To first believe,what must happen?

• Thread starter Thread starter verismo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

verismo

Hello, thanks for considering my question,

When wrestling with Calvinists, I come up again and again to the idea of Predestination.

They say that to first believe in Jesus, God has to have first changed your heart, basically regenerate you before your fallen heart could ever believe in Him.

Now, in the CCC I see that Faith is a Grace, and it is a Human act; that before a man can exercise his Faith, he has to have the help of the Holy Spirit (CCC 153).

My question is this: Is this Grace open to all people who ask for it, or only to certain ones that are chosen; i.e. “the elect”. CCC 154 starts saying: " believing is possible only by grace and the interior helps of the Holy Spirit."; now are those interior workings at work in all people, or only “the elect”, so that to those who He is not working in have no hope of believing.

Thank you very much.

The interior helps of the Holy Spirit are at work in all people as God “desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth”. (1 Tim 2:4) “The desire for God is written in the human heart, because man is created by God and for God; and God never ceases to draw man to himself.” (CCC 27) Faith, through the free gift of grace, is man’s response to God’s call.

For help in dealing with Calvinist, see the article “Grace” in the Catholic Encyclopedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back