I
Inanna
Guest
I am a non-Catholic married to a man from a very conservative Catholic family. We were married in the CC, but my husband’s family did not approve of the union. My husband continued going to the CC for about a year after we were married, but never being a person of strong Christian faith, and no longer being in a strictly controlled environment, he has since converted to a form of paganism.
We have a very happy marriage and a 3 yo son. We are happy, that is, until it comes to the holiday season. The majority of my in-laws treat me very poorly. We have been married for 5 years now. I don’t think that they will every accept our marriage. After every holiday season, I become very depressed and agitated for about a week after visiting my in-laws. Now it is becoming worse because my BIL’s wife is pregnant and they are already treating her unborn baby better than they ever have my son. I foresee some very unpleasant explanations to my son in the future as to why he is treated so poorly compared to his cousin(s). My husband always just says: “ignore them” that is how they are" and then we argue.
I will say up front that I have my own strong convictions and will not convert to Catholicism. I just want to understand my in-laws better. Is there something I can do to “bridge the Gap” without compromising my own principles? or should I just completely cut them out of my life for my own sanity. Please, someone help me understand why they hate me so much!
We have a very happy marriage and a 3 yo son. We are happy, that is, until it comes to the holiday season. The majority of my in-laws treat me very poorly. We have been married for 5 years now. I don’t think that they will every accept our marriage. After every holiday season, I become very depressed and agitated for about a week after visiting my in-laws. Now it is becoming worse because my BIL’s wife is pregnant and they are already treating her unborn baby better than they ever have my son. I foresee some very unpleasant explanations to my son in the future as to why he is treated so poorly compared to his cousin(s). My husband always just says: “ignore them” that is how they are" and then we argue.
I will say up front that I have my own strong convictions and will not convert to Catholicism. I just want to understand my in-laws better. Is there something I can do to “bridge the Gap” without compromising my own principles? or should I just completely cut them out of my life for my own sanity. Please, someone help me understand why they hate me so much!
*