P
peary1
Guest
I know exactly what the poster was referring to because I experienced it myself. I thought I was attending Mass and it turned out to be a Communion liturgy - ok, I can accept that with no problem. But one of the nuns came out wearing the alb, a chausable and whatever, it seemed, she could get her hands on before coming out to the sanctuary. Not only did she kiss the altar, she gave a quick penitential rite, she also stood at the podium used by the priest to read the gospel and gave out communion. I was really turned off by this, and decided never to go back to such a service. We have six priests in our parish, and it seems quite absurd not to have daily Mass where at least one of them can celebrate it.It’s been long established by Rome (I believe the relevant provision is in the Code of Canon Law) that ANY layperson may vest in an alb, for any reason or no reason. The alb is NOT restricted to ordained persons but is permitted to all the baptised faithful, so no-one is acting like a priest in wearing one. You’re thinking of the cassock, a different garment altogether.
And the order for Sunday Celebrations in the Absence of a Priest certainly allows for whichever person is leading the Celebration - who in the absence of a deacon can legitimately be a layman or lay woman - to read the Gospel of the relevant Sunday.
Certainly a lay leader is not to sit in the presider’s chair, nor to give a homily, nor to recite the Eucharistic prayer, nor to give blessings in the manner of a priest (and there’s no indication that the leader in the OP’s case was ‘acting like a priest’ in any of these forbidden ways). However, the Gospel is an integral part of such services and won’t be omitted should a deacon not be present to read it, but rather read by a layperson.
Remember these Sunday Celebrations are NOT Masses, and not being Masses it poses no problems whatsoever that the Gospel be read by a layperson, any more than any other non-Mass prayer service containing Gospel readings would be problematic if such readings were done by laypeople. It’s not like there was a priest available to read it, nor presumably a deacon either.