Too much confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JackVk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JackVk

Guest
I’ve gotten into the habit of going to confession a lot lately. I do the Five First Saturdays devotion as well. But now it feels like I am always having to grab the priest before Mass if I may have done something that could have remotely been a sin. I can’t draw the line between mortal and venial sin anymore. I know it’s grave matter, full knowledge and full consent. I was trash-talking about March Madness just a little bit ago and called KU “gay-U”. Should I go to confession…again? I’m so confused.
 
The example you gave is not grave matter.

I think you are tending toward scrupulosity.
 
jackVk: im not being sarcastic.Has the priest told you not to come back for awhile?If not go as often as you like.God bless.
 
I’ve gotten into the habit of going to confession a lot lately. I do the Five First Saturdays devotion as well. But now it feels like I am always having to grab the priest before Mass if I may have done something that could have remotely been a sin. I can’t draw the line between mortal and venial sin anymore. I know it’s grave matter, full knowledge and full consent. I was trash-talking about March Madness just a little bit ago and called KU “gay-U”. Should I go to confession…again? I’m so confused.
I had the same problem some time ago, when I had alot of time on my hands, and was able to literally base my whole life around God… At the time I was attending Mass daily and spent hours in prayer everyday.

All I can say is that if you feel compelled to confess a sin, then just go with your conscience… Maybe God is offering you some type of Grace. On the same token, you should’nt tire yourself out with guilt over venial sins.
 
Talk to the priest. He can give you guidelines personalized just for you about when it is necessary to grab a priest before Mass. You do sound as if you are tending toward scrupulosity, which is a crippling spiritual disease. The cure is obedience to one and only one confessor, and I urge you to choose one priest to discuss this matter with and use as your exclusive confessor.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top