UK "Covid-19: Do not resuscitate orders may have been used without consent"

• Thread starter Thread starter IanM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article it sounds like the DNARs [or what we refer to as DNRs] were not requested or decided by the patient but by their caregivers or the government …
One carer told the CQC an on-call doctor had informed care home staff that if a resident were to catch Covid-19, a DNAR would automatically be put in place.

Another witness said some care homes and learning disability services had been told by GPs to place blanket orders on everyone in their care.
That does not sound like the appropriate decision maker in my opinion … I know our doctor has pushed them - but it is our decisions … one issue/concern I have with them - is once signed - it directs a certain lack of action … but I always fall back on - “what are the circumstances of the need?”

Were you just given a terminal cancer diagnosis?
Have you been ill a long time, with many health issues?
Did this need for resuscitation come out of the blue - with no pre-existing reason?

There are lots of unknowns and the younger they get you to sign one - the more questions there could be at the time about the when, whether, or should you be resuscitated…

This is one reason to not allow government total control for providing medical care I would think

Last edited:
This is one reason to not allow government total control for providing medical care I would think
Government doesn’t have total control over providing medical care in the UK.

From the article:
Do not attempt resuscitation (DNAR) decisions may have been used inappropriately when care services were under extreme pressure, it found.
In other words, it may have happened (definitely a bad thing if it did) in the horrifying circumstances of the time (which makes it explicable but not acceptable).

Even a long-time critic of the NHS like me finds it difficult to become too scandalized, though.

In the US, although they didn’t issue a blanket DNR order, in a lot of hospitals, staff were told that if a patient crashed, to be sure to suit up with full PPE before entering the room for resuscitation.

So yes, there would be a delay to rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back