I just today delivered a lecture at a local center on Black History month.discussing various issues down thru the years and how I fought against bigotry and class,ethnic hatred…so your ‘question’ is timely but confusing…you dont seem to care or notice that hollyweirds century long Italo bashing is in full swing…you like shows that sterotype folks hey…like Archie Bunker and Irish bigots,and Woji the Polish detective on the Barney Miller show etc etc…no group of people have so contantly been insulted as have we Italo-Americans…even as a teacher once in a while some smirking high schooler would ask me if I were ‘connected’ I would reply…'sure,see my pointed shoes"…Run dont walk and buy a copy of Birth of a Nation…this flick,premiered in the white house by Woodrow Wilson back in 1914,endorsed and glorified the KKK…this is a great relaxer and should also make you feel good. Stephin Fechit was an actor who played roles that made African-Americans look rather stupid…rolling his eyes,never talking clearly,shuffling,afraid of his own shadow etc etc…this is how I see those SOB actors who perform in the sopranos and gawd,fadder shows…and lets not forget the Fonze,the ultimate in grease monkey “…” etc etc…this latest cartoon re: the chimp killed by police but in a satyr actually our new president is a great one to keep,be sure to get your copy today…all the best…take this in good humor…plus a teaching moment…
I saw the documentary on Jack Johnson for the second time here recently on PBS. I don’t know why I saw it again, when you consider it was a mere 6 months before that I saw it the 1st time. I have a fascination with documentaries at times I suppose. When I saw it the second time, I saw something I did not see the first. Understand, Jack went through an awful lot of racial prejudice against him and that was apparent the first time as well, but a couple of things struck me to the core, and if these things weren’t entirely fabrications, they were very bad statements indeed. I understood this show was very likely done by a bunch of liberals, so anything could happen, but being used to seeing liberal slants it seemed to me it wasn’t too slanted and wasn’t begging for death to white america or anything like that.
The two things that struck me, were that Birth of a Nation segment, where it wasn’t only Woodrow Wilson that loved it, but I think the entire Supreme Court and a great many congressmen. It was the first movie ever showed at the White House.
The one thing that really got me though, was the press. They were calling Jack all the common anti-black slurs, alongside making obvious references to his race being inferior, animals, and so forth. So what did that do to me? I used to say that my ancestry was full of poor people, so there’s no way they owned slaves, so there was no problem with Negroes there. But after I saw the documentary I would have to say that they were quite likely just another cog in the widespread anti-Negro thinking of the day. To think that it was so out in the open that this garbage was being ran in very large newspapers, not only in the South, but also on both coasts. And of course we know the course it took later, with segregated drinking fountains and so forth. It did rather make me ashamed of being white.
There’s not a lot I can do about it anymore, as the attitudes of that day have largely past, but nowadays I worry about the other forms of prejudice out there, more specifically the anti-european male one out there, as that segment of the population is the one those who want revenge blame it on. You know reverse-discrimination and all of that. Racial hatred doesn’t really take a back seat (pun definitely not intended) if all it does is shift to another segment of the population. People just have to decide they won’t participate in it.
I told some of this to my Mom when she was in the hospital recently and I mentioned how silly it seems for at least white america to have any hatred for the blacks, or any other race, simply based on the principle of hurt. The principle of hurt, is that basically you should hate those who hurt you the most. Now while we know we shouldn’t hate, I look at it from a worldly perspective, and in the end, as you will see, it works out.
So, who hurts you the most? Usually your own race, just because you’re around them the most so therefore they hurt you the most. So why would you hate a race more, when they hurt you less? You don’t hate your own race I presume, so why other races? My mother then told me that a brother-in-law’s father was a big time racist, but when he was close to dying he confessed that he didn’t know why he hated black people, as they never did him any harm.