U.S. Capital Evacuated!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tyler_Smedley
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tyler_Smedley

Guest
White House, Capitol Briefly Evacuated

WASHINGTON — The nation’s capital was given the green light Wednesday afternoon about one hour after a small airplane violated restricted airspace over the city, forcing the rapid evacuation of the White House, the U.S. Capitol Building (search) and the Supreme Court around noontime.

Two F-16 military jets scrambled over to Washington from Andrews Air Force Base just outside the city in Maryland. The jet pilots met the plane, which came within four miles of the U.S. Capitol and three miles of the White House, and escorted it out of the Air Defense Identification Zone to Frederick, Md., about 50 minutes northwest of the city. The jets then returned to the air base.

The Pentagon was not evacuated and the mood there was described as “business as usual.” However, North American Aerospace Air Defense (search), which operates in part out of the Pentagon, coordinated with air and Homeland Security officials.

Police in Washington shouted at lawmakers, staff members, media and tourists to run from the buildings. About 20 minutes later, the evacuations were cancelled.

The pilot, who was said to have entered the restricted space then exited and re-entered before being warned out of the area with four flares, was ordered to touch down in Frederick.

The plane, a small two-seat, high-wing Cessna 150 (search), was apparently flying from Smoketown, Pa., near Lancaster, according to Homeland Security (search) officials. The pilot is in custody and federal and Maryland state law enforcement officials were considering charges against him.

President Bush was not at the White House at the time of the evacuation. He was taking part in a bike ride at Patuxent Wildlife Refuge outside the city. The president headed back to the White House after his motorcade was cleared for return.

First lady Laura Bush and visiting guest Nancy Reagan, the former first lady, were at the White House and taken to a secure location there.

Also at the White House, press were informed about the evacuation after a Secret Service agent stuck his head into the briefing room and screamed, “Get out! Evacuate!” A reporter than passed on the message.

An alert that was supposed to go out over the public announcement system did not happen, according to FOX News White House reporters. However, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said that an alarm was sounded.

Many reporters who started to run out of the briefing room were told by Secret Service uniformed officers to get back into the building and get downstairs. Moments later they started shouting again, “Get out of here! Out! Off the grounds!”

Not everyone found out about the evacuation, though, and not everyone got out of the White House, according to FOX News’ reporters. Many press members were left in the basement and in other areas of the White House.

McClellan said even if the situation appeared confused, Secret Service evacuated the building as soon as the threat level went to orange from yellow at 12:01 p.m. EDT when the plane was 10 miles from the White House. At 12:03 p.m., the alert level went to red, at which time the plane was about three miles from the White House. The alert level went back down to yellow at 12:11 p.m. when the plane was flying away from the city with a jet escort. The Secret Service alert system uses the same color codes as the one used by the Department of Homeland Security, but the system predates the one created by DHS, McClellan said.

“Security precaution protocols were followed in this instance,” McClellan said. “We are grateful for the job the Secret Service does” as well as the other security officials who helped move people to more secure locations, he said.

Asked whether the evacuation demonstrated to terrorists how vulnerable Washington, D.C., still is to attack, McClellan said: “We have to remember that we are a nation at war and there are still people who seek to do harm to the United States and who seek to carry out attacks against the United States.”

At the Capitol, Majority Leader Bill Frist and Minority Leader Harry Reid both went to the floor of the Senate to praise the performance of U.S. Capitol Police, who also yelled at people: “Run, this is not a drill.”

full story here:

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156217,00.html
 
This type of thing has happened before, even before terrorism was ever much of a concern in this country. Unfortunately, not all pilots educate themselves properly about the location of Restricted and Prohibited areas (the boundaries can change; you have to keep your knowledge up to date). Add to that some possibly sloppy navigation and inadequate weather information (wind direction and speed), and Bingo! You have an incursion. Of course, this guy may have been up to no good. And the government has to be prepared, in any event.
 
My first thought was, “A Cessna 150? Would terrorists try to use something a bit more dangerous than a tricycle with wings?”. I think the government did what they had to do, but it is likely that it was a novice pilot (Cessna 150s are used quite often as training aircraft) who didn’t know what he was doing. I hope they go easy on him.

One other question…how did F-16s manage to slow down enough to escort the aircraft out of restricted space?
 
