Hi Nicole,
You make a good point regarding terminology, but I’m not sure I would characterize Donahoe’s word choice as a horrible error.
I say this because “transformation” is often used colloquially to be equivalent to the word “change”. So, Donahoe’s phrase could certainly be understood in an orthodox way – as long as it isn’t meant philosophically, but rather colloquially.
Speaking of philosophical terms, it seemed in your post you contrasted “conversion” with “transformation”, although you may not have intended such. If that was what you intended, I would say that it seems to me that a transformation is a kind of conversion. Transformation is a formal conversion, a change of form to form. Whereas transubstantiation is a substantial conversion, as you point out above, a complete change of substance, both matter and form.
Just a few (somewhat off-topic!) thoughts.
VC
Hi, VC,
This is my last public reply on this particular discussion of words, since it is off-topic.
I most heartily restate my original thoughts. It IS a most horrible error in terms to say in a public forum “transformation” when one means “Transubstantiation” (whether the term “transformation” correctly conveyed the mind of the original poster or not). It would certainly be different in a casual conversation; I would agree were that the case. However, posting in a forum is the same as publishing one’s speech, which makes it much more formal an action than giving a public speech.
The word “transformation” is, I would agree, understood to be equivalent to the word “change.” That is why I am taking such exception with it. NO “change” occurs to the bread and the wine at the consecration since it is not part of the potential of the nature of bread to “change” into Christ. I do contrast “transformation” and “conversion” because they are not equivalent terms. “Transformation” and “change” speak of that which is within the potential of a being due to its nature. A “conversion” speaks of that which is not within the potential of a being itself, but is effected from outside that being.
A “conversion” and a “change” are not merely genus and species of one another, but completely non-equivalent terms. A “conversion” is made, for example, when one exchanges his paper dollars for an equivalent amount of paper yen. He had paper dollars in his hand, now he has paper yen in his hand. The paper dollars did not “change” into paper yen, but were “converted.” It is not within the nature of the paper dollar to “change” into paper yen. However, if one were to burn the paper dollar, he would elicit a “change;” the paper would “change” into ash.
That is certainly not the case with the Eucharist. There is NO “change” of the bread and wine into the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ, since it is not within the nature of the bread and wine to “change” into such. Instead a “conversion” occurs, as defined infallibly in the Council of Trent. The bread and the wine cease to exist in this unique conversion, leaving behind only the appearances veiling Christ, Who is really, truly and substantially present.
– Nicole