Ninevites. In similar circumstances, Moses (Nm 11:15), Elijah (1 Kgs 19:4), and Job (Jb 7:15) also prayed for death. Everlasting abode: a reference to Sheol, the dismal abode of the dead from which no one returns (Jb 7:9–10; 14:12; Is 26:14). See note on Tb 4:6.
 
I will be praying for you, praying that those thoughts will end and you’ll move on to a happier place in life.
 
You are longing to die from sins you are entwined in and are witnessing. All sin/wrongdoings/transgressions leads to death. It is right that you want to die to sins and to grasp to God for mercy and a renewal of life. He is the merciful one who will take your desires and return to you His divine plan. Yes, this is very much a death. It is a surrendering to God that will allow you to find peace and an opportunity to make wrong what is right (regardless of who’s fault it is). Praying, studying, making amends, and giving mercy will be big and small steps that you will take to allow God to recreate you. Physical death takes away these opportunities and eternally writes the story without recreation. Pray for the recreation.
 
I will be praying for you, praying that those thoughts will end and you’ll move on to a happier place in life.
👍 This!

Also, I would suggest talking with your local priest or deacon about your feelings… they may be able to help you through these feelings. Nothing else, I bet you will come away feeling better.

I’ll be praying for all of you that are having these feelings… you must be in a really sad place and I hope God will remove all anxiety from your hearts and fill your hearts with joy.

PAX

John
 
If it is not for faith I will be drunk daily and have done something stupid.
I go on my knees daily and I try to communicate/pray to the Lord.

But at Times Pain"Specially emotional" is impossible to handle. at these moments I really wish the lord to take me . I am not sure best way to handle it than telling lord how I feel and accept his will. still at times I get lost and wonder whats best way to handle it … specially when you are emotionally falling apart.
I’m gonn’a have to take my “faith hat” off for a moment here, and strongly urge you to seek professional help. As in psychiatric–or at the very least, psychological.

Faith is wonderful, and amazingly powerful–but it is your very faith which appears to be failing you, in this time of trial, so it seems counter-intuitive to offer faith based solutions. Your faith, appears to need some…assistance…in order for it to provide you with the assistance (and strength, and will, and desire…) you need, to fight on.

Seek professional help. Do not be ashamed or embarrassed; just do it.

The emotional distress you are feeling, may very well be secondary to a chemical situation, or clinical depression, or some other similar psychological/psychiatric condition, that may very well be treated by the appropriate mental health professional.

I am not suggesting that you do this in lieu of prayer–not at all–but in addition to; or perhaps more to the point–helping God, help you. Place yourself in a circumstance where God may use others, to help you out.

…and also please note: I am not calling you crazy, or anything of the sort. Many many many many people, more than you could possibly fathom, are beneficiaries of psychological/psychiatric help, for a plethora of reasons. Mental health issues are as real as physical issues–just harder to identify sometimes–and can be just as temporary.

e.g.–if you had an infectious disease that you did not treat…you could easily die from it. If you have an acute case of clinical depression that you do not treat…the results could be similarly catastrophic. In both cases, with proper treatment, you can easily rebound, and be better off than you were before the condition presented.

I’ll pray for you–especially that you heed my advice here.

God bless…

PS: no, I’m not a mental health professional myself–I’m an attorney–but my experiences (vicariously, anyway) have lead me to believe in the efficacy of the MH profession. fwiw.
 
Be careful and cautious about taking psych meds. Some people end up finding one that works for them, usually after trial and error. The trial and error part can be like Russian Roulette. Also, one med can cause further issues, requiring a second med, etc. I would go that route as a last resort only. Also, it seems that most physicians are inclined to medicate, as an easy fix.

Frequent prayer, frequent Mass/Communion and Confession, plus amendment of life will very likely get you there.

Suicide is an eternal ‘solution’ to a temporary problem. Please, ask a Priest what happens when we take our own life. We lose all grace. Without God’s Grace, we are defenseless. Only God has that authority, except in extreme cases such as self defense, war, police actions, etc.

Godspeed.
 
I also pray for that oftentimes because I don’t want to commit mortal sins anymore.

It’s not of grave matter if that’s what you meant to ask.

I will pray for you.
 
I should have added that it would be of grave matter to ask God to kill you, although not to ask Him to allow you to die.
 
Eblude,

We should all want to die when God wants us to, not when we want to.

You can make an appointment to see your priest and discuss your sadness and emotional distress with him. He can give you advice and if he thinks it important he can recommend a good Catholic counselor.

There is an association of Catholic therapists who are trained to teach the whole person which includes their soul.
 
Every night when I lay down to go to sleep, I hope and pray that I don’t wake up, But at the same time I am all but certain that I am going to Hell when I die so for me it is a lose-lose situation.
You’re not the only one with those thoughts. 😦
 
For the love of the Lord do not allow despair to take over your thoughts.

