Two questions about the Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter SophieG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How old are the people organizing these Masses? Just curious. It sounds to me like acting out the Gospel as a skit while the other sit on the floor is something you do for little kids (outside of Mass, mind you!), not teenagers. Help them become adults!
Well, there are a few adults who help the process along, but lectors, musicians, skit actors (who don’t exist right now, but if they did), and so on are all teenagers. Yes, I agree it seems childish. I honestly don’t see the appeal.
 
I have vivid memories (of the nightmare variety) of this sort of thing. It was legion in the post-conciliar liturgical free-for-all. Apparently it still is: bad habits die hard.😦
 
Well, last night at youth group they asked us for our thoughts and recommendations about the youth Mass. So I wrote about gospel skits and excluding non-teens. We’ll see.
 
I have attended a parish where the youth group acted out the Passion on Palm Sunday
in place of the priest and lectors doing the readings. I do not think that this is Liturgically
correct. Any thoughts?
 
I have attended a parish where the youth group acted out the Passion on Palm Sunday
in place of the priest and lectors doing the readings. I do not think that this is Liturgically
correct. Any thoughts?
That depends on what you mean. As I first read your post, what I imagined was the children in costumes doing a little play–but that might be far from what happened.

It would be fine if the youth group distributed the various parts of the Passion Gospel among themselves. This is completely legitimate, and it’s one of the options given by the Church for the Passion Gospel on Palm Sunday and Good Friday. The only requirement is that the part of Christ be reserved to the main celebrant. This is the one time when the Gospel at Mass need not be proclaimed by a deacon or priest in the usual way.

There are no rubrics on how the parts are broken-up. The missallettes give an example, but it’s just that–an example.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top