Today's Plenary Indulgence

• Thread starter Thread starter JGheen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
JGheen:
FYI: The Pope declared a special plenary indulgence that we can get today! It is also a Holy Day of Obligation for most of us - so get to mass!

cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=40979
Thanks for the reminder.
Don’t forget…One must also get to confession in order to be in a state to receive the indulgence so make sure you also get to confession very soon!

This, from Fr. Hamilton at Catholic Ragemonkeys to earn the indulgence:
  1. Attendance at some sacred rite in honor of the BVM on the solemnity (Mass would fulfill this; one could attend other functions in her honor too, but, it must be clear, that those would in no way replace the Mass) and praying the Creed, the Our Father, and some invocation/prayer in Mary’s honor (Hail Mary, Salve Regina, Rosary, etc.).
  2. Confession at some point before or after December 8th, within a week of the solemnity.
  3. Worthy reception of the Holy Eucharist (the December 8th Mass would meet this nicely).
  4. Saying prayers for the Pope’s intentions.
  5. Being detached from all attraction to sin.
My read is that the bottom line is that attendance at a December 8th Mass with the other prayers listed in #1, plus the other normal conditions listed in #s 2-4, would fulfill the requirements for this year’s Plenary Indulgence.

ragemonkey.blogspot.com/2005_12_04_ragemonkey_archive.html#113371067292897150

40.png
SnorterLuster:
This, from Fr. Hamilton at Catholic Ragemonkeys to earn the indulgence:
  1. Attendance at some sacred rite in honor of the BVM on the solemnity (Mass would fulfill this; one could attend other functions in her honor too, but, it must be clear, that those would in no way replace the Mass) and praying the Creed, the Our Father, and some invocation/prayer in Mary’s honor (Hail Mary, Salve Regina, Rosary, etc.).
  2. Confession at some point before or after December 8th, within a week of the solemnity.
  3. Worthy reception of the Holy Eucharist (the December 8th Mass would meet this nicely).
My read is that the bottom line is that attendance at a December 8th Mass with the other prayers listed in #1, plus the other normal conditions listed in #s 2-4, would fulfill the requirements for this year’s Plenary Indulgence.

Why would you have to go to Confession if you are already living in a state of grace?

40.png
thistle:
Why would you have to go to Confession if you are already living in a state of grace?
That is one of the “usual” stipulations to earn a plenary indulgence.

Of course there is the potential weather problem here in Indiana. Bummer.

What a beautiful day! Commemorating the very beginning of our savation!

DH & I went to 8am Mass, and he was asked to give the homily when he walked in. Normally he freaks out all week before doing something like this, but it was beautiful. The Holy Spirit took over for him! I don’t get to hear him preach much, because at his assignment, the pastor doesn’t leat him preach, so today was a double joy for me.

Detroit Sue:
What a beautiful day! Commemorating the very beginning of our savation!

DH & I went to 8am Mass, and he was asked to give the homily when he walked in. Normally he freaks out all week before doing something like this, but it was beautiful. The Holy Spirit took over for him! I don’t get to hear him preach much, because at his assignment, the pastor doesn’t leat him preach, so today was a double joy for me.
Is your husband a deacon?

I have a question about the instructions for the plenary indulgence for the feast of the immaculate conception today. Along with confession, communion, and prayer for the intentions of the pope, it says we should:

“participate in a sacred rite in its honour or at least offer an open witness of Marian devotion before an image of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, displayed for public veneration, adding the recitation of the Our Father and the Creed and exclamatory invocations to Mary Immaculate”

It sounds like fulfilling the obligation takes care of this since it is a sacred rite in honor of Mary and we say the creed and the our father. Is that correct?

It’s too bad that my church won’t have confession prior to mass to allow catholics to partake of this indulgence. How about anyone else?
S

40.png
slewi:
It’s too bad that my church won’t have confession prior to mass to allow catholics to partake of this indulgence. How about anyone else?
S
You have one week after the devotion to gain the plenary indulgence. So you can go to Confession on Saturday.

40.png
Orionthehunter:
You have one week after the devotion to gain the plenary indulgence. So you can go to Confession on Saturday.
I read one source, posted in a related thread, that indicated that 20 days was reasonable for one to go to Confession. However, that reference was for the Jubilee Year 2000.

Today at Mass, the priest told us that we had eight days to go to Confession.

This is from Father Hamilton on Catholic Ragemonkeys:

The tough one will be #5. My priest said go for the indulgence and let God sort it out.

awalt said:

Amen! 20 days! Perhaps the rules have been changes because of the priest shortage.
  1. It is appropriate, but not necessary, that the sacramental Confession and especially Holy Communion and the prayer for the Pope’s intentions take place on the same day that the indulgenced work is performed; but it is sufficient that these sacred rites and prayers be carried out within several days (about 20) before or after the indulgenced act.

40.png
SnorterLuster:
That is one of the “usual” stipulations to earn a plenary indulgence.
But what’s the reason?
Confession abolves you from mortal sins.
Mass absolves you from venial sins.
The only thing left is unremitted temporal punishment for mortal sins already forgiven which is what is taken away by the plenary indulgence.

So if you are not in a state of mortal sin, and Mass for the Immaculte Conception frees you from venial sin why would you need to go to Confession?

40.png
thistle:
But what’s the reason?
Confession abolves you from mortal sins.
Mass absolves you from venial sins.
The only thing left is unremitted temporal punishment for mortal sins already forgiven which is what is taken away by the plenary indulgence.

So if you are not in a state of mortal sin, and Mass for the Immaculte Conception frees you from venial sin why would you need to go to Confession?
Confession is good for the soul, mortal or venial sins.
I asked my Pastor what I should say if I am not in a state of mortal sin but want to make the requirement of Sacramental Confession.
He told me to say just that, I am here to make the requirement of Sacramental Confession for the Plenary Indulgence.
Simple enough!

Our pastor is orthodox but knew nothing about it. I am going to copy the article from the Vatican source and mail it to him. Why wouldn’t this come down thru the Archdioces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back