Tucker breaks down prestigious private school's latest diversity manifesto

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cathoholic

I have mentioned before about leftist projection with regards to the “wok-ness” issues.
Well here it is again.

More discrimination based on skin color by leftists. . . .

#FoxNews #Tucker

Tucker breaks down prestigious private school’s latest diversity manifesto​

Dec 21, 2020

Author Scott Johnston, who broke the story on NYC’s Dalton private school’s, discusses the meltdown over the school’s latest diversity plan. #FoxNews #Tucker

Last edited:
The history of private schools and universities is founded on elitism, the elitism of class, the elitism of race, the elitism of religion, and the elitism of gender. These schools were built for the education of wealthy, White Anglo-Saxon (Protestant) Christian males. No women need apply, no Blacks need apply, no Jews or Catholics need apply, no poor people need apply. This is the basis of education in the United States.

In my view, it is fine for schools to want to rectify this elitism by creating a more equal-opportunity playing field for students and families who are NOT White, NOT Christian, NOT male, and NOT wealthy.

However, as is so often the case with changing social norms and changing educational practices, one runs the risk of going overboard. A few issues come to mind in this regard, such as:
  1. Should general standards of academic excellence be lowered to accommodate students who are admitted and lack the basic skills, in an effort to enable them to catch up to the other students?
  2. Should the rules of admission be changed and no longer be based so strongly on entrance exams and prior academic success, but rather more on achieving diversity with regard to race, religion, class, and gender?
  3. Should the number of students in classes be increased so that more students of diverse backgrounds and abilities can be admitted? Or should class size be kept smaller and more teachers (also of diverse backgrounds) be hired?
  4. Should the grading system of schools be changed to accommodate students who begin their education at a disadvantage due to not having a solid foundation of learning caused by adverse conditions in their family and neighborhood environments?
  5. Should tuition be on a sliding scale and perhaps waived altogether for poorer families who cannot afford the cost of a private-school education?
These and several other questions should be discussed and debated if change is deemed necessary.

With regard to The Dalton School and other elite private institutions in New York City, the issue of race and ethnicity is compounded by the fact that New York is not a city comprised of only Black and White people. There are many other ethnic groups as well such as Latinx, Asians, Muslims, Jews, Russians, and so on. Where do they fit in terms of social reform of private schools?

Last edited:
Many on the right don’t value diversity and some really don’t support multiculturalism.

I think diversity and multiculturalism are good because they expose students and faculty to different ideas and perspectives on social, political, moral and religious issues. But diversity at the expense of academic excellence is NOT a good thing, and diversity just for the sake of diversity makes no sense. With that in mind, what is your raison d’etre for diversity?

Last edited:
I think diversity and multiculturalism are good because they expose students and faculty to different ideas and perspectives on social, political, moral and religious issues. But diversity at the expense of academic excellence is NOT a good thing, and diversity just for the sake of diversity makes no sense. With that in mind, what is your raison d’etre for diversity?
I don’t really know what raison d’être means but I believe that schools should expose students to a diverse set of cultures and ideas.

Without affirmative action measures elite schools would just have white and asian kids going there.

Black and Latino communities suffer from institutionalized oppression and discrimination setting students at a disadvantage in meeting some academic measures such as SATs and MCATS.

I don’t really know what raison d’être means but I believe that schools should expose students to a diverse set of cultures and ideas.
a reason for living ( more or less )

Last edited:
In my view, it is fine for schools to want to rectify this elitism by creating a more equal-opportunity playing field for students and families who are NOT White, NOT Christian, NOT male, and NOT wealthy.
There are two built-in presuppositions with your premise.

1 That racism is systemic.

2 That discrimination against people based upon the color of their skin, will cure the discrimination against people based upon the color of their skin.

Other than that I believe you with regards to what you think here.

Last edited:
There has been plenty of discrimination against Asians (particularly Chinese and Japanese) in the history of the United States and the history of New York City. How do you account for their success in education and the workforce despite the discrimination against them?