Tyler Smedley:
Who knows? 😛 prehaps they just turned the engines off?
It reminded me of a Simpsons episode where they steal the Wright Brother’s airplane. The Air Force pilots radio back to base saying they can’t keep up pursuit because the craft is going too slow, and suggest they pursue on foot. :rotfl:
 
Dr. Colossus:
One other question…how did F-16s manage to slow down enough to escort the aircraft out of restricted space?
I read that 4 warning shots were fired at this aircraft. Maybe that got his attention.

Anyways, with that said, I am curious. Why didn’t the pilot radio back the FAA when they warned him that he was going into restricted airspace? I am not an expert or have any knowledge of aviation, but if I think I was lost, and heard radio from FAA to get out, I would think I have the equipment to radio back and tell them “Oops, sorry, I am lost…” or something of that sort.
 
40.png
CinciMom:
Anyways, with that said, I am curious. Why didn’t the pilot radio back the FAA when they warned him that he was going into restricted airspace? I am not an expert or have any knowledge of aviation, but if I think I was lost, and heard radio from FAA to get out, I would think I have the equipment to radio back and tell them “Oops, sorry, I am lost…” or something of that sort.
It could be he had radio failure, or the message that came through was too garbled. Or he wasn’t monitoring the correct frequency. Or any frequency ( :eek: shame on him if that was the case).

In any event, flying through a Prohibited Area is serious; he’s not going to get off just by saying “Sorry, I was lost”. Pilots are supposed to prepare themselves with all the information needed to conduct a flight legally and safely, and it is assumed that they will do so. I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes.
 
40.png
CarolAnnSFO:
It could be he had radio failure, or the message that came through was too garbled. Or he wasn’t monitoring the correct frequency. Or any frequency ( :eek: shame on him if that was the case).
If I’m not mistaken, military radios such as those on F-16s use UHF frequencies, while civilian radios use VHF. Even still, I would think that a controller on the ground should have been able to raise him.
In any event, flying through a Prohibited Area is serious; he’s not going to get off just by saying “Sorry, I was lost”. Pilots are supposed to prepare themselves with all the information needed to conduct a flight legally and safely, and it is assumed that they will do so. I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes.
Me neither. Incursions are a hot topic right now in the aviation world, because for reasons that haven’t been completely explained they are on the rise. The FAA may choose to make an example of him.
 
All I have to say is that I can’t wait until I move out of this neighborhood (right by US Capitol)
 
40.png
CinciMom:
I read that 4 warning shots were fired at this aircraft. Maybe that got his attention.

Anyways, with that said, I am curious. Why didn’t the pilot radio back the FAA when they warned him that he was going into restricted airspace? I am not an expert or have any knowledge of aviation, but if I think I was lost, and heard radio from FAA to get out, I would think I have the equipment to radio back and tell them “Oops, sorry, I am lost…” or something of that sort.
Probably why they were freaking out…
 
The complete article says that no federal charges will be filed against the flight instructor and student pilot, but no doubt they will not be treated as kindly by the FAA.

Over the years trainers such as the Cessna 150 have crashed, sometimes into homes. The usual result is a destroyed plane and a pierced wall or roof; the plane just isn’t big enough to take out a house, unless the crash results in a fire. Similar planes have flown into the sides of skyscrapers, with a few offices being destroyed but the buildings’ intregrity remaining uncompromised.

Although small planes are not supposed to fly near certain areas of Washington, D.C., they can’t do much damage to big federal buildings. That can’t be said of the commercial jets that land at National Airport, just across the Potomac. We already have seen what can happen if one of those plows into a building.
 
Dr. Colossus:
My first thought was, “A Cessna 150? Would terrorists try to use something a bit more dangerous than a tricycle with wings?”
One doesn’t enter a 150, one straps it on.

It’s not really an airplane until it’s at least the size of a 172 - (my favorite until I gave up flying because of the cost.)
 
Tyler Smedley:
Who knows? 😛 prehaps they just turned the engines off?
Surely if they’d turned their engines off they would have been up there all day!!!😃
 
40.png
Richardols:
One doesn’t enter a 150, one straps it on.
I agree. Mercifully, I only had a couple of hours in a 150; I learned in Cherokee 140’s and 180’s. That 150 was a really tight squeeze!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top