D
distracted
Guest
August 19, 2010
Thursday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time
Thurs (8-19) mass readings / commentary (God will prove Himself to the nations as holy / People reject God’s invitation to his banquet & He gets very angry / the one with no “wedding garment” is thrown into outer darkness / [Purgatory?] / No OSAS)
Reading 1
Ez 36:23-28
***Thus says the LORD:
I will prove the holiness of my great name,
profaned among the nations, ***
in whose midst you have profaned it.
Thus the nations shall know that I am the LORD, says the Lord GOD,
when in their sight I prove my holiness through you.
For I will take you away from among the nations,
gather you from all the foreign lands,
and bring you back to your own land.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you
to cleanse you from all your impurities,
and from all your idols I will cleanse you.
I will give you a new heart and place a new spirit within you,
taking from your bodies your stony hearts
and giving you natural hearts.
I will put my spirit within you and make you live by my statutes,
careful to observe my decrees.
You shall live in the land I gave your ancestors;
you shall be my people, and I will be your God.
Ps. 51:12-13, 14-15, 18-19Responsorial Psalm. (Ezekiel 36:25)
I will pour clean water on you and wash away all your sins.
A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.
R. I will pour clean water on you and wash away all your sins.
Give me back the joy of your salvation,
and a willing spirit sustain in me.
I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners shall return to you.
R. I will pour clean water on you and wash away all your sins.
For you are not pleased with sacrifices;
should I offer a burnt offering, you would not accept it.
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
R. I will pour clean water on you and wash away all your sins.
Mt 22:1-14Gospel
Jesus again in reply spoke to the chief priests and the elders of the people in parables saying, “The Kingdom of Heaven may be likened to a king
who gave a wedding feast for his son.
He dispatched his servants to summon the invited guests to the feast,
but they refused to come.
A second time he sent other servants, saying,
‘Tell those invited: “Behold, I have prepared my banquet,
my calves and fattened cattle are killed,
and everything is ready; come to the feast.”’
Some ignored the invitation and went away,
one to his farm, another to his business.
The rest laid hold of his servants,
mistreated them, and killed them.
The king was enraged and sent his troops,
destroyed those murderers, and burned their city.
Then the king said to his servants, ‘The feast is ready,
but those who were invited were not worthy to come.
Go out, therefore, into the main roads
and invite to the feast whomever you find.’
The servants went out into the streets
and gathered all they found, bad and good alike,
and the hall was filled with guests.
But when the king came in to meet the guests
he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.
He said to him, ‘My friend, how is it
that you came in here without a wedding garment?’
But he was reduced to silence.
Then the king said to his attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet,
and cast him into the darkness outside,
where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’
Many are invited, but few are chosen.”
.
.
***God intervenes to show eveyrone His holiness, even though people profane His name. He knows we weak, frail, stupid, inept humans
constantly need His intervention… We are so forgetful of Him
The wedding garment… hmm…
:coffeeread:
I’ve always wondered what that was, exactly, but whatever it is, it is necessary to get into Heaven. I say it is Holiness**. Elsewhere it says that without holiness it is impossible to please God. We must have the cloak of Jesus Christ, who is Absolute Holiness… around us… in order to get into Heaven (or Purgatory-then-Heaven). Of course this person who was bound & thrown out of the “banquet” wasn’t IN Heaven because once you are there you are never thrown out… I guess he could have been at the entrance of Heaven?? 
i wonder if he was in Purgatory? or was he thrown into Purgatory? I mean, how did he manage to get into the banquet in he 1st place if he didn’t have the right “garment” on?
What does “the banquet” exactly signify?
In my opinion, this psg is futher evidence of the doctrine of Purgatory (not that we catechized Catholics need any further proof??). I say this because the King (God) says to the guy, “My friend…” Why does He call him “friend” if he is NOT his friend? Those who are not God’s friends go to Hell… Hmmm…
*
Thursday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time
Thurs (8-19) mass readings / commentary (God will prove Himself to the nations as holy / People reject God’s invitation to his banquet & He gets very angry / the one with no “wedding garment” is thrown into outer darkness / [Purgatory?] / No OSAS)
Reading 1
Ez 36:23-28
***Thus says the LORD:
I will prove the holiness of my great name,
profaned among the nations, ***
in whose midst you have profaned it.
Thus the nations shall know that I am the LORD, says the Lord GOD,
when in their sight I prove my holiness through you.
For I will take you away from among the nations,
gather you from all the foreign lands,
and bring you back to your own land.
I will sprinkle clean water upon you
to cleanse you from all your impurities,
and from all your idols I will cleanse you.
I will give you a new heart and place a new spirit within you,
taking from your bodies your stony hearts
and giving you natural hearts.
I will put my spirit within you and make you live by my statutes,
careful to observe my decrees.
You shall live in the land I gave your ancestors;
you shall be my people, and I will be your God.
Ps. 51:12-13, 14-15, 18-19Responsorial Psalm. (Ezekiel 36:25)
I will pour clean water on you and wash away all your sins.
A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.
R. I will pour clean water on you and wash away all your sins.
Give me back the joy of your salvation,
and a willing spirit sustain in me.
I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners shall return to you.
R. I will pour clean water on you and wash away all your sins.
For you are not pleased with sacrifices;
should I offer a burnt offering, you would not accept it.
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
R. I will pour clean water on you and wash away all your sins.
Mt 22:1-14Gospel
Jesus again in reply spoke to the chief priests and the elders of the people in parables saying, “The Kingdom of Heaven may be likened to a king
who gave a wedding feast for his son.
He dispatched his servants to summon the invited guests to the feast,
but they refused to come.
A second time he sent other servants, saying,
‘Tell those invited: “Behold, I have prepared my banquet,
my calves and fattened cattle are killed,
and everything is ready; come to the feast.”’
Some ignored the invitation and went away,
one to his farm, another to his business.
The rest laid hold of his servants,
mistreated them, and killed them.
The king was enraged and sent his troops,
destroyed those murderers, and burned their city.
Then the king said to his servants, ‘The feast is ready,
but those who were invited were not worthy to come.
Go out, therefore, into the main roads
and invite to the feast whomever you find.’
The servants went out into the streets
and gathered all they found, bad and good alike,
and the hall was filled with guests.
But when the king came in to meet the guests
he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.
He said to him, ‘My friend, how is it
that you came in here without a wedding garment?’
But he was reduced to silence.
Then the king said to his attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet,
and cast him into the darkness outside,
where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’
Many are invited, but few are chosen.”
.
.
***God intervenes to show eveyrone His holiness, even though people profane His name. He knows we weak, frail, stupid, inept humans
The wedding garment… hmm…
i wonder if he was in Purgatory? or was he thrown into Purgatory? I mean, how did he manage to get into the banquet in he 1st place if he didn’t have the right “garment” on?
In my opinion, this psg is futher evidence of the doctrine of Purgatory (not that we catechized Catholics need any further proof??). I say this because the King (God) says to the guy, “My friend…” Why does He call him “friend” if he is NOT his friend? Those who are not God’s friends go to Hell… Hmmm…
I think you can have Masses said for those who are… not only ill physically but ill spirituallly… (an orthodox priest would know for sure…)