TV over the last 40 years and morality

  • Thread starter Thread starter edwest2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m working a LOT of hours this week and I know I’m really tired…but are we having a discussion about censoring material for everyone that we personally find objectionable? Isn’t that what everyone gets all upset about when it’s under the heading of "political correctness’?

The problem with censorship is that it’s wonderful until someone tries to use it on you or something you like. Then it’s totalitarian.
All parties have a personal - no government interference required - duty to be good stewards of what they’ve been given. Yeah, yeah, the old totalitarian line. I encourage everyone to ignore that and realize this:

We are all neighbors and we should be good neighbors in every sense of the word and to the best of our ability. We should do, say and act in a way that sincerely and appropriately “make this world” a better place, no matter how big or how small that contribution may be.

The force of law is not required but we - at least Christians - including myself - better remember that we will all stand before God and give an account for all we did.

Peace,
Ed
 
A bar has to be set somewhere. Would you be alright with hardcore pornography being broadcast on prime time television where any child left unsupervised could just turn it on? Television and radio are subject to censorship moreso than media like film and record, etc. because they are much harder to regulate in terms of audience. And even then, there are some things that any reasonable person would want censored in any case, to the extent in some instances of being criminalized. It’s not totalitarianism; it’s called being civilized.

Political correctness and media censorship are far from the same thing. One is an attempt to stifle any language that might be considered inflammatory insofar as it is blunt and not dressed up in “feel good” language. Censorship seeks to maintain a level of civility and decency in mainstream society. The wonderful thing about a democracy is that the majority rules. It’s the most fair way to play the game. The mission, then, is not to impose one’s view on others, but to convince others that your view is right. Democracy, much like Christianity, does not “force conversions.”
That’s right. I’m certainly not talking about forcing people to not read, watch, or hear what they want but, hopefully, helping them to realize that right is right and wrong is wrong. To my brothers and sisters in Christ, we must encourage each other to see clearly and to not accept the vagueness. Like “You can’t decide for me.” No, I can’t, but are we going to blindly accept the, “Well, it’s OK for Mature Adults because that means sin is different after the age of 21 and I can handle watching a little trash.”

Really? Is that our goal? To see how much trash we can handle or to remove as much trash from our life as possible? I know it ranges from very difficult to seemingly impossible for some - those who are truly addicted - and conditioned by years of doing the same thing over and over, to change.

If we, as men and women, want to be treated with dignity in public then we should expect nothing less coming out of our TVs. Human dignity requires human decency. Take that away and men and women are reduced to objects, not people, and when the most intimate aspect of a male-female relationship is reduced to meaningless “just sex,” what? Are we just two strange dogs, meet in the alley and after the mother gives birth to the pups, the male just walks away, denying his tremendous role in the upbringing of his and her children?

Shame on anyone who believes that is Modern or Civilized or OK. IT’S 100% WRONG. That is barbarism AND WE WILL NOT HAVE A CIVIL, FUNCTIONAL SOCIETY if we encourage any of it. Or if we believe the “hey, who knows, whatever, it doesn’t matter, you can’t tell me what to do, why should you care, etc.”

Peace,
Ed
 
So, what happens when the majority changes and it no longer shares your view of what is acceptable? Or is that what has already happened?

I still stand by my original thought-nobody is forcing anyone to watch anything. We all CHOOSE what to turn on or off. God thought enough of us to give us free will, too bad we don’t view our brothers and sisters the way He does.

Spend your energy leading your friends and family to Jesus, let Him change their lives and their behavior. If each of us did that, the rest would take care of itself. The changes in the world that many want to see would come.
 
So, what happens when the majority changes and it no longer shares your view of what is acceptable? Or is that what has already happened?

I still stand by my original thought-nobody is forcing anyone to watch anything. We all CHOOSE what to turn on or off. God thought enough of us to give us free will, too bad we don’t view our brothers and sisters the way He does.

Spend your energy leading your friends and family to Jesus, let Him change their lives and their behavior. If each of us did that, the rest would take care of itself. The changes in the world that many want to see would come.
You are partly right. But that doesn’t the explain the countless books, pamphlets, seminars and retreats for Catholics who have been Catholics all their lives or most of their lives and they get confused. Why? Because of the 24/7 trash coming out of the TV and all other media outlets.

And the devil is constantly taking old sins and repackaging them in pretty little boxes and people are fooled.

Inclusive: We approve of gay (LGBT) behavior.
Diversity: We approve of gay (LGBT) behavior.

