TV in the house?

  • Thread starter Thread starter camerong
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom’s got a TV in her room, and there’s an ancient one in the living room that’s only good for DVDs and video games. Needless to say, i’m pretty much done with TV these days. If i feel a burning desire to see something, i will, but otherwise it’s Netflix and YT if i’ve got nothing else to do.
 
Tossed the TV years ago. Go without for awhile and then tune into network or local news programs and you will really be surprised at how unintelligent they think you are.
Completely agree. Grew up without one. Tried it out. Got rid of it and don’t miss it at all. I watch two programs a year on hulu and don’t mind waiting for them to be available.
For news, II go to netpapers online.
You can always order dvd’s at the library.
Good luck!
 
We have one wall mounted in the living room. We also have one in our bedroom. We have a 3rd one currently unused (the 10 yr. old is petitioning for it to go to his room - haha - he’s funny); there are plans for it to go to the basement when we finish half of it to be an exercise/game style room. Said 10 yr. old is happy with that, as we’ve told him that’s where we’ll be banishing him & his friends when they are teens. LOL

Sometimes the tv is on, sometimes it’s not. We impose no restrictions outside some obvious ones - not on while doing homework, not on while we are eating a meal, etc. Most often it is background noise for someone who is half listening/half doing something else.

We all have certain shows and/or sporting events we like. So we watch those or dvr them to view later. And we have a large DVD collection. Many nights however, we can be found reading, playing games, being outside when weather permits, etc. Everything in moderation for us. 👍
 
We have the 42" in the living room, which hasn’t been turned on in over two weeks because we 1) cancelled our cable and 2) the dvd player died. There is a tv in mine and hubby’s room (which also hasn’t been turned on in probably more than 2 weeks), and one in the kids room which hasn’t been turned on in probably longer than that because once again, no dvd player…lol. When we did have cable all I watched were 2 shows on the local channels, and my 4 year old watched PBS Sprout in the evenings. What little the tv’s were turned on we watched EWTN.
 
If you have good willpower, keep the T.V.

If you’re like me and find temptation hard to resist, then get rid of the T.V. You’ll miss if for a few months, and in one year you’ll say to yourself - “why did ever watch that junk?”

My children have grown up without a TV and it’s been good for them - one hour of us taking to each other as a family is better then four house in front of the TV. Oddly, I can spot other children who don’t have a TV - they seem to be more engaged with the world and better communicators.
 
I don’t like to watch tv and never have…I was the odd one in the family, although I suppose there are people more addicted to tv than my family, I remember very clearly family gatherings where I was dying to have a conversation or do something as a family and they wanted to be glued to the stupid thing…there is a tv at my house because I live with my sister. When I lived alone I did not have one and I currently get tired of hearing it going all the time when she’s home.

I have several Egyptian friends and none of them have the tv in the living room—I am told this is normal. When you have company over or are spending time as a family, it is not to watch tv but to interact with each other. I like that!

If my some miracle I marry, I would prefer not to have a tv or if we must, it be somewhere other than the living room if possible (if there is a den or something). My sisters think that if I don’t have a tv my children will be freaks.
 
While I have 2 tv’s in my house, one in the bedroom and one in my sewing room, I have no service that gets me programing. I do watch movies when I sew. I haven’t turned the tv on in the bedroom in a very long time. It’s heavy or I’d have given it away already.
I loved watching the new when I had TV service. But that service is expensive and I just can’t justify it.
 
When our first was born (almost 8 years ago), my wife and i decided to remove the small television in our bedroom.

We have a tv in the basement - which has a rec-room - kind of a family room. We also didn’t want the tv too prominent. And we don’t have cable either. Before the kids were born, we might end the evening with a couple episodes of “Frazier”. My wife would watch the news for the weather - but when i asked what the weather was going to be, she never knew. Then when we were expecting our first, there were a couple of drownings of young children in our area, and my wife was in tears. We decided to just stop watching the news.

So now, other than an occasional sporting event (or presidential debate), we don’t tune to any television. We get movies from the library to watch as a family (and we have a collection of our own VHS/DVDs that people have given us over the years).

Neither of us misses network tv at all. It’s funny how irrelevant it is when you’ve been away from it for a few months. And it is very nice not to have a prominent room centered around the tv (which would be far to easy to turn on just because it is there)
 
Yeah…there’s no real need for the devil’s box. 😃
“The devil’s box.” That cracked me up.

We have two TV’s. One in the family room (home theater system) and one in the kitchen. (I’m a news junkie and I enjoy flipping between Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN while cooking.)

Although I think parents should closely monitor and regulate what kids watch, I also think you do kids a disservice by keeping them totally away from TV. It’s kind of like trying to insulate them from the “secular world.” That’s the world they have to live in, so they should know what’s out there and how to operate in that environment. TV can be a useful tool.

We have a Roku box, a Netflix subscription, a Blu-Ray player, and a wide selection of over-the-air channels. Personally, I wouldn’t object to cutting the cord with our cable company. My husband, however, would have a stroke if he couldn’t watch live sports.
 
