Tips for memorizing prayers and responses for Mass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fieldsparrow
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fieldsparrow

Guest
I’m sure that we will be learning about this some in the RCIA classes but these days I find I need a little help when it comes to memorization. I tried to do a forum search but I’m not very good at those yet either – I seem to return every thread that uses the word “memorize” or “Mass,” of which there are rather a lot.

I think that eventually repetition will do it, but a lot of times I can’t understand what the congregation is saying. I have seen some reference to a missal or missalette – what is the difference? And can I get one somewhere to have at home to use? I tried looking in USCCB’s site but I could not quite tell which would be the right one.

I do have the New Mass iPhone app, which I hoped would be helpful, but it doesn’t seem to cover everything in a way that I understand. I think it assumes some knowledge I don’t already have.

Anyway, to try to be less verbose:
  • Can anyone suggest a good memorization technique beyond repetition? At this point I go to Mass daily but there are still things I am not picking up.
  • Should I buy a missal/ette and if so which one is the right one to have? Is there one that incorporates the upcoming changes as well as what is currently said?
Thank you for any help.
 
To be honest? I wouldn’t put the effort into memorzing the Mass as it stands now.

It’s going to change quite a bit in Nov, and you will be in the same boat as the rest of us 🙂

Here is the sample text

usccb.org/romanmissal/order-of-mass.pdf
I agree. Our Deacon and I attended a presentation on the changes in language in the liturgy recently, and came to the conclusion that although for some older “cradle” Catholics some of the wording will seem familiar, for us converts since Vatican II it may be more or less difficult.

In any case, perhaps just getting down the order of mass for now would be good; work on the language with the rest of us later this year. 😃
 
The memorization is always good. If yuo start now, do that with the text which will be obligatory form the coming Advent:

usccb.org/romanmissal/order-of-mass.pdf

Start with the Penitential act (I confess), Gloria, Creed, Sanctus, Agnus Dei and follow with the Canon.

The easiest way to memorize, to read it loudly for yourself, or let it to be read for you by your computer. If you google for it, you will find many methods and programs for that.

Since the new missalettes are not out yet, do not by hand missals. In most if not all churches there are missal booklets either on the pews or in the gathering place on shelves. Take one home, and in the next donation add $5 more, that will be the double of the cost for a missalette booklet, be familiar with it, and next time follow the mass from that
 
I’ve often found memorization easier when accompanied by the music, at least in Latin, Polish, and English. And I expect some music will be made available by November.
 
What kind of learner are you? Do you learn by reading, by hearing or by speaking? Concentrate on whichever is most helpful to you.

In order to get the right texts - the ones you don’t get by listening to the congregation, I suggest you get a copy of Magnificat magazine. It has all the texts for Mass prayers, all the readings for Sunday and daily Masses, plus a short version of Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer and Night Prayer. It is published monthly, so it will always be up to date. I think you can get a free copy from their website, www.magnificat.com. A subscription is a little expensive, but it’s well worth it.
 
It takes most of of us cradle Catholics 7 to 8 years to have everything down pat. Give it time

There is no reward for memorizing. All churches I have been to had a missal for us to use, so there is no need when you can read. The more I think about it, I am not sure I get as much out of or put enough into the prayers I can rattle off from memory. As another poster mentioned, later this year there will be a few changes that will make many of us feel out of sorts. For once, many of us will share a newness of the Mass with our new members.
 
Thanks all.

For me I am better able to concentrate on the words when I have them memorized vs. trying to read from the book in any kind of synchronization. But I should have a bit more patience. 😃

Magnificat magazine looks excellent. I did request a sample copy and I imagine I will subscribe when I have the money available to do so, since the other content and focus on the readings (with the Daily Mass supplement especially) looks really great.

Thank you again.
 
I’m - Should I buy a missal/ette and if so which one is the right one to have? Is there one that incorporates the upcoming changes as well as what is currently said?

Thank you for any help.
don’t spend too much time trying to memorize Mass prayers and responses now, as some of them will change when the re-translation of the English from the original Latin is published and put into use in Advent 2011. It will be too confusing to try and learn both. For now use the pew missalette, or one of the monthly publications that has the order of the Mass and the readings, such as Word Among Us or Magnificat, which will update automatically. Don’t spend money on a permanent hard cover book now until new editions come out.

There is also a lot to be said for refraining from memorization, as for the time being you will be both reading and reciting, which not only aides memory, but can make prayer more intentional and effective.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top