two JWs at my door today.

  • Thread starter Thread starter justinthemartyr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

justinthemartyr

Guest
My wife answered and then I took over, not letting them in near my children.

After they made their fishing statements and threw the line out for me to bite, I went directly to the fact that scripture alone is not the authority of God on this earth, and they said “really”?

I said no, and 1 tim 3 is not going to sway me into believing that it is, and they quoted it anyway, and then I pointed out the term “profitable” which their bible translated it “beneficial”

and I explained that it meant “useful” but that it never said “necessary”.

I then took them through a brief Bible history and church history tour, asking them if they knew any of these things.

I then asked, if the bible alone is your authority, then why do you need an organization to interpret it correctly for you, and why must you hold to it?

He asked me if I was Catholic, I said yes and they wished me a good day, and I them.
 
Good for you. They’ve been making rounds for some time in my neighborhood. I was on the phone at the time. They asked me if they could read some scripture to me and I said no. Their eyes bugged out. But that was enough for them to leave. I wasn’t nasty or anything. I’m not to the point where I think I can go toe to toe with anyone yet in defense of my faith but I’m working on it. My thing is if there will only be 144,000 anointed then why would they work to get others into their church? Wouldn’t that deprive someone else? 🙂
 
I was reading this post and the other thread talking about Mormon missionaries, and both of you seem to have shown great Christian hospitality toward them.

While I believe that is good, I’m always a little wary of inviting JW’s into my home, based on the warning in 2 John,

** If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him in your house or even greet him; for whoever greets him shares in his evil works.**

What do you all think?
 
There was no invite on my part. Nowadays I don’t know you or expect you then you stay outside. I remember this from my youth my mother always said if they come to the door tell them you have to give blood. I think that’s much worse than what I said to them. The footnotes from the scripture you describe indicate they were wandering preachers and the “early” Christians had suspicions regarding false teachers and considered dangerous and devisive and they should be shunned. Oh well I think I shunned them alright. My faith has been tested numerous times by these folks and others alike. More extreme than they. Have a run with a SDA and you’ll never go outside again. Kidding. All these encounters do is strengthen my faith all the more. I’m not an apologist by any means and avoid confrontation.
 
That’s the best way of dealing with Jehovah’s False Witnesses or the Mutants from Kolob or any other cultist: YOU take control of the conversation and don’t let it go!
 
(Matthew 24:14) And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.

Today this scripture was fulfilled at your doorstep, and Jesus Christ and his Father YHWH watched to see your reaction.
 
Good for you. They’ve been making rounds for some time in my neighborhood.
FYI…

JW’s have every house, in every town, in every state, in every country covered. They systematically knock on every door. If no on answers, they’ll come back 2 more times before turning in the territory card.

Each territory card is covered 1-4 times each year.

No house is missed. Everyone is getting the chance to hear the message:

Matt 24:14
 
My thing is if there will only be 144,000 anointed then why would they work to get others into their church? Wouldn’t that deprive someone else? 🙂
Matt 5:5
Psa 37:10, 11

Both are promises that are held at to you. It’s not all about going to heaven.
 
I was reading this post and the other thread talking about Mormon missionaries, and both of you seem to have shown great Christian hospitality toward them.

While I believe that is good, I’m always a little wary of inviting JW’s into my home, based on the warning in 2 John,

If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him in your house or even greet him; for whoever greets him shares in his evil works.

What do you all think?
I think - and this may be a bit politically incorrect these days but sobeit - 2 John is primarily addressing a female and her children (see 2 John 1:1). As such, this would be a Christian wife with the husband absent or a widow perhaps. Given this context, it seems to me not to be proper for her to receive someone (most certainly a man) preaching false doctrines into her home. It simply isn’t her role or nature to do such or to engage in such a “battle”, and she would put herself and her soul in jeopardy.

I would think it a pretty good rule to follow generally though I’m sure there are exceptions (I’m thinking of Mother Angelica) - I wouldn’t want my wife to do such in my absense.

That being said, for a husband and wife or the husband by himself to take the opportunity to evangilize - by all means. As Peter tells us: “…Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to accountfor the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence”

And that being said - if someone is going to do such, they better know their faith and proceed with much prayer.

