T
TrueLight
Guest
The first mass I attended was a Tridentine mass and needless to say I was lost. However, the second time I went, this young woman (Yay, young women at mass!) gave me a missalette after mass. How charitable!
However, I became confused about the lack of singing. I didn’t see a lot of people responding at all except with an occasional “amen” or “et cum spiritu tuo”. So I thought that’s all I had to respond to.
But when I got home, I found a French Tridentine Mass on Youtube and , armed with my missalette I followed along. To my surprise, there are lot of places for the congregation to respond.
The Youtube mass is titled “sung low mass”.
So my questions are:
However, I became confused about the lack of singing. I didn’t see a lot of people responding at all except with an occasional “amen” or “et cum spiritu tuo”. So I thought that’s all I had to respond to.
But when I got home, I found a French Tridentine Mass on Youtube and , armed with my missalette I followed along. To my surprise, there are lot of places for the congregation to respond.
The Youtube mass is titled “sung low mass”.
So my questions are:
- Is there such a thing as a silent mass in the Tridentine?
- Could it be that the congregation does not participate because the majority does not have missals?
- Would I stand out if I sang when no one was singing?
- In some parts of the missal it is quite clear when the congregation sings (I guess wherever it says “S” for schola? However, some responses are only indicated by commas or periods and how can I tell the difference if no one is responding?
- What is the best way for me to really get comfortable with the Tridentine mass? Should I visit different Parishes?