S
SighGuy
Guest
cin.org/users/james/files/tulip.htm
This has caused me immense distress. I must be mis-reading it. I’d like someone to help me, here. I have the sickest feeling that I cannot even truly be awake, that I must be in a sort of awful nightmare.
It’s especially the part of Unconditional Election. It seems set against everything I thought I knew about Catholicism. It would seem to completely eliminate the meaningfulness of merit and free will. It seems to make free will into a sort of practical joke, so to speak. Either God has predestined you for glory, in which case you’ll will it (without being able not to), or God has “passed over” you, and since God made you unable to merit Heaven by your own means, as your natural will is so severely wounded, you’re assuredly damned (thus it’s not a double predestination, but in terms of the results, it is)
I can’t see where free will plays into this. It’s the sort of thing I would have laughed at to hear, if I weren’t now hearing it from CA apologists.
Be kind, here. I’m not trying to rail against God, or anyone. I’m feeling like everything I know about my faith is completely shattered and useless. It’s kind of rough.
This has caused me immense distress. I must be mis-reading it. I’d like someone to help me, here. I have the sickest feeling that I cannot even truly be awake, that I must be in a sort of awful nightmare.
It’s especially the part of Unconditional Election. It seems set against everything I thought I knew about Catholicism. It would seem to completely eliminate the meaningfulness of merit and free will. It seems to make free will into a sort of practical joke, so to speak. Either God has predestined you for glory, in which case you’ll will it (without being able not to), or God has “passed over” you, and since God made you unable to merit Heaven by your own means, as your natural will is so severely wounded, you’re assuredly damned (thus it’s not a double predestination, but in terms of the results, it is)
I can’t see where free will plays into this. It’s the sort of thing I would have laughed at to hear, if I weren’t now hearing it from CA apologists.
Be kind, here. I’m not trying to rail against God, or anyone. I’m feeling like everything I know about my faith is completely shattered and useless. It’s kind of rough.