Transubstantiation???

  • Thread starter Thread starter leamar3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that people often get confused by transubstantiation, because they implicitly believe that we can perceive the substances of things. We cannot. We can perceive only accidents of ANY thing that is perceptible. That is what our senses respond to–the accidents of things. So when in the unique case of the Eucharist, the accidents remain the same while the substance changes, we perceive the same accidents as we did before. But the substance has changed.
 
You (and not necessarily you, Della) are still trying to finagle with the English. You’ve reached an impasse. (This was discussed and argued at length in the 60’s, by the way. Too bad “for all” clouded the issue back then.) I can’t see the improvement in changing your focus but your point about what “this” is not IS valid.
I’m not “finagling” with anything. Rather, I was merely pointing out that the verb carries the meaning more than the noun in this case. Language has structure which gives it meaning. As the Author of language I’m sure the Word made flesh understood what he was saying, how he was saying it, and why he was saying it. That was my point. I don’t see any “impasse” in that. 😉
 
I’m currently going through an RCIA program and we’ve recently done a session on the Eucharist. Going into this journey, I had read up on what transubstantiation is, and I’ve been trying to suppress the fact that I don’t totally believe that the bread and wine become the body and blood of Jesus. Ever since the session we did on it, I can’t stop thinking about it, and it’s starting to bother me. I firmly believe in consubstantiation but not transubstantiation.

My question is this: If I don’t fully believe in transubstantiation, should I be continuing in my journey to becoming Catholic? If I do continue, when it comes time to come into the church and take the Eucharist and I still don’t believe transubstantiation to be true, wouldn’t it be wrong for me to do so?
Just an update from our RCIA class. I played Father Robert Barron’s dvd on the Eucharist, and that led to talking and conversation and excitement that made the class last an hour overtime. That, and I am lending them Vinny Flynn’s seven secrets of the Eucharist. Hope this helps in your journey.
 
I struggle with being Christian because I tend to rationalize everything, and this is just beyond my comprehension.
Welcome to the club! 🙂

Lutherans view the True Body and Blood as a mystery - as Luther debated those that denied this biblical truth he would simply take out a piece of chalk and write “Hoc est corpus menum (this is my body)” and point to it.

Sometimes, when doubt comes, perhaps write on paper - “This is my body.” Bonus points for dressing in 16th century garb and pointing to it 🙂

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/uploads/pics/zwing.1_01.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top