If one is not too comfortable getting into the ol’ verse slinging type stuff. I’d recommend telling them you’d be happy to put them in contact with someone who can share with them the Catholic faith, but that you are not willing to hear any other “strange” doctrines. If they are decent folks, they should respect that. And in doing this, by all means be sure and communicate briefly what the faith means to you. Be a witness by all means - but you don’t necessarily have to be a theologin or apologist.

Peace in Christ,

DustinsDad
 
All I know is that these two kids, and I’m serious they were like 19, 20 at the most, came to my door calling themselves Elder This and Elder That. I’m thirty years old and I by no means consider myself an authority on my faith, much less an “elder”. I thought that was hilarious.
 
All I know is that these two kids, and I’m serious they were like 19, 20 at the most, came to my door calling themselves Elder This and Elder That. I’m thirty years old and I by no means consider myself an authority on my faith, much less an “elder”. I thought that was hilarious.
Oh wait that’s Mormons. But still…
 
I was reading this post and the other thread talking about Mormon missionaries, and both of you seem to have shown great Christian hospitality toward them.

While I believe that is good, I’m always a little wary of inviting JW’s into my home, based on the warning in 2 John,

** If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him in your house or even greet him; for whoever greets him shares in his evil works.**

What do you all think?
I completely agree, I for one will not invite them into my home. I will speak to them and correct them, but I will not except anything from them period. They have tried to give me a book of their’s once and they were very persistent, but eventually had to give up. This is a site that I came across, they have many questions that JWs don’t like, I haven’t really look through the site entirely, just the JW Questions part (it is quite interesting).
 
These sites are filled with disinformation about JW’s in an attempt to prevent you from listening…

Here’s the real source of accurate information:

www.watchtower.org
 
(Matthew 24:14) And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.

Today this scripture was fulfilled at your doorstep, and Jesus Christ and his Father YHWH watched to see your reaction.
Steve didn’t you know that the Catholic church has been spreading the gospel in fullfilment of mathew 24:14 for the last 2000 years…long before watchtower or jw’s were even thought of.

Jw’s preach a NEW teaching. Who has authorizd this?
It was not the bible, because a Catholic book would not authorize
Jw’s to teach a new doctrine.

It was not God, Jesus trained his apostles who trained others who are today called the catholic church. Christ has never spoken to
Anyone in watchtower, No angel has EVER spoken to anyone in watchtower. NO Prophet nothing!

Watchtower is completely man made. And jw bible interpretation
also originates with man which is why jw’s had to change there bible
because this Catholic book is not in harmony with watchtower man mad doctrine.
 
These sites are filled with disinformation about JW’s in an attempt to prevent you from listening…

Here’s the real source of accurate information:

www.watchtower.org
I assume that you are apart of the JW Cult? The fact of the matter is that the www.watchtower.org is going to defend this cult with tooth and nail, you act like everything on that site is 100% accurate, something that we need to keep in mind is that if they need to lie and make false prophesies (which there are many) that is what they are going to do. The Problem with the JW Cult is that it is over 1800 years to late.

A question that you must ask yourself is, which Church is founded by Christ himself?

Oh wait that right JWs don’t believe that Jesus is God, so I guess that wouldn’t matter.

