Two Quick Questions on Mary

  • Thread starter Thread starter captainmike
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

captainmike

Guest
  1. When we pray to her, is it right to end the prayer “in Jesus’ name,” as we do when we pray to the Father?
  2. If all we’re asking her to do is intercede for us with the Father, is it right to ask her to “protect us,” “put a shield around us,” etc.? Does she really have the power to do the latter things?
thanks
 
  1. I would not end with ‘in Jesus’ name’ because i believe that originated with the Gospel passage where Jesus said, “Whatsoever you ask the Father in my name . . .” Since you are not asking the Father, but petitioning Our Lady for an intercession, it makes no sense and might seem idolatrous.
  2. Our Lady dispenses the graces of God. I see asking for her protection as asking for the grace not to fall into sin or to intercede for angels to be sent to protect us from temptation. She can do these things because God gives her the power to dispense grace and intercede. The protection ultimately comes from God, like the grace, but we can ask Mary to use her God-given abilities for our protection. In the Memorare, we make reference to her protection. She is our mother and will do what she can.👍
 
When I pray for the intercession of the Blessed Mother, or any saint, I always try to end the prayer with something like “I ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

When praying for intercession, I also always try to ask Mary or the saints to pray to Jesus for me, or to petition Jesus for such and such, or to intercede on my behalf…e.g., “Dear Mary, please pray to Jesus that my wife and baby remain healthy” instead of “Dear Mary, please keep my wife and baby healthy.”

I always to try to make it a point thought to thank Mary or saints directly for their intercessions.
 
  1. I think it’s alright, tho i like to change it up sometimes and say “I pray this with the aid of the Holy Spirit”, or if i’m talking to God, “with the aid of Your Most Holy Spirit”.
  2. Yes, it is good to ask her to protect us. She is our mother, and just as our biological mother might, when we were young, put herself physically in between you and a bully, or your brother :-P, or pull you away from a staircase, our spiritual mother can also put herself in between us and any demons that may attack us. Similarly, our big brothers and sisters, ie, the Saints can do similar things.
 
As Catholics, we typically begin and end ALL our prayers with:

"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."
I would think that would about cover it. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top