We have two tvs
Flat screen 55 inch in the livingroom. Complete with HD, Direct TV DVR, surround sound and DVD player.
Football is awesome on it.
Dora looks huge and daunting.😃

Our other is a 1980s throwback in our bedroom that only collects dust. Used it last night for the first time in 2 years because I was recording a football game and show that my wife and I watch. But I also wanted to watch the end of the Orioles Yankees game. The good thing about DVR and watching shows and games: No commercials. Which can be the most offensive things on TV. I rarely watch anything live. Most sporting events I watch after about a half hour after they begin.
Tip, the skip button skips 30 seconds. The time between football plays is about 35 seconds. I have watched entire games in 20 minutes without ever missing a play.

Last night we watched the American Bible Challenge and paused in the middle to eat dinner and go for a walk. Then we came back to finish.

I will say that I do not know how some people handle newborns who dont sleep through teh night without TV or a DVR.

EWTN has nice religious programming that we watch often if you like that sort of thing.

But High Def on Dr Ray’s 55 inch head… yeeessh. :bigyikes:
 
I don’t like to watch tv and never have…I was the odd one in the family, although I suppose there are people more addicted to tv than my family, I remember very clearly family gatherings where I was dying to have a conversation or do something as a family and they wanted to be glued to the stupid thing…there is a tv at my house because I live with my sister. When I lived alone I did not have one and I currently get tired of hearing it going all the time when she’s home.

I have several Egyptian friends and none of them have the tv in the living room—I am told this is normal. When you have company over or are spending time as a family, it is not to watch tv but to interact with each other. I like that!

If my some miracle I marry, I would prefer not to have a tv or if we must, it be somewhere other than the living room if possible (if there is a den or something). My sisters think that if I don’t have a tv my children will be freaks.
“Freak” in a good way! 😃
“The devil’s box.” That cracked me up.
How do you like “Hellevision”? http://forums.catholic-questions.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12056&d=1320270446
 
My family did not watch TV very much when I was growing up. The TV was right there, but it wasn’t really on except for sports games, the news (sometimes), and whenever we watched a DVD. The TV sitting there is not inherently a bad thing. We were just always busy reading or drawing or whatever.
 
My brother in law works at a TV repair place where people ask them to “have a look” and when they find out how much it is going to cost to fix it, they just don’t ever come back for it. Susequently, he always has a TV he’s trying to unload. We have three TV’s in the house. One small one in a cupboard in the living room, a huge one in the family room, and a medium one in the guest bedroom. People must thing we’re real TV junkies but we really aren’t. We only turn them on when we want to watch a movie or to watch the news if the weather is really bad. We prefer to waste untold hours staring at our computers instead.
 
I have three TVs: One in living room, one in office/craft room, and one in bedroom. I usually have the TV on low for noise, but I’m single and I don’t always like to have just a quiet house. So when I’m making jewelry or sewing it’s turned on to a show that I’ve either seen or a movie is in the DVD so I can just have some noise around me while I’m working. In my bedroom it’s usually on in the morning while I’m getting ready for work and I’m watching the news – helps me keep track of what time it is:D
 
My family is probably on the list of watching too much TV. Its on pretty much all the time. Normally, we have two TVs but at one point we had four. When I had my own studio apartment, I just had one TV for myself but I really had no room or need for more.

I dont see that much of a problem with TV. There are many more positives than negatives. If you love sports, TV is geared 24/7 to it. There are also numerous religious channels, though only one normally Catholic one, but if you dont mind listening to what other denominations have to say it can be really good to watch.
 
I rarely even watch TV anymore except to watch videos or the news.The TV has become too much of a babysitter kids don’t get out and play outside .It contributes to the “obesity epidemic” that is suppoedly on the rise.
 
My wife and I have 3. Our main TV is in the upstairs living room. We also have a big-screen rear-projection TV in the basement family room, as well as a smaller set that sits unused (and not hooked up) in the spare bedroom. We do not have cable or satellite, and have no intention of subscribing to either (as in, TV should be FREE!). We live in a metropolitan area, so we get good reception with the old fashioned “rabbit ears” type of antennae; that’s all we use to receive broadcasts. We had a TV in the bedroom for a little while after we were married, but soon gave it das boot since we never watched it and when it was on, it ended up being a distraction and a point of contention. We do have a very large VHS/DVD collection, which makes the downstairs big-screen nice to have.

And, as my wife stated in a previous reply, many times we just spend more time staring at our computers anyway.
 
My husband and i have a TV but we don’t have cable because it is just way too expensive in this area. We do have netflix though and we really like it. We can get most of what we feel like watching without all the commercials. I had cable for just about my whole life before getting married, including in my college dorm and an apartment because it was included in the cost to live there so I thought I would miss it when I got married. I don’t!

There is nothing evil about cable or anything, it is just awfully expensive and there are certain channels that I don’t want to bring into my house. (MTV would be an example). I would love to be able to purchase the channels a la carte if I could. My husband and I would watch all the DIY shows!
 
We prefer to waste untold hours staring at our computers instead.
Good point. How many people are addicted to their computers or iphones?

Honestly, I am surprised at how many people answered negatively about TV.

Yes, there is a lot of junk, but I don’t watch it. But I never would have heard the beautiful voice of Andrea Bocelli if I hadn’t been watching televison. I wouldn’t have seen Mother Angelica either. For every piece of junk on tv, I can usually find something enjoyable, entertaining or educational. We love Mythbusters! “I reject your reality and substitute my own!”

I wouldn’t stop going to the Library because they have questionable, immoral or downright stupic books, I would choose something better. And so it is with the 2 televisons at our home.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top