Typology Book Suggestions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter novusCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

novusCatholic

Guest
I’m interested in learning more about Typology. A couple of examples helped me to better understand Catholic teaching as I was going through RCIA.

I would like to find a good book on the subject - preferrably one that explores multiple types.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
 
I’d try some internet searches first.

I’m sure there’s a book on this subject out there someplace, but, you might find what you want quicker with some searches.

Lower your expectations about finding a single exhaustive volume on this subject.

I think that it is in Pope Benedict’s second volume of Jesus of Nazareth that he show the correspondence between the Old Testament Day of Atonement and the day of Jesus’s death on the cross.

He also shows (someplace) the similarity between Adam’s “deep sleep” in Genesis and Jesus’s death on the cross.

I don’t know if these examples meet the criterion for being “types” but there is certainly a lot of meaning in them.

Dr. Brant Pitre’s recent volume on the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist, along with Benedict’s books, show the relationship and fulfillment of the “bread from heaven” in the Book of Exodus and Jesus’s feeding of the 5,000 and the Eucharist itself as the bread from Heaven.

I have found what I would casually call a lot of typology, where the OT presages the NT.

But, I haven’t found it all in one book.
 
The book I most appreciate on this topic is Jean Danielou’s “From Shadows to Reality; Studies in the Biblical Typology of the Fathers.” As Father Danielou mentions in his book (as as the peceeding poster here also remarks), there is no comprehensive study on types used in the Bible. You also could consider checking articles in religious reference works, as the New Catholic Encyclopedia and the Jerome Biblical Commentary, if you think such articles could help.
 
Thanks for the suggestions.

Hopefully someone will work up a good overall study some day. I think that it’s a very interesting topic that could help people relate the Old and New Testaments and better see the Bible as a whole. As I mentioned before, it could also be useful in helping one to better understand Catholic teaching, some of which is rich in pre-figuring.

Thanks again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top