TV Rants

  • Thread starter Thread starter PoliSciProf
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What corporations are paying for the Cialis and Viagra commercials anyway? They’re on every single channel, almost. I have no problems iwth the product. Some men do have have sexual problems and medicine is there to help sooth that, but you start forgetting about the products if you see them every commercial break.

I fear that some people here wiould be total Communists if ever they got a position of power. They would ban anything that “they” found offensive. It’s funny how many American Catholics are sympathetic to Communist ideology.
 
What corporations are paying for the Cialis and Viagra commercials anyway? They’re on every single channel, almost. I have no problems iwth the product. Some men do have have sexual problems and medicine is there to help sooth that, but you start forgetting about the products if you see them every commercial break.

I fear that some people here wiould be total Communists if ever they got a position of power. They would ban anything that “they” found offensive. It’s funny how many American Catholics are sympathetic to Communist ideology.
It’s not that they’re on, it’s when they’re on.
 
It’s not that they’re on, it’s when they’re on.
Exactly. We were listening to a program on the Sci-Fi channel at 2 in the afternoon when a commercial for a sex chat line was aired. What ever happened to “family time” on TV?

Remember people, in the bad old days when TV was regulated so that adult material didn’t air before 9 PM? Wasn’t it horrible and repressive for people to have to wait until the kiddies went to bed to be inundated with sex, graphic violence, and more sex–in the commercials? Yeah, regulation is such a bad idea! :rolleyes:
 
I am a history buff and lately I have been very interested in Henry the VIII…Since I’m a recent convert to Catholicism I thought it would be interesting to learn more about it with my new found perspective…I saw a tv show called the Tudors advertising on itunes and thought I’d watch an episode…not realizing it was from Showtime…

I felt like I was watching porn…felt disgusting…people were having what looked like real sex!!! Completely naked people thrusting in violent manners!! I don’t see how they were NOT having real sex…Also there was a random clip of the King Henry masturbating into a towel held by a servant…I fast forwarded it…and turns out the clip of him just masturbating lasted almost 5 min!

Now I just stick with Law and Order…the Golden Girls…and Frasier with the occasional show on the discovery channel and history. Don’t know what I would do without my dvds b/c that’s what I usually watch anyway

Oh and what “bleeps”? Most shows on REGULAR tv just go ahead and say the full word. Prime time tv use extremely foul language. I can’t remember the last time I heard a “bleeped” word…
 
OK folks, what do **really hate **about the state of television? I am not necessarily talking about specific programs but the state of contemporary television overall.

My rant: I can’t stand the huge explosion of four letter obscenities that are just barely bleeped out. Often the first letter is clearly heard before the incomplete bleep. This practice seems to be occuring on more and more programs and channels every day. It is a totally unnecessary coarsening of television programming and our popular culture as well!
My opinion on this is, either say it or don’t say it. But don’t bleep it out, if you say it. And if the network doesn’t want those words to be said, then, hey network, don’t buy those shows. Or put them on after midnight, or whatever. 🤷
 
you can complain about tv, but if you don’t do anything nothing will change. i wish more people would abandon TV. if there isn’t anything worth watching, then why do you keep watching? if viewership drops, the stations might notice (no guarentee they will tho). you could write to the stations, if you like to do that sort of thing. most of all stop buying cable and supporting the stations you hate. why do you think stations are bundled? to pay for the stuff most people don’t watch. and if you stop buying cable you’ll have $50 to $100 of extra cash each week. 🤷
 
you can complain about tv, but if you don’t do anything nothing will change. i wish more people would abandon TV. if there isn’t anything worth watching, then why do you keep watching? if viewership drops, the stations might notice (no guarantee they will tho). you could write to the stations, if you like to do that sort of thing. most of all stop buying cable and supporting the stations you hate. why do you think stations are bundled? to pay for the stuff most people don’t watch. and if you stop buying cable you’ll have $50 to $100 of extra cash each week. 🤷
We have Dish, but we have to buy a package deal that includes channels we don’t watch. If only it was as simple as not having a TV or not buying package deals. But, like most things in life it’s not quite that simple for most people. Along with the channels we never watch we get most of the ones we do watch, so we keep on subscribing. It’s like subscribing to magazines–you get all the ads and articles you’ll never read or respond to along with the articles/pix, etc. you want to have.

What bothers us most is the blatantly sexual ads aired during the day when very young children are watching. Now that we can do something about if we are willing to take the time and effort. For every letter written at least 50 people feel the same way. Advertisers know this, so if enough of us wrote about airing inappropriate ads during the day we might just be able to change when they are shown. Not saying it’s guaranteed, but it couldn’t hurt to try. 🙂
 
you can complain about tv, but if you don’t do anything nothing will change. i wish more people would abandon TV. if there isn’t anything worth watching, then why do you keep watching? if viewership drops, the stations might notice (no guarentee they will tho). you could write to the stations, if you like to do that sort of thing. most of all stop buying cable and supporting the stations you hate. why do you think stations are bundled? to pay for the stuff most people don’t watch. and if you stop buying cable you’ll have $50 to $100 of extra cash each week. 🤷
I just ain’t gonna do it. I like my choices. What’s sinful for one is simply entertainment for another.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top