UK Addresses Growth of Muslim Schools

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

The growth of Muslim faith schools must not be allowed to undermine the coherence of British society, the head of Ofsted warned today.

A traditional Islamic education “does not entirely fit” Muslim children for life in modern Britain, Chief Inspector of Schools David Bell said.

While diversity is potentially a great strength, Mr Bell suggested that it could also pose a threat to “our coherence as a nation” if taken too far.

In a speech to the Hansard Society in central London, Mr Bell acknowledged that the issues he was raising were “tricky”.
But he stressed: "Faith should not be blind.

“I worry that many young people are being educated in faith-based schools, with little appreciation of their wider responsibilities and obligations to British society,” he said.

"Britain’s diversity has the potential to be one of its greatest strengths.

"But diverse does not need to mean completely different and it certainly must not mean segregated or separate.
“Religious segregation in schools, for example, must not put our coherence at risk.”

education.independent.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=601629

This is the one thing that really scares me off school vouchers in this country. I was for them and then I heard that the Arab nations tend to stint on education and let private Wahhabi Muslim schools handle it, hence all these future terrorists being indoctrinated in jihad. If we encourage more private schools here through vouchers, we would be playing right into their hands. There’s no way we could encourage Catholic schools but prevent Muslim schools from multiplying. Make me want to cling to public ed for now…

One reason why we need Catholic maintained schools, clever ploy this, sow weeds among the flowers, then at harvest time, pull the flowers out along with the weeds.

I think we need to seriously think about where we send our children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back