Tonus Simplex

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ora_et_Labora_1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it literally translates to “a simple tone (melody)”. For example, if a te deum is sung “tonus simplex” is just a simpler version of the te deum.

All you chant geeks, am I on target? I’m still learning about chant, and loving it, but I don’t know everything there is to know. Yet. 😃
 
I believe it literally translates to “a simple tone (melody)”. For example, if a te deum is sung “tonus simplex” is just a simpler version of the te deum.

All you chant geeks, am I on target? I’m still learning about chant, and loving it, but I don’t know everything there is to know. Yet. 😃
I’d love to learn about chant, but there really aren’t any scholas where I live. Do you have any suggestions?
 
I’d love to learn about chant, but there really aren’t any scholas where I live. Do you have any suggestions?
Where do you life, and what’s your gender? I’ll see what I can find. Please say you’re a fellow wisconsin dude…
I am also part of a new schola, and I really enjoy it!
 
Where do you life, and what’s your gender? I’ll see what I can find. Please say you’re a fellow wisconsin dude…
I am also part of a new schola, and I really enjoy it!
I live in Portugal; I’m male.
 
One suggestion would be a Benedictine Abbey (preferably one of the Congregation St-Pierre de Solesmes). Is there still a functioning Cistercian Abbey in or near Alcobaça? If so, that would be another possibility. Or, you could ask Fr José.
 
As a thumb rule tonus festive is if one syllable is sung using more than one (up to a dozen) different pitches; in the tonus simplex one syllable is almost always one pitch.

Naturaly the tones are not made up ad libitum by the singer(s) they are collected as notes and sung accordingly.

Some collections of the notes are downloadable from here

sanctamissa.org/en/music/gregorian-chant/
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top