Two charged in videotaped scuffle over ‘Biden 2020’ chalk writings

• Thread starter Thread starter Nepperhan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nepperhan

Trump supporters were charges in a post-election attack against some nannies. Its strange how the ethnic card got played.

" A Chicago woman and man are facing misdemeanor charges for a post-Election Day scuffle captured on video that erupted in a South Side park over chalk markings scribbled on pavement that included “Biden 2020” and “Black Lives Matter.”

Lorena Petani, 64, and Lucio Zapata, 21, were charged with battery over the weekend for the Nov. 4 incident at Chicago Women’s Park and Garden, Chicago police confirmed Tuesday.

The defendants, both of the 300 block of East Cullerton Street, are due in court early next month. Neither could be reached for comment Tuesday.

Alexis Hadac, a 19-year-old college student who filmed the melee, told the Tribune she and her friend, working as nannies, were attacked early that afternoon while having a play date with two children who were in their care in the park at 1801 S. Indiana Ave. The children, both under 4, were not injured.

Hadac said they were blowing bubbles with the children and playing with pieces of chalk that someone else had left behind in the park on the unseasonably warm afternoon when an unidentified, older woman later identified as Petani accused them of vandalism.

Hadac and her friend, Haylee Sandoval, also 19, said someone else had left most of the scribblings on the park pavement before they arrived. The children added smiley faces and one of the nannies wrote “Biden 2020,” they said.

Hadac said she used her camera phone to begin filming after the woman grew more aggressive and mentioned that her husband was a police officer. The woman dragged her foot across a chalk marking that read “BLM,” for Black Lives Matter, to erase it from the pavement, she said.

“Once I (saw) she was scraping the chalk and getting closer without a mask on, I was like ‘I have to document this,’ because if this gets serious, it’s her word against ours,” said Hadac. “If her husband is a cop, like she’s claiming, our words aren’t going to be taken more than hers.”

Previous news reports had the women being asked if they were citizens. Chalk writings on sidewalks have a long history in Chicago and are not illegal.

"“We had the bubbles out and the kids were having a blast and then that’s when the lady came and started to wreak havoc,” Sandoval said “I was just trying to de-escalate the situation, just like my friend was, because we had kids around. You don’t want to bring that kind of violence around kids because you don’t know what type of trauma they’ll experience or take from it.”

In the video, Hadac next urged Sandoval to call police. As the woman and the young man quickly walk away, Hadac follows them, still recording and urging her friend to call police. Within seconds, after Hadac shouts out to the woman that she filmed her “putting your hands on (me),” the woman turned toward the camera and appears to attack Hadac. A scuffle ensues."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back