Please if you don’t mind answer these Questions for me.
  • Has the Society ever taught anything scripturally incorrect?
  • How do you prove from the Bible that 1935 was the year for the selection to heaven stopped due to being filled? What is the difference between a Catholic appealing to “what the organization tells him” about December 25 being the date of Jesus’ birthday and a Jw’ appealing to “what the organization tells him” about the date 1935? Is it not hypocritical when you chide the “poor deluded Catholic” that his faith cannot find a Bible passage to support it, when the same goes for you and 1935?
  • Why are you called, “Jehovah’s Witnesses” and not “Christians”? Since Jehovah’s Witnesses appeal to Isa 43:12; 44:8 for scriptural support that they should be called, “Jehovah’s Witnesses” then what was the “new name” prophesied in Isa 62:2? Can’t be “Jehovah’s Witnesses”, for God already used it 20 chapters earlier. Could the new name be “Christian” after our savior “Christ”?
  • If the name Jehovah is so important, then why is it never used in the entire Greek New Testament? If men edited out the name of God, “YHWH” when they copied the New Testament, as only the Watchtower organization claims, then how can we have any confidence in any of the New Testament? Should we discard the New Testament or the Watchtower organization as unreliable?
  • Since the Jehovah’s Witness organization currently rejects most of the teachings of its founder Charles Taze Russell (who was president of the organization from 1879-1916), and since they also reject “Judge” Joseph Franklin Rutherford, who succeeded Russell as president from 1916 - 1942, how can we be sure that in 25 more years, Jehovah’s Witnesses won’t also reject the current president, Milton G. Henschel (1992 - present), as they did Russell and Rutherford?
  • What kind of confidence can anyone have in an organization that rejected its founder and first two presidents for the first 63 years of its existence? This represents about 53% of the time they have existed!
  • If Jesus was executed on a torture stake, with both hands together over his head, why does Jn 20:25 say “…Unless I see in his hands the print of the nailS …”, indicating that there was more than one nail used for his hands?
  • If there is no conscious awareness after death, how could the “spirits in prison” be preached to by Christ after his death (1Pet 3:18-20) and how could the good news be “declared also to the dead” (1Pet 4:6)?
  • Heb 9:28, speaking of Christ, says “… and the second time he appears…” How can Christ APPEAR a second time if he will not have a visible return to earth?
  • In the sermon on the mount, when Jesus was addressing the “great crowd” (Lk 6:17), why did he tell them in Lk 6:22-23, “…your reward is great in heaven …”?
  • The Bible says that ONLY God is our savior (Hos 13:4, Isa 43:11,45:21, etc.). How can it be then, that the Bible repeatedly says that Jesus Christ is our savior (Lk 2:11, Phil 3:20, Tit 2:13, 3:6, 2Pet 1:1, 2:20, 3:18, etc.)?
  • If Christ was created by God and was the wisdom of God (Prov 8:1-4, 12, 22-31), then before Jesus would have been created, God would have had to have been without wisdom. How is it possible that God could have ever been without wisdom?
  • If the Watchtower organization rejects others calling them “inspired” yet the Watchtower organization does call themselves “God’s Spirit-directed Prophet” what is the difference? Is there such a thing as an “uninspired prophet”?
    These are just some questions that I would like answered, so if you could please do enlighten me.
 
Each of your questions is easily addressed.

However, given your attitude in presenting them, I think this scripture is advising me to decline response:

(Titus 3:9) But shun foolish questionings

However, if you are really sincere in wanting to understand, please read www.watchtower.org
 
Each of your questions is easily addressed.

However, given your attitude in presenting them, I think this scripture is advising me to decline response:

(Titus 3:9) But shun foolish questionings

However, if you are really sincere in wanting to understand, please read www.watchtower.org
I think those are good question certainly not foolish whether posed with or without an attitude doesn’t’ really matter. After all you are the one that’s come to a Catholic forum. You don’t expect to be refuted?
 
I think those are good question certainly not foolish whether posed with or without an attitude doesn’t’ really matter. After all you are the one that’s come to a Catholic forum. You don’t expect to be refuted?
Elizabeth,

If you are sincerely interested in the answers to any of those questions, please drop me a PM and I’d be glad to answer them for you. Please feel free to ask any of them one at a time.

If someone came here and dumped a big long list of questions critical of Catholics… I think it would fall under the same category. You shouldn’t be expected to devote all your time to answer a big long list of anti-Catholic questions from someone who wouldn’t really listen to the answers anyway.

The question is whether the person is sincere in his questions, or not. Calling me part of a cult was the first tip-off.
 
I think those are good question certainly not foolish whether posed with or without an attitude doesn’t’ really matter. After all you are the one that’s come to a Catholic forum. You don’t expect to be refuted?
I agree, those are very good questions. Thought the opening line of the post probably put Steve off (or perhaps gave him an excuse to not address the questions).

That being said, at the given link I do see some of the general themes of JW teachings presented, I don’t see these questions specificaly addressed. Perhaps Steve will answer them himself or give links to pages that address the questions specifically.

Peace in Christ,

DustinsDad
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top