Travelling for work: Concerns

  • Thread starter Thread starter Epistemes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you look into some Churches that will be close to your hotel? When travelling for business, one often has an opportunity to visit some beautiful churches that you might not otherwise ever have an opportunity to see. You may have some “free” time in the evenings during your travels, and it might be an excellent opportunity to attend Eucharistic Adoration at a Church close to your hotel. You might even consider contacting the Diocesesan office for information on churches where you could attend an early morning or evening Mass during your travels. I hope you will have a safe and productive trip!
 
If this isn’t a one-time trip, it may be worth asking your employer for some extra perks. My husband asked, and was pleasantly surprised to see his requests granted.

See if the company will reimburse you for:
(1) GPS rental (usually $10/day from a car rental company) or purchase (around $150, depending on the model.) A GPS will alleviate a lot of the stress of travel.
(2) Mobile internet (like through Sprint, Verizon, etc.) so you can work remotely even if the podunk hotels don’t have internet available (though, in my experience, most of them do.)

Do a little research about driving in Missouri snow before you fly out. I could give you my tips, but it gets so cold here in Minnesota that we usually avoid the most dangerous temperatures (right around freezing). Most people up north know this, but southerners don’t usually: Since the reason ice is slippery is because with the pressure/friction of tires it turns to water, if the temperature is so cold that pressure/friction isn’t enough energy to melt the ice, it’s actually no longer slippery.
 
As silly as it sounds, and it might not be practical, do you have a pet you can take with you? Some hotels do offer accomidations for pets, and having my dogs with me always makes me feel better. It’s a great conversation starter as well-I’ve gone into rest stops or PETCOS with my dogs and people love to talk about them…maybe because I have the cutest in the world, I don’t know. 🤷

I travel sometimes, driven from New England down to Florida several times, and I always bring my dogs with me-just an idea. I know how lonely it can be.
 
As silly as it sounds, and it might not be practical, do you have a pet you can take with you? Some hotels do offer accomidations for pets, and having my dogs with me always makes me feel better. It’s a great conversation starter as well-I’ve gone into rest stops or PETCOS with my dogs and people love to talk about them…maybe because I have the cutest in the world, I don’t know. 🤷

I travel sometimes, driven from New England down to Florida several times, and I always bring my dogs with me-just an idea. I know how lonely it can be.
Wow - pet idea is great - I am thinking that “Fred” (my goldfish) is going to rack up some frequent flyer miles with me from now on! 😉
 
If you are going to be in st. louis a lot, let me know. I know of great places to go, and great churches to see (no offense to the pp, but snows is not high on the list compared to the many churches in St. Louis).

Lots of places in ST. Louis are FREE (the zoo, considered the best in the country is free and open during the winter…we usually get some fluke warm days in January).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top