I read an interview with one of the higher-ups at a video game company. He was asked about the fact that people could play gay characters in one of his games and could have relationships. He said he wanted his company to be “inclusive.”

Peace,
Ed
 
So, what happens when the majority changes and it no longer shares your view of what is acceptable? **Or is that what has already happened? **
Bingo.
I still stand by my original thought-nobody is forcing anyone to watch anything. We all CHOOSE what to turn on or off. God thought enough of us to give us free will, too bad we don’t view our brothers and sisters the way He does.
He also destroyed cities who abused that free will too much. I don’t think God wants us to let our societies, and especially our people, descend into utter decadence. These things have consequences. Moral decay leads to social decay. Social decay leads to economic collapse.
Spend your energy leading your friends and family to Jesus, let Him change their lives and their behavior. If each of us did that, the rest would take care of itself. The changes in the world that many want to see would come.
That is certainly ideal, but in lieu of utter success, we are not bound from trying to make other changes which might help remove some very firmly planted cultural obstacles in the meantime.
 
Ten or twenty years age, one of the Christian network stations tryed to put on a 'Christian soap opera". It did not last very long. :p:)
 
Ten or twenty years age, one of the Christian network stations tryed to put on a 'Christian soap opera". It did not last very long. :p:)
And now, there’s GCB - an insult to Christianity, faithful Christian women and Southern people. It’s hypocritical that the coasts (New York and Hollywood) would preach tolerance and yet be so intolerant.
 
Now it seems there’s a quota to have at least one gay person in every TV show. Some of the shows have two or three gays even though they only make up about 2% of the population. Gays probably get hired in Hollywood automatically just for being gay.
 
How I Met Your Mother - very funny episodes overall, but I don’t think I’ve seen one in which the character Barney is not regaling the group with his latest sexual conquest. In fact, he always takes pride in the fact that he sleeps with women whose names he doesn’t remember.
Actually, a guy I know that struggles with SSA made a similar comment to me.
Two and 1/2 men - have never seen it, but have seen commercials in which Charlie Sheen jokes about going to strip clubs.
Well he’s the guy who uses cocaine and sleeps with porn performers, then pays for their abortion pills. He sounds like an outstanding guy. Tells you all you need to know.

(Also, I’m incensed beyond belief why I even know he exists. I don’t watch the stuff yet it’s shoved down my throat at every turn, including the anecdote I just mentioned.)
The last two shows really show women at their worst and seem to glorify the very worst feminine traits.
I don’t think anything about those shows is the least bit feminine.
Oh, forgot to mention. I watch a bit of G4 from time to time, usually to see MMA or UFC competitions, and if I’m watching it late at night there are often commercials advertising phone-sex companies or a ladies’ sex toy made by Trojan.
You’re watching UFC and MMA and are worried about sex?! Should you not be equally concerned that UFC and MMA exist?
I’m not sure when we’ll get to a point where the majority say: enough. But I’m sure it will happen.
I hope you’re right. But, like you said, that’s not to say that there isn’t anything good on. *Trailer Park Boys *is one of my favourite shows of all time, but it’s not what I’d call something for the kids to watch. I’m more concerned with the “reality” garbage and the excessive violence. (Compare the original Law & Order to the horrible dark evil stuff on the newer ones. It makes me ill.)
Compare Three’s Company to Friends, Friends to Two and a Half Men.
I loved Three’s Company. The latter two are not in the least bit funny.
After Walt Disney died, his brother couldn’t take up the slack, so the company was purchased by an outsider who cared only about power and money.
And who wasn’t a virulent anti-Semite.
I get what you are saying about Hollywood, but in all charity, the Far East is not the promised land…don’t even get me started on the amount of human trafficking and underage prostitution and depravity that goes on there. Not to mention the dire “third world poverty”.
And as much as I love Korea and Japan, they have their dark evil secrets. Look at the suicide rate. My friend had to deal with an eight year-old student of his who killed herself due to the pressure of trying to please and keep up. An eight year-old!
 
And as much as I love Korea and Japan, they have their dark evil secrets. Look at the suicide rate. My friend had to deal with an eight year-old student of his who killed herself due to the pressure of trying to please and keep up. An eight year-old!
I completely agree with you. There’s plenty of suicides in those two countries. I’ve even heard of how a 10-year-old South Korean girl who killed herself simply because her parents did not let her have cosmetic surgery. 😦
Pray for those two countries!
 
