C
CelticWarlord
Guest
Of course, my friend. I offer only commentary, not dogma.Okay remembering your comments are your opinions
Of course, my friend. I offer only commentary, not dogma.Okay remembering your comments are your opinions
Lots of people say this. And I agree, but only half-heartedly. What else could Jesus have meant when he said “better for you to have not been born”? I don’t think that’s a good description of heaven.Accordingly we can’t declare with utter certitude that anyone - even Judas,
We’ll have to ask Bishop Barron about this one.What else could Jesus have meant when he said “better for you to have not been born”?
God gives us free will, to choose Him or not to choose Him. Judas made choices just as we make choices. Our choices have consequences here and in eternity. Judas apparently made other choices that were not in line with the Ten Commandments that reveal to us a little about his character: John 12:6 - Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor? Now he said this, not because he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and having the purse, carried the things that were put thereinBut I will say that I sympathize completely with Judas’ plight. He only did what he was supposed to do. Jesus, supposedly, had to suffer and die to fulfill this plan, so why condemn the catalyst toward that?
Interesting that he doesn’t say “conceived”. Perhaps it could be said of all of us that it would have been better if we had died in innocence rather than having sinned against God, even though we can be forgiven for those sins.What else could Jesus have meant when he said “better for you to have not been born”? I don’t think that’s a good description of heaven.
I don’t think the Greek word makes a distinction. The same word is used for conception, for example in the passage “do not fear to take Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.”Interesting that he doesn’t say “conceived”.
Yes, I see what you mean. It is a very interesting topic and I hope to carry on with it when I get home from work this afternoon.Judas apparently made other choices that were not in line
It think that there is logic in saying each person COULD be saved. But we cannot say All are saved or even all COULD be saved. Because, Jesus and scripture goes directly against that . God has indeed offered each soul salvation. And He wills it. But he also is quite clear that many will not be saved and many have not been saved.There is a logic to the possibility of all being saved–God does offer all the means of salvation and (antecedently) desires all to be saved. Therefore it is certainly possible for all to be saved. Likewise, the Church is missionary in order to seek to save each and every soul.
However, we also have the predictive words of Christ, such as “Many are called, few are chosen”, etc. In other words, not all who are called (and, in fact, all are called) are chosen.
Matthew 26:24 (NIV)The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.
Join the club, my friend.I certainly am not knowledgeable enough to provide a cohesive answer to that point
I suppose, technically yes. But again the context is clear. I mean if it were literally better for everyone to have not been born, then God created a sub-par world. God doesn’t make mistakes. So it makes more sense that in Judas’ circumstances he’d be better off not born. But not necessarily anyone else.Just to add to the conversation, does not every person who sins betray the Son of Man? Not a statement, just a question.