Traditions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Redratfish
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Redratfish

Guest
The more I read the Bible, the more I find that almost all Catholic teaching is based off the Bible, at least in some form or another. However, I know the that the Church uses tradition as well as the Bible for teachings. My question is: Are there any teachings that the Church holds that are not mentioned at all in the Bible?
 
The more I read the Bible, the more I find that almost all Catholic teaching is based off the Bible, at least in some form or another. However, I know the that the Church uses tradition as well as the Bible for teachings. My question is: Are there any teachings that the Church holds that are not mentioned at all in the Bible?
The Church and her traditions began before the New Testament was written. Acts, for example, is basically a story of her earliest years. The Trinity is not specifically mentioned in the bible. Nor is the Immaculate Conception. The doctrine of the Real Presence certainly isn’t spelled out in non-ambiguous detail. The point is that the bible was never meant to be a theological treatise or a catechism; all Catholic truths can be found there but often in rudimentary or rather vague terms. This is why the Church, as the bible does tell us, is necessary as the “pillar and foundation of truth”.
 
Here’s one: That life begins at conception.
Quite frankly, that’s just bull.

Thou hast been my God from my mother’s womb. (Psalm 22:9-10)
***Thou didst weave me in my mother’s womb. … My frame was not hidden from Thee, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth. Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Thy book they were all written, The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them. (Psalm 139:13-16)***Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb, "I, the LORD, am the maker of all things, Stretching out the heavens by Myself, And spreading out the earth all alone, (Isaiah 44:24)
***“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5) ***
And my personal favorite re. John the Baptist…
***“For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and he will drink no wine or liquor; and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, while yet in his mother’s womb.” (Luke 1:15) ***

Filled with the Holy Spirit **while yet in his mother’s womb! **

Hello!!! McFly!!!
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...t.com/albums/a211/phantomlordlop/biff.jpg&t=1

-Tim-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top