In my experience as a teacher for the past 100 years, having taught in college and also in high school, middle school, and elementary school, the number one factor with regard to the success or failure of all students is not so much race or ethnicity but socioeconomic class. Poor families have a tougher time educating their children and the schools in poorer communities are often not as well equipped for students’ educational needs. Nonetheless, even with regard to class, I have seen poor families and poor school districts thrive in educating children despite the economic obstacles.

Last edited:
While I detest the word “systemic,” possibly because it is used in such a carefree manner, I do believe that the history of education in the United States (and I am sure elsewhere as well) has been founded on systemic racism, or let us say, privilege. The great Ivy League universities have a notorious history of not admitting Blacks, Jews, Catholics, and women. This is factual information, not merely my viewpoint. They were designed for the education of White, Protestant young men. Period. And this foundation was itself based on the sociocultural norms of America. It was not just decided by the academic institutions themselves. The exclusion of minorities–non-Whites, Jews, and women–was the social norm and thought to be just, even celebrated by educators themselves at these institutions. Some of these prejudiced attitudes still exist today.

Nonetheless, if you read my post carefully, you can see that I am NOT in favor of diversity just for the sake of diversity. There must be some benefit to a diversified student body and faculty workforce apart from rectifying the wrongs of the past. Further, there are important issues to consider, which I have enumerated, relative to changing the structure and norms of school systems.

the number one factor with regard to the success or failure of all students is not so much race or ethnicity but socioeconomic class.
This is a great point!

Steve Wood talks about the nuclear fallout of fatherlessness too (which is integral to “socioeconomic” standing in many cases).

Last edited:
Absolutely nobody is required to attend The Dalton School.

It is mind boggling these ‘conservatives’ want to control the inner workings of PRIVATE educational institutions. They are welcome to form their own schools to their liking instead of bemoaning their ‘victim status.’

It is mind boggling these ‘conservatives’ want to control the inner workings of PRIVATE educational institutions.
Those conservatives don’t need to “control” them.

They just need to expose what is happening, and the patrons will control it.

They are welcome to form their own schools to their liking instead of bemoaning their ‘victim status.’
They do. It is called home schooling.

And the left has been attacking home schools for decades because of their lack of “control” within those home schools.

Last edited:
Sounds right and just…on the surface.

But what if you are sending your child to a private school such as Dalton, which has a very high tuition, and your child is a minority (Black, Latino/a, Asian), and you discover that there are discriminatory practices in the school that affect your child’s academic success and emotional wellbeing? Do you, as a parent, have a right to ask for or even demand change in the institution’s practices, especially given the fact you are paying a large sum for your child’s education? Or do you believe that education is just like any other commodity, and if you don’t like the service or item, you have the right to take your business elsewhere?

Last edited:
Why?

This isn’t about “Tucker”.
This is about a story Tucker has presented.
Tucker is fair game. Tucker breaks it down yet probably refuses to look at the man in the mirror.

After all, if turning every thread into an Abortion Issue is now fair game, then this fair game as well.
Cathoholic said:
As it should be.

Last edited:
The history of private schools and universities is founded on elitism, the elitism of class, the elitism of race, the elitism of religion, and the elitism of gender. These schools were built for the education of wealthy, White Anglo-Saxon (Protestant) Christian males. No women need apply, no Blacks need apply, no Jews or Catholics need apply, no poor people need apply.
Much of this is true for private schools in England (what we call public schools), but not all. Firstly there are, of course, Catholic public schools; secondly the children of non WASPs are treated as ersatz WASPs if their parents are sufficiently disgustingly rich.

@F_Marturana dragging Tucker and his children into the thread . . .
I wonder where Tucker sends his kids to school.
My response?
Why?

This isn’t about “Tucker”.
This is about a story Tucker has presented.

mojoalthor affirming F_Marturana dragging Tucker and his children into the thread . . .
Tucker is fair game.
I did not say Tucker is or is not “fair game”.

I said the story per se, does not concern Tucker. And it certainly doesn’t concern Tucker’s children or where they go to school.

Go start a thread on Tucker (please, not his children though) if you want.

If you think the election does not (at least in large part) concern murdering innocent babies with Government protection, you are wrong.

Last edited:
I can believe that being a supporting patron or benefactor of a school somehow trumps one’s religion or race, let alone one’s academic qualifications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back