I am wondering how many parents raise their kids telling them about santa claus? My parents told me about Santa and I wasn’t angry with them when I got older, but there are some people that tell me it is like lying to your children. My Hubby and I see nothing wrong with Santa, but some level headed opinions would be nice as well as advice on how to balance Santa with the Catholic faith.

A great question!!! My children have always been brought up that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus’ birth and I had to get creative to explain who Santa was when my kids saw him in the mall. I told them them the story about St. Nicholas - “Obeying Jesus’ words to “sell what you own and give the money to the poor,” Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to the those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.”
I told them that Jesus sent “Santa” down to earth to remind children that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus’ birth and that the gifts from “Santa” were really gifts from Jesus because Jesus wanted to reward my children for the “good works” that they had performed during the year. I know that it is wrong to lie to children, but in the spur of the moment what is a mom to do? And since my oldest child is now old enough to tell the story that I told him, he has now told his sisters and thus my little “white lie” is continued as family tradition.
I found this poem on-line that seems to explain St. Nicholas and Santa Claus quite well.
Everybody loves Santa Claus. He embodies holiday cheer, happiness, fun, and gifts—warm happy aspects of the Christmas season. How do Santa Claus and St. Nicholas differ?
Santa Claus belongs to childhood;
St. Nicholas models for all of life.
Santa Claus, as we know him, developed to boost Christmas sales—the commercial Christmas message;
St. Nicholas told the story of Christ and peace, goodwill toward all—the hope-filled Christmas message.
Santa Claus encourages consumption;
St. Nicholas encourages compassion.
Santa Claus appears each year to be seen and heard for a short time;
St. Nicholas is part of the communion of saints, surrounding us always with prayer and example.
Santa Claus flies through the air—from the North Pole;
St. Nicholas walked the earth—caring for those in need.
Santa Claus, for some, replaces the Babe of Bethlehem;
St. Nicholas, for all, points to the Babe of Bethlehem.
Santa Claus isn’t bad;
St. Nicholas is just better.
—J. Rosenthal & C. Myers
My children and I have been working on becoming more like St. Nicholas - although times have been financially tough for my family and often we do not have enough money to purchase all of our present needs, we are still to give from the little that we have to others, who have even less.
My children’s school has an Advent project called the “giving tree” each year. The children do various chores around the house and earn money from their parents for doing them. The money in turn, does not get to be kept by the student, but is given to the school. The school uses the money to brighten the Christmases of people in the community who may be having a hard time of it. Every time a child brings in their “earnings” their name is put on a paper “Christmas Ornament” and hung on the tree in the centre of the school. My children loved seeing their name put on an ornament, knowing that they were helping someone in need… and they also forgot for a few moments about the things that they may not have and were happy for the things that they have been blessed with.