Tsunami caused alot of damage to the earth itself

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa4Catholics
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lisa4Catholics

http://images.livescience.com/image...om/template_images/livescience/transpacer.gif Sumatran Quake Left ‘Scar’ on Earth’s Gravity
By LiveScience Staff

posted: 25 April 2005
02:50 pm ET
http://images.livescience.com/template_images/livescience/transpacer.gif
The devastating 2004 Sumatran earthquake, which caused the worst tsunami in modern times, should have left a detectable scar on Earth’s gravity field, European scientists said Monday.

A satellite planned for launch next year could detect the blemish, they said.

The magnitude 9.3 earthquake has already been said to have shortened the day by fractions of a second, shifted the North Pole by an inch, and made the planet less fat around the middle.

The new prediction comes from Roberto Sabadini and Giorgio Dalla Via at the University of Milan. The idea is fairly straightforward. The strength of Earth’s gravity varies depending on the depth of a trench or height of a mountain, as well as the density of material. Even changing tides alter the gravity field.

The Dec. 26, 2004 quake lifted an 18-foot (6 meter) ledge along a 620-mile (1,000 kilometer) fault.

Gravity variations are measured using the geoid, which is similar to sea-level. The geoid is a hypothetical “surface” around the Earth at which the planet’s gravitational pull is the same everywhere. Over dense areas, the geoid moves away from the real surface, and where gravity is less, the geoid moves closer to the real surface.

The Sumatran quake, the geoid moved as much as 0.7 inches (18 millimeters), the scientists predict.

The variations in the gravity field are already studied from space with NASA’s GRACE mission.

The European Space Agency’s Gravity Field and Ocean Circulation Explorer (GOCE), planned to launch in 2006, is designed to be very sensitive to minor differences. As the spacecraft passes over regions of stronger and weaker gravitational pull, it will bob up and down.

Uplink Your Views
Discuss this or other
Forces of Nature stories

A study of gravity scar data could in turn refine estimates of the physical rupture of a fault.

“Seismology is good for detecting the slip of earthquake faults and the location of the epicenter, geoid monitoring can determine how much mass is actually being moved around,” Sabadini said.

livescience.com/forcesofnature/050425_quake_scar.html

That was obviously caused by global warming, which, in turn was caused by the United States. Everybody knows that!

:hmmm: Interesting.
I saw a special on the Discovery Channel on Saturday which talked about a possible quake and tsunami in the pacific northwest. They said a big “cascade” quake was going to happen, they just didn’t know when, and they were studying the Dec. 26th quake/tsunami to help them decide on measures to protect as many people as possible when it occurs. It sounded like these scientists are convinced that this will occur sometime in the not-so-distant future. And they think it will be bigger than the one in Sumatra. So, I guess that it is good to learn as much about the last one as possible.

Hi Lisa 👋

I have read alot about what this Tsunami and Eatrhquake has done to the planet. I did allow myself to be frightened by that I have to admit, it is quite alarming, but then this world is not ours it is God’s and I had to console myself that whatever happens God will bring out of it, good to all humanity…still it all makes for worrying reading.

I just keep praying…

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

This is facsinating. I had wanted to be a seismologist before I realised that sucking at math would be a hindrance.

The one that really worries me, since I live about 100 miles from the east coast, is the unmonitored volcano in the Canary Islands. The entire western side of the mountain shifted about 13’ during the last eruption and speculation is that it will fall into the sea during the next one. Depending on how much of it falls, experts are predicting a tsunami of massive proportions, up to 100’ high when it reaches the eastern US. The death toll from such an event would dwarf the one we just saw.

40.png
geezerbob:
The one that really worries me, since I live about 100 miles from the east coast, is the unmonitored volcano in the Canary Islands. The entire western side of the mountain shifted about 13’ during the last eruption and speculation is that it will fall into the sea during the next one. Depending on how much of it falls, experts are predicting a tsunami of massive proportions, up to 100’ high when it reaches the eastern US. The death toll from such an event would dwarf the one we just saw.
It’s not unmonitored; there are sensors all over the mountain, and seismologists are watching the readouts. There will be warning, because the shift is caused by the heat from rising lava acting on water trapped in the volcano, meaning when the volcano isn’t active, there’re no worries. Next time it becomes active is the time to worry. There will be plenty of people watching it, but a news flash that “the western slope of Cumbre Vieja has fallen into the sea” will be a little late to start your evac plan.

