I like some of Spike Lee’s stuff, though I should point out that I think that he is somewhat of a anti-non-black, if that makes sense.
This is from the wiki cite on the movie
From what I can tell, Mr. Lee is using it as a backdrop to frame a film, not as a historical work. This is not the same as Flags of our Fathers, more like Saving Private Ryan.
The real story is that over 500 Italians were rounded up, killed, and burned by a SS group. MOst of them were women, children and old men. There seems to be a story that some of the Black Soldiers in the Army were hidden by villagers, and this may more focus on that.
I would bet that Spike’s miricle is that Italians helped blacks. Opposite of Do the Right Thing. If you want a pro-Church movie, I bet that this is not it. Sorry.