D
D0UBTFIRE
Guest
I’m getting married in June, and both my fiance and I love the extraordinary form of the mass although we’ve been exposed to it very little. We would like our wedding to be in this form. The priest that is going to be marrying us knows the latin form (he’s like 85 yrs old; plus I asked around). I usually communicate with the deacon about all things regarding my wedding, and I requested that our wedding be in latin, but he says that he personally and the pastor (which is not the priest that will be marrying us) do not “believe in” the latin form. However, if the pastor says it’s okay then we can do it, the deacon himself doesn’t really care that much. But he has doubts regarding the pastor being okay with it. He thinks the pastor will be opposed to it because he doesn’t want the word getting around that they did a latin nuptial mass and having others lining up for it. He is going to ask the pastor and told me to call him later this week to find out what he said.
I’m hopeful it will be “YES” and that we can have it as we want it, but I have some very serious doubts. I’ve been reading about the Motu Proprio “Summorum Pontificum” and it seems that according to that, that they really can’t refuse to allow it. Am I understanding that document properly? Please help me to prepare for speaking to this deacon and/or pastor incase the pastor says he won’t allow it.
Also, I read somewhere that there is the Extraordinary form of the mass (which is in latin), and that there is also the Ordinary form done in latin and that there is a difference. Could someone elaborate on that? What is my priest most likely familiar with and how big of a difference does it make and which one does the Motu Proprio “Summorum Pontificum” apply to?
I also have a lot of questions regarding how it’s done…especially in regards to the music. Is there a book that has the music that is used in the TLM? Is an organist used? Is a choir required or does a cantor suffice? How tacky/inappropriate would a CD be - say for example I wanted a beautiful instrumental Agnus Dei playing during communion but the Church’s musicians aren’t comfortable performing it - could I pop in a CD? (Specifically, does anyone know if Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings can be used during the mass?)
If I’m interpreting the Motu Proprio “Summorum Pontificum” in the wrong manner, and I infact to not have some kind of right to have the TLM for my wedding provided there is a priest who is familiar with, I would like to know a lot more about the music. Could I have an English mass with all the music in latin/instrumental, and where could I find this music? (I’m thinking of the Responsorial Psalms and the selection that the music director gave us for the wedding and how much I disliked it). Besides the music, are there any other tips anyone might have on how to make the nuptial mass that is done in the ordinary form a little more traditional that I could incorporate?
Thanks in advance!!!
I’m hopeful it will be “YES” and that we can have it as we want it, but I have some very serious doubts. I’ve been reading about the Motu Proprio “Summorum Pontificum” and it seems that according to that, that they really can’t refuse to allow it. Am I understanding that document properly? Please help me to prepare for speaking to this deacon and/or pastor incase the pastor says he won’t allow it.
Also, I read somewhere that there is the Extraordinary form of the mass (which is in latin), and that there is also the Ordinary form done in latin and that there is a difference. Could someone elaborate on that? What is my priest most likely familiar with and how big of a difference does it make and which one does the Motu Proprio “Summorum Pontificum” apply to?
I also have a lot of questions regarding how it’s done…especially in regards to the music. Is there a book that has the music that is used in the TLM? Is an organist used? Is a choir required or does a cantor suffice? How tacky/inappropriate would a CD be - say for example I wanted a beautiful instrumental Agnus Dei playing during communion but the Church’s musicians aren’t comfortable performing it - could I pop in a CD? (Specifically, does anyone know if Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings can be used during the mass?)
If I’m interpreting the Motu Proprio “Summorum Pontificum” in the wrong manner, and I infact to not have some kind of right to have the TLM for my wedding provided there is a priest who is familiar with, I would like to know a lot more about the music. Could I have an English mass with all the music in latin/instrumental, and where could I find this music? (I’m thinking of the Responsorial Psalms and the selection that the music director gave us for the wedding and how much I disliked it). Besides the music, are there any other tips anyone might have on how to make the nuptial mass that is done in the ordinary form a little more traditional that I could incorporate?
Thanks in advance!!!