P
PeteZaHut
Guest
What are we supposed to get from this?
Jesus compares heaven to a landowner who hires laborers for his vineyard for the day. He hired laborers at the start of the day, and they agree to the usual daily wage. He also hires laborers later in the day and some near the end of the day. At the end of the day, the landowner pays all the laborers the same amount. The workers who worked all day are upset because they worked longer than the others, but received the same amount. The landowner responds that they haven’t been cheated becase they were paid what they agreed upon. Why should they be upset that he was generous to the other workers?
I can easily sympathize with the laborers who worked all day. I had a summer job this summer. I found out that there were some employees in lower positions than I, and they were receiving hirer wages. I thought of this Bible passage and realized that I wasn’t technically being cheated; I was still receiving the wage that I agreed to. But, I still couldn’t help but be angry. If I knew that my subordinates would be paid more than me, I wouldn’t have agreed to that wage in the first place. I felt like I was taken advantage of.
Then, I realized, this is a parable, and there must be a deeper meaning.
Like others I know, it’s hard for me to understand how people could truly deserve eternity in hell as a just punishment for the sins they commit on earth (obviously there are exception, vicious murderers, etc.). I know the church teaches that a mortal sin turns you away from God. I do not deny that teaching, so I am not trying to say anything contrary to the church. It’s just one of those parts of the faith that I don’t completely understand.
Anyway, it led me to think this about today’s Gospel. Is Christ perhaps saying that we should not be jealous of God’s mercy to others? Since God lets big sinners and small sinners into heaven, is this saying that the more saintly shouldn’t be jealous that God saves those big sinners too?
Jesus compares heaven to a landowner who hires laborers for his vineyard for the day. He hired laborers at the start of the day, and they agree to the usual daily wage. He also hires laborers later in the day and some near the end of the day. At the end of the day, the landowner pays all the laborers the same amount. The workers who worked all day are upset because they worked longer than the others, but received the same amount. The landowner responds that they haven’t been cheated becase they were paid what they agreed upon. Why should they be upset that he was generous to the other workers?
I can easily sympathize with the laborers who worked all day. I had a summer job this summer. I found out that there were some employees in lower positions than I, and they were receiving hirer wages. I thought of this Bible passage and realized that I wasn’t technically being cheated; I was still receiving the wage that I agreed to. But, I still couldn’t help but be angry. If I knew that my subordinates would be paid more than me, I wouldn’t have agreed to that wage in the first place. I felt like I was taken advantage of.
Then, I realized, this is a parable, and there must be a deeper meaning.
Like others I know, it’s hard for me to understand how people could truly deserve eternity in hell as a just punishment for the sins they commit on earth (obviously there are exception, vicious murderers, etc.). I know the church teaches that a mortal sin turns you away from God. I do not deny that teaching, so I am not trying to say anything contrary to the church. It’s just one of those parts of the faith that I don’t completely understand.
Anyway, it led me to think this about today’s Gospel. Is Christ perhaps saying that we should not be jealous of God’s mercy to others? Since God lets big sinners and small sinners into heaven, is this saying that the more saintly shouldn’t be jealous that God saves those big sinners too?