Thoughts while praying the rosary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter anon98328916
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anon98328916

Guest
Sometimes when I am praying the rosary I will have unwanted thoughts. These can be upsetting and can distract me from praying. For example when I’m meditating on a mystery sometimes a curse or bad thought in relation to the mystery will come into my head, I am worried God thinks I really think those things and that the rosary won’t count because of these thoughts etc… I have OCD/anxiety which I think doesn’t help. Does this happen to you while praying? Please help?
 
It used to happen to me A LOT when I was a teen. So I stopped praying. Sometimes even when I do want to pray I say my prayers so fast that I can’t even think of what I was saying. Of course it didn’t work. Last year after I came back to Church I had those thoughts stronger than ever!!! I posted here asking if it was normal. I was worried God would be angry with me because of these thoughts. Some of them are too blasphemous that it started to hurt me cuz I really wanted to pray the Rosary, go to Mass, attend adoration without the fear of these thoughts. But after asking poeple here some said that it was normal and that was the evil one trying to get you to quit praying, some said I should tell my confessor. I evengualy did tell him and though I didn’t tell him any details cuz they are too horrbile to speak of, he said thoughts are thoughts as long as you don’t agree with these thoughts and don’t dwell on them then it’s not your fault. After much prayer and begging God to spare me the torment of these thoughts, I realized that it is true. I don’t want these thoughts in my head and God knows very well that I do not think of it willingly. The thoughts then were gone. I was left with peace and I could meditate and pray peacefuly. I do admit they come to me from time to time but I know that as soon as I catch myself with them I pull myself away from these thoughts or any distracting thoughts and focus on my prayers. Please know that God knows we are weak and that we will be be distracted in our prayers but all he asks of us is to go back to our prayers as soon as we catch ourselves straying from it as Fr. Jaque Phillip says in his books.

I want you to be sure that God loves you and knows that these are not your thoughts. Trust me my thoughts are way worse but I have peace in knowing they are not truely mine, just keep rejecting them, tell God you reject them and want none of them. He will heal your mind and eventually these thoughts wont bother you anymore, if they ever stick with you. Just know when you do have them that you are doing something right and that the Evil one is doing everything in his power to get you to stop praying and to drag you back to hell with him cuz you know, misery loves company.

Be at peace. 🙂

P.S. I’m on my way out so please forgive my typos.
 
If you have OCD intrusive thoughts are common. God knows they are intrusive. I get them too. We can’t give you medical advice here, so speak to a professional about it. :hug1:
 
I found that all of life’s problems can be solved by praying the Rosary, mainly because I end up spending the time I’m praying thinking about everything but praying the Rosary.

I’ve solved this by only praying a decade instead of the whole thing. I can do one decade with devotion and sincerity much better.
 
Keep praying! Some will agree with me. Other will disagree. But it is not that uncommon for the bad spirits to place bad thoughts and images into our head when we pray. This is something they are commonly known to be very able to do.

Keep praying and God will be pleased. The devils will be ticked off. 🙂
 
That’s normal frankly. The prince of lies would rather you didn’t pray.
If possible, try to set up a good environment for prayer. A quiet spot, with a comfortable chair, something to focus on, like a picture of Our Lady or a crucifix, and maybe even some extremely soft music playing. Anything that makes the environment peaceful, allowing for meditative prayer.
good luck!
 
God knows everything, so of COURSE He knows that those thoughts are unwanted :)! See Him as a loving father who sees how you are struggling and smiles on you when you pray.

Suggested reading (as there is a lot about unwanted thoughts in there too), *Scruples and their treatment" by Father William Doyle S.J.
Written loooong ago but sooo helpful :)!!

fatherdoyle.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/scruples-and-their-treatment.pdf
 
As said by others, these thoughts are something which is used by the evil one to distract you and stop you from praying. Sometime you tend to get deep into it causing complete distraction. However, God will help you to get back by reminding you about the unwanted thoughts, no matter what they’re. Pray to St.Michael, call upon your guardian Angel to help you to focus on your prayer and immediately continue with your prayers.

I would also suggest you to fast, pray and visit Blessed Sacrament everyday, even if it is for 5 mins… You will be greatly strengthened to fight against every evil and unwanted thoughts.

God Bless You.👍
 
I also struggle with intrusive thoughts a lot of the time. I’ve been praying the rosary a long time, and still find it a challenge to hold devotional thoughts all the time while praying. I find it helpful to say out loud ‘That is not my thought!’ and immediately resume the prayer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top