E
Epistemes
Guest
As I’ve posted before, my friend struggles with biblical illiteracy due to both difficulties with reading comprehension and the often technical language used in most standard translations. As it is, she and I have been reading from the Good News translation together (with deuterocanonicals appended), but she still struggles with biblical concepts, such as, “What is a parable?”
In my research, I’ve found two good Study Bibles which help to address some of these issues, but what a shame that neither of these are published in a Catholic edition.
The first, and possibly the best, is The Learning Bible: Contemporary English Version, which is chocked full of definitions, images, and sidebars and footnotes helping to put the text into context for the beginner and expert alike. Too bad it’s out of print! I would swoop up a couple copies if it wasn’t.
The second is the English Standard Version Study Bible. This one is a bit more on the academic side, but I generally found it highly presentable, offering loads of introductory information, including who authored the book, setting, and general themes, plus there are, again, plenty of footnotes to try and explain the words in the text. I’m currently letting my friend sample sections from both Isaiah and Revelation on amazon.com to see if she likes it and if she thinks it will help her understand the Bible more.
I so desperately want her to read and understand God’s Word! And I am so disappointed in the Catholic publishers who continually regurgitate the same translations with the same uber-scholarly footnotes and other lack of helpful information. It’s a shame that I have to resort to buying a translation which is endorsed by fringe Protestants and other anti-Catholic believers, but it’s apparent that these people care so much more about the common man understanding God’s Word than the Church does. We call ourselves People of the Word, but we fail to see with the current state of biblical translations in the Church that the light has been hidden beneath a bushel basket.
In my research, I’ve found two good Study Bibles which help to address some of these issues, but what a shame that neither of these are published in a Catholic edition.
The first, and possibly the best, is The Learning Bible: Contemporary English Version, which is chocked full of definitions, images, and sidebars and footnotes helping to put the text into context for the beginner and expert alike. Too bad it’s out of print! I would swoop up a couple copies if it wasn’t.
The second is the English Standard Version Study Bible. This one is a bit more on the academic side, but I generally found it highly presentable, offering loads of introductory information, including who authored the book, setting, and general themes, plus there are, again, plenty of footnotes to try and explain the words in the text. I’m currently letting my friend sample sections from both Isaiah and Revelation on amazon.com to see if she likes it and if she thinks it will help her understand the Bible more.
I so desperately want her to read and understand God’s Word! And I am so disappointed in the Catholic publishers who continually regurgitate the same translations with the same uber-scholarly footnotes and other lack of helpful information. It’s a shame that I have to resort to buying a translation which is endorsed by fringe Protestants and other anti-Catholic believers, but it’s apparent that these people care so much more about the common man understanding God’s Word than the Church does. We call ourselves People of the Word, but we fail to see with the current state of biblical translations in the Church that the light has been hidden beneath a bushel basket.