Twitter suspends fake accounts pretending to be Black Trump supporters

• Thread starter Thread starter RidgeSprinter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder how they knew these people weren’t black? Did they come down their chimneys? Or is this just another “Twitter suppression of speech”?

To the Readers:
Twitter has recently suspended a slew of fake accounts pretending to be Black supporters of President Donald Trump. Many have tweeted this identical phrase: "YES IM BLACK AND IM VOTING FOR TRUMP."

A Twitter spokesperson told CNN the accounts violated rules against platform manipulation and spam, which ban users from tweeting to “artificially amplify or suppress information,” among other activities.

A fake account was using a real man’s image​

One of the suspended accounts belonged to a user named “Gary Ray,” who described himself as “probably the best meat eater in the world.”

The account was slim on personal details. His location was set to Detroit, and he’d only joined Twitter in August. His profile photo appeared to be a professionally shot black-and-white portrait.

In at least two of his 10 tweets, he proudly claimed that he was a Black man who planned to vote for Trump next month.

“YES IM BLACK AND IM VOTING FOR TRUMP,” a screenshot of the suspended account reads. “Twitter has suspended 2 of my other accounts for supporting Trump. Can you please give me some retweets and a follow? I follow all back, Love ya”

"Gary Ray" isn’t real, but the man in his profile picture is. His name is Robert Williams, and he didn’t know the account had used his photo until reached by CNN.
The twitter imposters don’t realize you can do a photo search now.

Wonder how they knew these people weren’t black? Did they come down their chimneys? Or is this just another “Twitter suppression of speech”?
Presumably the AI algorithm identified accounts posting the exact same thing, but the actually removal was probably done by manual examination of the sign-up credentials, such as e-mail address, and possibly the IP address they post from. They could have ways to detect inconsistencies or patterns in those credentials that point to a single entity controlling multiple accounts. That would be reason enough to suspend accounts irrespective of the race of the participants.

40.png
LeafByNiggle:
Presumably
They could have
Uh huh. That’s certainly not very persuasive.
I didn’t expect to persuade you. I just wanted people to see there are ways to determine fake accounts without “coming down chimneys”. For those who distrust everything Twitter says, nothing could ever be persuasive.

I would not trust him as far as could throw him. And I could only throw him an inch.
Well, the bar is pretty low if one has used their right to vote to further end the lives of children of color overseas.

I certainly don’t do that and anyone who does should own it.

ummm. There is more support for President Trump than for any other republican in recent history from Black people.

I can think of a few.

Dr Alveda King (Niece of Martin Luther King, civil rights leader)
BET founder Robert Johnson
Candace Owens
Kanye West
50 Cents

There are a lot of Black supporters for Trump. You can find them everywhere. Does this mean Trump has the black vote? Nope. Before Trump, Blacks where about 90% Democrat. We are about to find out how has that changed.

ummm. There is more support for President Trump than for any other republican in recent history from Black people.

I can think of a few.

Dr Alveda King (Niece of Martin Luther King, civil rights leader)
BET founder Robert Johnson
Candace Owens
Kanye West
50 Cents
A few is not indicative of the trend.

And they are taking a lot heat from their communities.

Last edited:
Yes the bar is low if a Republican is responsible for the fake accounts.
You have no proof of that.

The bar is low, if Democrats support abortion law that ends the lives of maybe up to one half of all African Americans conceived. Not what my vote is for. There is proof of this though.

Who are the culprits? Russians or Republicans?
A friend of mine complained to Twitter during the 2016 elections that someone had cloned her account. At the time Twitter refused to do anything.

A few weeks ago, inreceived an instagram message from what appeared to be an account of a black woman that I’ve k own for half my life. It came across as odd because her word usage and punctuation patterns were off. I then noticed it was not the friend, but someone that made an account that reverse to letters in her name and had re-uploaded all her pictures.

Favebook refused to remove the account for impersonation. But my friend was able to get the account suspended by making copyright violation claims on her photos.

manual examination of the sign-up credentials, such as e-mail address, and possibly the IP address they post from.
In the more recent twitter accounts that uve created, after a few tweets the account was locked until I validated the accounts by providing a phone number. As I only have access to so many numbers, the twitter accounts are linked by my phones.

I’ve wondered if this has played a role when twitter discovers suspended users making new accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back