Replace the thoughts with acts of love for the Lord, and a desire to trust Him. You don’t have to “feel” anything emotionally when you do this.

Spiritual warfare is won by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Stay close to our Blessed Mother, who knows Him best.
 
Every night when I lay down to go to sleep, I hope and pray that I don’t wake up, But at the same time I am all but certain that I am going to Hell when I die so for me it is a lose-lose situation.
You’re not the only one with those thoughts.
Me too.The thought of standing before Jesus to be judged for my sins fills me with absolute dread. I try to bear in mind the Prayer of Saint Ambrose who seems to have had similar fears:

Lord Jesus Christ,
I approach your banquet table in fear and trembling,
for I am a sinner,
and dare not rely on my own worth,
but only on your goodness and mercy.
I am defiled by many sins in body and soul,
and by my unguarded thoughts and words.
Gracious God of majesty and awe,
I seek your protection,
I look for your healing.
Poor troubled sinner that I am,
I appeal to you, the fountain of all mercy.
I cannot bear your judgment,
but I trust in your salvation.

Lord, I show my wounds to you and uncover my shame before you.
I know my sins are many and great,
and they fill me with fear,
but I hope in your mercies,
for they cannot be numbered.
Lord Jesus Christ, eternal king, God and man,
crucified for mankind,
look upon me with mercy and hear my prayer,
for I trust in you.
Have mercy on me,
full of sorrow and sin,
for the depth of your compassion never ends.

Praise to you, saving sacrfice,
offered on the wood of the cross for me and for all mankind.
Praise to the noble and precious blood,
flowing from the wounds of the my crucified Lord Jesus Christ and washing away the sins of the whole world.
Remember, Lord your creature,
whom you have redeemed with your blood;
I repent my sins,
and I long to put right what I have done
. Merciful Father, take away all my offenses and sins;
purify me in body and soul,
and make me worthy to taste the holy of holies.
May your body and blood,
which I intend to receive, although I am unworthy,
be for me the remission of my sins,
the washing away of my guilt,
the end of my evil thoughts,
and the rebirth of my better instincts.
May it incite me to do the works pleasing to you and profitable to my health in body and soul,
and be a firm defense against the wiles of my enemies. Amen.
 
For the love of the Lord do not allow despair to take over your thoughts.
They already have.
Replace the thoughts with acts of love for the Lord, and a desire to trust Him. You don’t have to “feel” anything emotionally when you do this.
And how exactly do I do that when I know it is pointless to do so?
 
Every night when I lay down to go to sleep, I hope and pray that I don’t wake up, But at the same time I am all but certain that I am going to Hell when I die so for me it is a lose-lose situation.
You’re not the only one with those thoughts. 😦
Gentlemen:

A quick reminder: Life IS A GIFT.

Y’all comment like the fight is over, and you’ve already lost.

…but there’s a thing called the confessional…

…a sacrament called Confession (or penance)…

…a grace known as forgiveness…

…a gift known as infinite mercy…

…a person known as Christ, who redeemed you.

Throwing your arms up in the air and so much ‘woe is me’ attitude, is the ultimate slap in the face that will earn your place in Hell, as you are essentially saying to the Lord:

Take your gift of life…and shove it!

As if His gracious gift to you, were unworthy of ‘your Highnessess.’

***Show a little faith…and ***gratitude.
 
…there’s a stark difference between reverence/fear of the Lord/humility…

…and despair.

The difference is a matter of gratitude and hope, for the same gifts of life and redemption:

The desperate are ungrateful, and hopeless; the humble…eternally grateful and hopeful.

This is exactly how and why the Blessed Virgin Mary is such an indispensable agent of Faith–for no one showed greater humility and gratitude, than our Lady; nor more hope, in the face of the gravest of challenges.

Despair not. Look to Our Lady for Hope; and cultivate an attitude of gratitude–and humility.
 
A quick reminder: Life IS A GIFT.
If it is, I’d like to exchange it.
Y’all comment like the fight is over, and you’ve already lost.
It is and I have. Prove me wrong.
…but there’s a thing called the confessional…
…a sacrament called Confession (or penance)…
…a grace known as forgiveness…
…a gift known as infinite mercy…
…a person known as Christ, who redeemed you.
Meaningless. All this presumes the God does indeed care about me; I do not believe he does and have no reason to believe he ever will.
Throwing your arms up in the air and so much ‘woe is me’ attitude, is the ultimate slap in the face that will earn your place in Hell, as you are essentially saying to the Lord:
Take your gift of life…and shove it!
As if His gracious gift to you, were unworthy of ‘your Highnessess.’
***Show a little faith…and ***gratitude.
You just don’t get it; do you? 🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top