R
Randi
Guest
My husband and I have a very different perspective on tithing, but because I trust my husband, and I trust God to lead him to what is right as the spiritual leader of our household, I hold my tongue (mostly
). I was raised to believe that when we join a church, we are required to tithe 10% of our income, and this is what I did with my income from part-time jobs when I lived in my parentsâ home. Well, my husband and I have not been members at any church since the church where we met as teens, yet we have visited various churches. Now that we are joining the Catholic church, I feel that we are obligated to begin tithing. We always place something in the offering plate every time we visit a church, and since beginning attending our local Catholic church, we have been giving more than we might ever have elsewhere (Godâs hand is active in that change).
So, because of some financial difficulties (and I know most people are experiencing some fairly dramatic changes in their financial status in America right now), when we begin soon to use the offering envelope system, which will track our giving, we will not be able to give 10% for quite some time. My husband sees nothing wrong with that, but me?..I feel very wrong about it. Part of it is guilt for having made the financial mistakes in the first place (although some things are not our fault, but due to the actions of others as well), but part of it really has to do with my being taught to give 10% in tithing.
As a stay-at-home mother, I receive a monthly deposit to my spending account for groceries and other necessities from my husbandâs paycheck each month. Should I be tithing 10% from that money in addition to whatever my husband tithes on behalf of our family, or would that be wrong of me? I want God to show our family how to tithe properly, and I want my husband to feel like he is leading us and that I support him, but what should I do when I have a different perspective from him on tithing? Am I doing Godâs will by giving my opinion, but then allowing my husband to lead, even if he does not feel convicted?
This is also a tricky subject because the truth of it is that if I tithe 10% out of my household account, I will have not enough to cover the amount we currently are spending for a family of four, and now we have a baby on the way.
I love my husband and I trust him, I also trust God to lead us in the right way. I am just confused about how to go about handling a situation when my husband and I disagree in a matter of conscience. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
So, because of some financial difficulties (and I know most people are experiencing some fairly dramatic changes in their financial status in America right now), when we begin soon to use the offering envelope system, which will track our giving, we will not be able to give 10% for quite some time. My husband sees nothing wrong with that, but me?..I feel very wrong about it. Part of it is guilt for having made the financial mistakes in the first place (although some things are not our fault, but due to the actions of others as well), but part of it really has to do with my being taught to give 10% in tithing.
As a stay-at-home mother, I receive a monthly deposit to my spending account for groceries and other necessities from my husbandâs paycheck each month. Should I be tithing 10% from that money in addition to whatever my husband tithes on behalf of our family, or would that be wrong of me? I want God to show our family how to tithe properly, and I want my husband to feel like he is leading us and that I support him, but what should I do when I have a different perspective from him on tithing? Am I doing Godâs will by giving my opinion, but then allowing my husband to lead, even if he does not feel convicted?
This is also a tricky subject because the truth of it is that if I tithe 10% out of my household account, I will have not enough to cover the amount we currently are spending for a family of four, and now we have a baby on the way.
I love my husband and I trust him, I also trust God to lead us in the right way. I am just confused about how to go about handling a situation when my husband and I disagree in a matter of conscience. Any thoughts would be appreciated!