Throwing away old Advent Candles

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lead_Me_Home
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lead_Me_Home

Guest
I realized today as I went to light my home Advent wreath, that I did not have substantial candles. I am still converting to Catholicism, so when I used my Advent wreath last year I accidentally blessed it myself, I think a Priest is only supposed to bless the advent wreath. So, I can chuck the candles out like an old unblessed rosary, right?

HAPPY ADVENT!
 
I realized today as I went to light my home Advent wreath, that I did not have substantial candles. I am still converting to Catholicism, so when I used my Advent wreath last year I accidentally blessed it myself, I think a Priest is only supposed to bless the advent wreath. So, I can chuck the candles out like an old unblessed rosary, right?

HAPPY ADVENT!
Yes, you could just throw them away. If you’re not entirely comfortable with that, some people just light them (in a safe place!) and allow them to burn away.
 
BTW, can a lay person bless their own advent wreath?🙂
Oi!

Ok. Here’s the thing, simple answer is no, not really.

Complicated answer is this: A layperson can say a prayer over the wreath, and sometimes people might use the verb “to bless” but it’s not a real blessing in the complete sense of the word. Yes, you can say a prayer over it, but it won’t be a “blessed wreath” (as in a sacramental). More to the point of your original question, if you say a prayer over the wreath, you can safely dispose of it any (dignified) way you choose once you’re done with it. If however a priest blesses the wreath, it should be disposed-of in a more respectful way because of the blessing.

Most Sunday missallettes have a “blessing of an advent wreath” printed for this Sunday. You could pray those same words yourself at home, over the wreath. The better option is to have it properly blessed by a priest or deacon, but again, you could say these words yourself over the wreath.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top