TV: Swingtown?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CuriousInIL
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
To those who like this type of program or who think viewing/airing this is simply a matter of taste and choice, I have a few thoughts and a link to offer. Watching TV or movies that promote sex and violence is sinful. Why care? Because sin offends God. Pretty simple, really. Follow the link for a good Christian commentary on the subject (not a Catholic site, but the comments are right on and accurate nonetheless).

focusedandfree.com/what_is_sin_and_why_should_i_care_.html
Don’t watch the show if you feel you are offending God and may be tempted by the messages.
 
I dont know really what the big deal is on this show being on. I mean gosh. We have men and women over there in Iraq and other places fighting for our freedom to do what we do. I dont know of anyone in this country who would want to revert back to Stallinism, Dictatorship and Communism to tell us what we are allowed to do and not to do. Our fore fathers fought to keep this country free so we can have choices like this , and I dont want to even think about what it would be like to live under such sensorship like they did in Russia, and Germany.
I say it again… If it offends you, just dont watch it. And if my watching it makes me a bad person then you know … that Is between God and me. Not for others to judge.
 
Don’t watch the show if you feel you are offending God
Actually, just judging from the commercial I saw, if I did watch it I think I would be offending both God AND myself because it looks like nothing but depravity. I guess if enough people don’t tune in, then maybe a message could be sent and then maybe better choices of programs could be forthcoming. We can only hope.
 
I’ll just be my own version of Catholic, right? Hear no evil, see no evil, and if I do, no one can judge me. Interesting approach.

To my fellow Catholics:

Time to open your eyes and realize that Hollywood is not your friend. They have aided and abetted the Sin Revolution which began in earnest in 1968. This show is just a reaffirmation of the 1969 move about “swingers” titled Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice.

The word adultery is changed to “open marriage,” and this program glorifies adultery, the use of illegal drugs and pornography. Creator and Executive Producer, Mike Kelly, bases it on his own parents’ swinging experiences. The terms “mind expanding” and “values shift” are brought up in reviews of this show. For those who were there, and I was, I watched as a small group of people, with full media support, tried to make sin and experimentation with illegal drugs acceptable. I lost a few friends to the work of evil. Meanwhile, so-called “adult bookstores” had popped up all over the country.

It’s not enough to turn it off or change the channel. It’s time to protest CBS and Hollywood itself. It’s time to pray for Mr. Kelly and all those involved in the sin as entertainment industry.

God bless,
Ed
 
I dont know really what the big deal is on this show being on. I mean gosh. We have men and women over there in Iraq and other places fighting for our freedom to do what we do. I dont know of anyone in this country who would want to revert back to Stallinism, Dictatorship and Communism to tell us what we are allowed to do and not to do. Our fore fathers fought to keep this country free so we can have choices like this , and I dont want to even think about what it would be like to live under such sensorship like they did in Russia, and Germany.
I say it again… If it offends you, just dont watch it. And if my watching it makes me a bad person then you know … that Is between God and me. Not for others to judge.
I agree with you 100%. There are so many channels. This show didn’t start the immorality trend on tv and it sadly will not be the last. I would hope that a grown person would know to change the channel by now in today’s world. What if athiest said I don’t think Christian channels should show thier agenda?(I disagree with this mind set) We would tell them that they are taking away our choice to watch what we want. We would tell them to change the channel if the athiest didn’t want to hear the message. God gave us a free will for a reason. He gave us the free will to stay away from temptation(changing the channel).
 
I agree with you 100%. There are so many channels. This show didn’t start the immorality trend on tv and it sadly will not be the last. I would hope that a grown person would know to change the channel by now in today’s world. What if athiest said I don’t think Christian channels should show thier agenda?(I disagree with this mind set) We would tell them that they are taking away our choice to watch what we want. We would tell them to change the channel if the athiest didn’t want to hear the message. God gave us a free will for a reason. He gave us the free will to stay away from temptation(changing the channel).
:extrahappy:**Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Finally someone who gets it. **
 
I am sorry to say this and if it makes me not out to be a good Catholic then that is fine. But I feel that God has given each of us a brain and if we are watching something on TV that we disagree with, then just simply pick up the man invented aparatus called the remote control and change the channel. I watched it and to me all it did was show what happend in the 70’s that the world was clueless over. I am already anxious for the next episode… If yall are going to get into an uproar about this then why dont yall contact all of the big networks and have all the soap operas taken off the air too? Heck they show more skin and stuff on shows like the Bachelor, and the teenage shows like Dawsons Creek, Gillmore Girls, and a other show. My thing is this, if it offends you, Simply just dont watch it but dont ruin it for the rest of us who want to. And again… If watching shows like this makes me out to be a bad Catholic, then so be it.
The line I highlighted is exactly the reason that shows like this are dangerous. The message is that everyone was doing this in the 70s. As someone who came of age in the 70s I can tell you that few lived liked this - it is not representative of the way families lived their lives. It is another attempt (dishonest attempt) to portray humans as nothing more than animals unable to control their urges.
 
As someone who came of age in the 70s I can tell you that few lived liked this - it is not representative of the way families lived their lives. It is another attempt (dishonest attempt) to portray humans as nothing more than animals unable to control their urges.
Amen! The premise is a mythical town of ridiculous exaggeration and stereotypes. Pure garbage.
 
Shows like this are basically try to perverse the past as they try and convince the audience/general public that “Look, everyone was living like this way back in the olden days of the 70’s, so the 2000’s are really not that bad after all”.

Wonder if Satan could have set this system up or written the scripts any better?:rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top