Trinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter delmo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

delmo

Guest
My agnostic sister appears to have reached a moment where she’s questioning her beliefs. She’s asked a few questions and I don’t feel as if I can properly explain the Trinity to her. How would you guys go about it?
 
My agnostic sister appears to have reached a moment where she’s questioning her beliefs. She’s asked a few questions and I don’t feel as if I can properly explain the Trinity to her. How would you guys go about it?
Again every time I post one of these no one listens to them. This the best and easiest to understand explanation I’ve ever heard. Fr Tom no only explains what we believe about the Trinity but also why God has to be a Trinity. Why it can’t be any other way. I found it fascinating.

The Necessity of the Trinity

It’s an Orthodox source but it’s perfectly acceptable for Catholics. Listen to it!!! 👍
 
How would you guys go about it?
It would help if we could know what questions she asked. There are MANY questions someone could ask about the Trinity. A synopsis would take thousands of threads (and probably be heretical at some point).
 
It would help if we could know what questions she asked. There are MANY questions someone could ask about the Trinity. A synopsis would take thousands of threads (and probably be heretical at some point).
Her main issue seems to be that she can’t understand the 3 in 1 thing. She doesn’t understand how God can be both the Father and Son, she asked why Jesus needed to talk to the Father when He is God, she asked how, if Jesus was God made man, God was still up in heaven, and stuff along those lines.
 
Her main issue seems to be that she can’t understand the 3 in 1 thing.
This is beyond our ability to fully comprehend, but we can construct imperfect analogies. A triangle is made up of three sides. No one side IS the triangle. The triangle IS all three sides at once.
She doesn’t understand how God can be both the Father and Son
The alternative is a unitarian god. Christianity teaches that “God IS love.” Love requires an object (something to love). God is eternal, but the universe is not, so there was an eternal “time” in which nothing existed but God alone. If God were love, but was a unitarian god, then god’s love would be for himself (ego) - a selfish love.
she asked why Jesus needed to talk to the Father when He is God, she asked how, if Jesus was God made man, God was still up in heaven, and stuff along those lines.
Those topics merit their own threads.
 
Hello delmo

We were just discussing about the Trinity in the link below couple days back. The thread was meant to be a casual discussion about our Christian beliefs of Jesus to that of the Baha’i beliefs , but we somehow got a little sidetracked into the discussion of the Trinity with an acquaintance from the Baha’i faith on this forum.

The thread is not official or anything but feel free to have a look at it and see if the posts there might help answer your sister or anyone else for that matter. I think among the Trinity, there’s more stuffs there that may help you put into words when asked by anyone. Perhaps they will be of use to you and your sister.

Peace be with you.

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=907957
 
My agnostic sister appears to have reached a moment where she’s questioning her beliefs. She’s asked a few questions and I don’t feel as if I can properly explain the Trinity to her. How would you guys go about it?
I recommend the book called Theology For Beginners by F.J. Sheed. Its a paperback, an easy read and the explanation on many topics including the Trinity are very good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top