DaveBj

40.png
geezerbob:
Hi geezerbob

My brother just came back from there and said that they are closely monitoring that volcanoe as another poster has said. It is a grave worry and if that volcanoe goes then it will be felt significantly in many places in the world , even possibly affecting the UK as well as the USA.

Don’t dwell on this stuff, you personally cannot stop it.

I just keep praying

Teresa

I wonder if the increase in the gravitational pull is the reason Ive been so tired all Winter long:yawn:

Speaking of volcanoes, did anyone else catch the movie on Discovery channel about Yellowstone National Park? They start the movie with “This is a true story. It just hasn’t happened yet.” Then they show this incredible movie about what would happen if the volcano underneath Yellowstone were to explode in a “super eruption”. Apparently this has happened 3 times in the last 2 million years. The last explosion was 640, 000 thousand years ago. Which means, statistically, it could erupt again any time. Of course that could mean anthying. When you’re dealing with such huge numbers, you could have a margin of error of 10,000 years or more. It was really interesting, though.

Do you think that maybe the earth is uneasy?

Okay I will say it:ehh: This is Gods creation and I believe the sin here is too much,I think the earth is trying to shake the fleas off:nope: What happened after Jesus was crucified?:hmmm:

Regarding Yellowstone, statistics covering only two periods (three eruptions) cannot reliably indicate when the third will occur.

Regarding Canary Islands, I’m glad to find out that the volcano is now being monitored. The problem remains that, even with an evacuation plan in place, there wouldn’t enough time to get all the coastal residents inland the necessary 30 or 40 miles. Cities such as New York or Baltimore, with plenty of tall buildings to which people could go would fare much better than ones such as Charleston or Savannah where there are no taller buildings in the historic districts, which usually comprise the entire downtown areas. I remember the evacuation mess we had here the last time we were threatened by a hurricane and shudder to think what would happen if we only had six to eight hours notice of a tsunami.

At some point, a significant part of the Canary Islands will collapse. The East Coast had better get ready.

40.png
JW10631:
At some point, a significant part of the Canary Islands will collapse. The East Coast had better get ready.
Which parts of the East coast are we talking about? How far north, south, and inland? We have family in Tampa, FL area. We live in Ohio. I don’t think that is too bad.

They got to blow the trumpets eventually.

Bring it on!

Makes me worry about my kids, but the greater glory they will enter into more than trumps their suffering.

40.png
legeorge:
Which parts of the East coast are we talking about? How far north, south, and inland? We have family in Tampa, FL area. We live in Ohio. I don’t think that is too bad.
Look at a topological map and you’ll get a good idea. If you’re near Cleveland, you’ll be fine. The south would be in pretty bad shape–places like Florida and South Carolina are pretty flat on the coast, and the water in such lowlying areas could go several miles inland according to articles I’ve read. I don’t know about Tampa–that’s on the gulf side, right? I would think that it would be possible for a bit of the tsunami to sweep around Florida and go up the coast.

40.png
legeorge:
The last thing I saw on this was that it would include the entire east cost but nobody was willing to hazard a guess as to where it would be the worst. They were saying it could go as much as 30 miles inland, but I guess that it would be less is hilly areas and more in flat ones. I don’t know if it’s possible for such a wave to wash completely across the Florida peninsula. I would think not, but could imagine severe devastation there along the east coast.

Dear friends

I found this website whilst wandering about on the web, I’m not interested in what this dude has to say about the end of the world, but the links in this website give alot of information about natural disasters and various volcanoes, take a look at :

cybertime.net/~ajgood/volcanoes.html

see also this link for the Canary Island Volcanoe and landslide taken from the above website:

underreported.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1124&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Still don’t be afraid and don’t dwell on it, we can’t stop the earth doing any of this, I just keep praying…

Teresa

Hey, thanks everyone for the info. I do not get obsessed about such things, but I like to be aware of what’s going on, so I can be prepared. Thanks again 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back