I completely agree with you. There’s plenty of suicides in those two countries. I’ve even heard of how a 10-year-old South Korean girl who killed herself simply because her parents did not let her have cosmetic surgery. 😦
Pray for those two countries!
Indeed!

Korea has a decent sized Christian population, so that’s a start. If any place needed the message about the dignity of all human life and the fact that God loves all his children, regardless of how they do on an exam for 7 year-olds, it’s China, Japan, and Korea.

Also, I just met two – count 'em, two – Japanese Catholics today. One of them was telling me how a former Japanese PM was Catholic as well. Whether he was in communion or was merely a “canteen Catholic” was something that wasn’t discussed.
 
Indeed!

Korea has a decent sized Christian population, so that’s a start. If any place needed the message about the dignity of all human life and the fact that God loves all his children, regardless of how they do on an exam for 7 year-olds, it’s China, Japan, and Korea.

Also, I just met two – count 'em, two – Japanese Catholics today. One of them was telling me how a former Japanese PM was Catholic as well. Whether he was in communion or was merely a “canteen Catholic” was something that wasn’t discussed.
I agree with you.

Let me guess which Japanese PM they were referring to. Is it former Japanese PM Taro Aso by any chance? 🙂
 
Let me guess which Japanese PM they were referring to. Is it former Japanese PM Taro Aso by any chance? 🙂
Correct! 😃

But I wonder how truly he could have followed Catholic teaching in his job, considering his involvement with the LDP. (Not that the DPJ would be any better.) Politics is so corrupt in that country. Then again, can anyone be in the governing party and remain at all times in complete adherence to Church teaching? (I was actually having a friendly debate about this with an RCIA instructor. He thinks not, but that’s a discussion for another thread.)
 
Correct! 😃

But I wonder how truly he could have followed Catholic teaching in his job, considering his involvement with the LDP. (Not that the DPJ would be any better.) Politics is so corrupt in that country. Then again, can anyone be in the governing party and remain at all times in complete adherence to Church teaching? (I was actually having a friendly debate about this with an RCIA instructor. He thinks not, but that’s a discussion for another thread.)
South Korean politics is another story altogether. o:

Back to the discussion, I still stand by what I said about how shows in the Far East are saner than their Western counterparts.
 
You’re watching UFC and MMA and are worried about sex?! Should you not be equally concerned that UFC and MMA exist?
You bring up another area worth considering.:hmmm:

I think there’s a difference between exploitative violence and the sort of violence that is found in sporting events. I view MMA the same way I view a boxing match - it is a sports competition. Self-defense, IMO, is not only moral but a rather practical skill to have in today’s world. I don’t find anything wrong with a regulated match in which the opponents are able to test their skills in a sportsman-like way. The difference between the championship league and regular training is that it is filmed and aired on TV, and prizes are given to the winners (same as dance competitions, vocal competitions, etc). What would your objections to these fights be?
 
You bring up another area worth considering.:hmmm:

I think there’s a difference between exploitative violence and the sort of violence that is found in sporting events. I view MMA the same way I view a boxing match - it is a sports competition. Self-defense, IMO, is not only moral but a rather practical skill to have in today’s world. I don’t find anything wrong with a regulated match in which the opponents are able to test their skills in a sportsman-like way. The difference between the championship league and regular training is that it is filmed and aired on TV, and prizes are given to the winners (same as dance competitions, vocal competitions, etc). What would your objections to these fights be?
I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I would like to respond anyway. 😃 My personal objections to them would be that they a) glorify violence; and b) abuse the temple of the Holy Spirit. These guys do immense damage to their bodies and brains. Self-defense is a practical skill but I don’t agree with it being used for entertainment. But I’m not infallible, so take that for what it’s worth. 🙂
 
I know this wasn’t directed at me, but I would like to respond anyway. 😃 My personal objections to them would be that they a) glorify violence; and b) abuse the temple of the Holy Spirit. These guys do immense damage to their bodies and brains. Self-defense is a practical skill but I don’t agree with it being used for entertainment. But I’m not infallible, so take that for what it’s worth. 🙂
I welcome all replies:D

If I may ask, what do you think is the difference between this and say, a boxing match or a wrestling match?
 
nowadays, the show FULL HOUSE would be about two or three GAY men raising three girls; not a recently widowed father, his brother in law and his best friend raising his three daughters.

Brady Bunch also showed the married couple in bed, but that was late 60s, early 1970s.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top