To those who follow Sola Scriptura

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pjs2ejs
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pjs2ejs

Guest
Would you still be Christian if there had been no New Testament written?
 
Would you still be Christian if there had been no New Testament written?
Apparently, none of our Protestant brethren want to respond. It may be that the question seems like asking if they had had no parents would they still be here. The fact that they had parents and are here is obvious, so it may be obvious to them that there had to be a NT for there to be Christianity, if you see what I mean. Either that or they see it as baiting since we Catholics believe that with or without a NT Christianity did exist and would still exist within the Church.
 
Ummm? Protestants don’t consider the early church to be outside them. They claim the early Church as we do. They started stripping away tradition when some in the Church were using purgatory for monetary reasons. Unfortunatley they seem to be doing it today as well.

They, if I remember right, charge $300 to have to have the Gregorian masses for your dead loved one. Masses for 30 consecutive days. I wish they would just say send support if you can.

If I am wrong about this someone tell me, but that is what mom had to send for dad.

I don’t try to convert protestants, and I don’t like it when they come and say we are the whore of babylon and such nonsense. I try to leave it in the hands of God through prayer.

One cannot answer your question unless we knew what Luther would do.
 
Would you still be Christian if there had been no New Testament written?
I like this question. It invites Sola Scripturaists to take a trip back to the Apostolic age. They’ll find themselves naked in a sense.
 
One other note:

The reformation was rebellion caused by some abusing their authority, Just as we are all scandalized now because of a few Homosexual priests doing the same. The lesson of the reformation is not for the Protestants, but for the Roman Catholic Church.
 
Ummm? Protestants don’t consider the early church to be outside them. They claim the early Church as we do. They started stripping away tradition when some in the Church were using purgatory for monetary reasons. Unfortunatley they seem to be doing it today as well.

They, if I remember right, charge $300 to have to have the Gregorian masses for your dead loved one. Masses for 30 consecutive days. I wish they would just say send support if you can.
Code:
It's actually a tradition to offer monetary amounts for a mass to be done for a deceased person. It's different from the protestant "reformation" where you could just "buy" your way into Heaven. Plus, there's really no fixed amount, just 5 dollars would do. Now back on the subject at hand. 

I think protestants just aren't rooted in church history to care about it. I talked to a protestant about what council put the bible together, and he gave me a site that said the bible was put together around 55 AD. I asked him, well when was the Gospel of Mark written. No answer. Not one answer as to when any of the NT books were written. Also, most protestants would say that the early church did put together the bible, but a different church than the Catholic Church. If they could just look at history........:(
 
Hello,
They, if I remember right, charge $300 to have to have the Gregorian masses for your dead loved one. Masses for 30 consecutive days. I wish they would just say send support if you can.

If I am wrong about this someone tell me, but that is what mom had to send for dad.
It seems that you are refering to Mass stipends. Currently, the maximum allowed (canonically, I think) is ten dollars (30 times 10 equals 300). If a person genuinely cannot afford this (a beggar and not a cheap millionaire), then the Mass should still be said without the stipend. Also, a priest can only accept one stipend per day, no matter how many intentions he has. Think about it, ten dollars per day - not a get rich quick scheme.
 
Hello,

It seems that you are refering to Mass stipends. Currently, the maximum allowed (canonically, I think) is ten dollars (30 times 10 equals 300). If a person genuinely cannot afford this (a beggar and not a cheap millionaire), then the Mass should still be said without the stipend. Also, a priest can only accept one stipend per day, no matter how many intentions he has. Think about it, ten dollars per day - not a get rich quick scheme.
Thanks guys, that has been bugging me.
 
Code:
I think protestants just aren't rooted in church history to care about it. I talked to a protestant about what council put the bible together, and he gave me a site that said the bible was put together around 55 AD. I asked him, well when was the Gospel of Mark written. No answer. Not one answer as to when any of the NT books were written. Also, most protestants would say that the early church did put together the bible, but a different church than the Catholic Church. If they could just look at history........:(
Not true! Here is a protestant defending the Catholic church from people of the cult of “The Rulers of Evil”. at a blog I visit.
Any public library has secular history books where one can read on Constantine’s conversion of the pagan Roman empire to the Holy Roman Empire, recycling all the old gods and goddesses by fiat simply by renaming them.
I suppose this is typical of Saucey’s “history”. The Holy Roman Empire was started by Charlemagne in the 9th century, not Constantine in the 4th. You all need to read some real history books. Constantine also had little theological influence on the church, no pagan gods were incorporated into Christianity, even assuming the Constantine did “rename” them. If by “Holy Roman Empire” you mean that Constantine made Christianity the official religion of Rome, sorry, he didn’t even do that. Constantine made Christianity legal, but not the only legal religion, in Rome. Christianity was made the official religion of the Roman Empire in 393-394 in a series of edicts made by Theodosius.
Larry | 01.16.07 - 2:49 pm |
just to clarify, I see that www.catholic.com is not Woodrow’s site, but that he is just a contributor. Still I stand by my suspicions of Woodrow as a plant to discredit Hyslop’s writings.
This is a classic ad hominem argument. Attack the ideas, not the man, whether or not Woodrow is a Catholic has no bearing on the truth or falsity of his ideas.
Larry | 01.16.07 - 2:52 pm |
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top