U.S. Army disorganized?

• Thread starter Thread starter sarcophagus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sarcophagus

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=6&u=/ap/20041206/ap_on_re_us/tillman_friendly_fire

I read about this and had to shake my head. It seems that during any war that the american army is in, since vietnem, a lot of the casualties are inflicted as “friendly fire”. I’m sorry, but this is not “friendly”. They have to give it another name. Something like “mistaken identity fire” or something. I remember when Canada went to Afghanistan. Out of all the personnel that died, a huge majority was from American Friendly Fire. This leads me to believe that the american army is disorganized. If they want to win this war and any others, they have to stop killing each other.

Jumping from Tillman’s death and casualties based on friendly fire to your conclusion that the U.S. Army is disorganized is not logical. The U.S. military has a myriad ways to reduce friendly fire casualties–communications equipment, training, and so on. But like combat deaths, friendly fire is an unfortunate outcome of war that can be minimized but never completely eliminated. Combat is not pretty. Finally, the account I read of Tillman’s death noted that he and his comrades found themselves in a valley where the mountains blocked their radio communications.

You go into the chaos of conflict and see what happens. Friendly fire has been a cause of casualties since mankind has learn to pick up rocks and throw them at each other. The Army is working on weapons that will reduce friendly fire, but nothing is foolproof.

Compared to previous wars, we have had a lot less friendly fire incidents recently. We have thrown a lot of technology at it and our current army is more networked than any other army in the history of man kind.

This really is not an area we should bash the Army on, they have made exceptional progress here.

Look, I understand that friendly fire is an unfortunate part of war…but why does it happen so much? It doesn’t have to.

For example, in afghanistan, the Canadian troops were training when american plane dropped bombs on them because they thought they were afghani rebels. Where was the radio and surveilance and the special maps. The americans should’ve known that they were there in the first place since they had been there since they came to afghanistan. That’s my point. This special equipment doesn’t seem to work.

It was just a rant…don’t bite my head off for my thoughts. I linked Tillman’s death with that of anyone who died from friendly fire because it happens too much.

40.png
Scott_Lafrance:
You go into the chaos of conflict and see what happens. Friendly fire has been a cause of casualties since mankind has learn to pick up rocks and throw them at each other. The Army is working on weapons that will reduce friendly fire, but nothing is foolproof.
Reporters were not allowed to report on “friendly fire” casualties in WWI, WWII and Korea, and probably most wars before that. They were just considered to be “what happens” when when you give frightened men rifles. They shoot at anything that moves to avoid being shot at.

And artillery men and bombardiers didn’t all get A’s in mathematics. They miss sometimes.

Stonewall Jackson, possibly the South’s greatest general, was killed by friendly fire. His death was a major defeat for the South.

40.png
sarcophagus:
Look, I understand that friendly fire is an unfortunate part of war…but why does it happen so much? It doesn’t have to.

For example, in afghanistan, the Canadian troops were training when american plane dropped bombs on them because they thought they were afghani rebels. Where was the radio and surveilance and the special maps. The americans should’ve known that they were there in the first place since they had been there since they came to afghanistan. That’s my point. This special equipment doesn’t seem to work.

It was just a rant…don’t bite my head off for my thoughts. I linked Tillman’s death with that of anyone who died from friendly fire because it happens too much.
I take it you have never been in a battle. They call it the ‘fog of war’ because things happen fast and loose, and there is someone out there, someplace, trying to kill you or your buddy. There are very high stakes being played and when you make a mistake, sometimes people die. But humans always make mistakes.

40.png
sarcophagus:
Next time, tell us it is just a rant, and we’ll ignore you! And let your rant in peace.

Seriously, anyone who read the reports about Tillman’s death had to have felt troubled and saddened by the most unfortunate circumstances of his death. But his death is just as horrible as any soldier’s death in battle. Every soldier is a child of God and his death is a loss to a family who loved him. As were those who died on September 11th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back