Traditional Church view on "warning dreams" or visions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kathryn_Ann
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kathryn_Ann

Guest
Does the Church:highprayer: teach that we as laypersons can have warning dreams, (such as Joseph’s dream to flee to Egypt with the Holy Family for safety?

I’m not speaking here of reading the stars, or portents, but of warnings or precognitive dreams, or even dreams that are like visions?
There might be examples of saints having these kinds of dreams or visions besides the above mentioned circumstance. I’d appreciate any examples or instruction on this.

Is this considered outside the teachings of the Church, or does it sometime happen to faithful Catholics that they too are told something in a dream, or have a dream-like vision or even a warning dream?
Thank you and God Bless all here.:angel1:
 
I believe it happens, yes. I also believe it’s easy to delude yourself about such things, or to be deluded. If you are having potentially spiritual dreams, it’s best to discuss them with an experienced priest and/or spiritual director. True discernment is a rare gift, as is a true vision.
 
Yes, I think prophetic dreams might be similar to other psychic experiences that the Catechism recognizes as naturally occurring events that we don’t fully understand. I don’t have a copy of the CCC near me right now, but you could probably look under “dreams,” “visions,” maybe “telepathy”…we shouldn’t seek to have such experiences, but it is certainly okay if they happen to us. I don’t think that precognitive dreams are all that unusual.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that this was posted in the Traditional forum, so perhaps you were looking for information on what the Church has taught over the years before the 1992 catechism?
 
Yes, I think prophetic dreams might be similar to other psychic experiences that the Catechism recognizes as naturally occurring events that we don’t fully understand. I don’t have a copy of the CCC near me right now, but you could probably look under “dreams,” “visions,” maybe “telepathy”…we shouldn’t seek to have such experiences, but it is certainly okay if they happen to us. I don’t think that precognitive dreams are all that unusual.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that this was posted in the Traditional forum, so perhaps you were looking for information on what the Church has taught over the years before the 1992 catechism?
The teachings of the Church have not changed on this. How could they?
 
I’d like to know. Because last year on the night of Ash Wednesday I had a dream that meteors were hitting earth. Two days later, that happened in Russia. Also, that night I saw a very dark shadow standing over my bed. Hmm.
 
The teachings of the Church have not changed on this. How could they?
I didn’t mean to suggest that doctrine had changed, but maybe it used to be understood differently. Maybe psychological experiences are seen in a more neutral way now? I didn’t know, that’s why I included my ‘edit.’
 
Does the Church:highprayer: teach that we as laypersons can have warning dreams, (such as Joseph’s dream to flee to Egypt with the Holy Family for safety?

I’m not speaking here of reading the stars, or portents, but of warnings or precognitive dreams, or even dreams that are like visions?
There might be examples of saints having these kinds of dreams or visions besides the above mentioned circumstance. I’d appreciate any examples or instruction on this.

Is this considered outside the teachings of the Church, or does it sometime happen to faithful Catholics that they too are told something in a dream, or have a dream-like vision or even a warning dream?
Thank you and God Bless all here.:angel1:
When discussing dreams we are talking about many many things that may cause them.
It is difficult to talk of cause and effect because of this.

The dreams in the bible obviously are supernaturally caused as in the case of St. Joseph when an angel appeared to him in a dream. But these are important events. I don’t think it would be correct to compare St. Joseph’s dream to our dream.

For this reason, private dreams are considered to be left to die a natural death of neglect.

However I understand why you would be concerned because of the unusual connection between your dream and what happened in real life, but what could you have done? Would you have done anything? And how far would people go to believe it was important?

So dreams are treated as having too many sour pickles on our sandwich and left at that.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
 
Eastern rite Catholics, of course still and always were catholic, have a deeper spirituality than RC Catholics.

It is quite common for us to have prophetic dreams. My first one was when I was about 6 years old, I told my mom about it in the morning, and by dinner time it was fulfilled. My mother has, even my son has them.

It is also common to “hear voices”. You actually don’t hear it through your ears but like a vibration in the heart giving sounds. I’m one of those who talk to the Lord throughout the day just doing my usual chores. Sometimes I get a response. How I know it is true is that it is never a response I could have fathomed on my own and secondly it is always good, like give to the poor, say a rosary for him…etc.

We also celebrate 40 days after someone died, always with a mass first some people can afford BIG lavish parties. We celebrate that the person has gone into the light as for 40 days they didn’t know they died, wander the earth, trying to say good bye.

I know this sounds crazy if you’re not eastern catholic. I was once told that RC believe in life after death in their heads, EC in their hearts.

As for the black mass when you are sleeping, that happens to my daughter pretty often. The problem is it stifles her and she can’t move or even breathe. This is NOT good. But she told me, I can’t move and I am scared, but I can think, so she starts to pray. She said just after she says Our Father who art in heaven…the mass dissolves and disappears. please have your home and bedroom blessed and keep a rosary on your bed.
 
I’d like to know. Because last year on the night of Ash Wednesday I had a dream that meteors were hitting earth. Two days later, that happened in Russia. Also, that night I saw a very dark shadow standing over my bed. Hmm.
I wouldn’t view that as prophetic because they hit the Earth every single day.
 
Eastern rite Catholics, of course still and always were catholic, have a deeper spirituality than RC Catholics.

It is quite common for us to have prophetic dreams. My first one was when I was about 6 years old, I told my mom about it in the morning, and by dinner time it was fulfilled. My mother has, even my son has them.

It is also common to “hear voices”. You actually don’t hear it through your ears but like a vibration in the heart giving sounds. I’m one of those who talk to the Lord throughout the day just doing my usual chores. Sometimes I get a response. How I know it is true is that it is never a response I could have fathomed on my own and secondly it is always good, like give to the poor, say a rosary for him…etc.

We also celebrate 40 days after someone died, always with a mass first some people can afford BIG lavish parties. We celebrate that the person has gone into the light as for 40 days they didn’t know they died, wander the earth, trying to say good bye.

I know this sounds crazy if you’re not eastern catholic. I was once told that RC believe in life after death in their heads, EC in their hearts.

As for the black mass when you are sleeping, that happens to my daughter pretty often. The problem is it stifles her and she can’t move or even breathe. This is NOT good. But she told me, I can’t move and I am scared, but I can think, so she starts to pray. She said just after she says Our Father who art in heaven…the mass dissolves and disappears. please have your home and bedroom blessed and keep a rosary on your bed.
I sincerely hope that you mean that Eastern Catholics have a different spirituality, not a deeper one. And yes, RC’s believe in life after death in their hearts just as much as EC’s do. Where did you get these notions? They are rather insulting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top