B
Bill_Legare
Guest
Simple question … If it would take one hour to get to the closest church any Sunday when I’m 300 miles away from home (6-7 weekends each year) would attending mass when arriving back home on Monday be accepted?
For me I would not find an hour to be much of a problem…some walk very long periods in other countries…to get to Mass…Simple question … If it would take one hour to get to the closest church any Sunday when I’m 300 miles away from home (6-7 weekends each year) would attending mass when arriving back home on Monday be accepted?
Sunday is a holy day of obligation and so the obligation is to assist at a Sunday Mass, which may also occur on Sat. evening. Your priest is the one to ask whether the circumstance you are describing would dispense you of the obligation.Simple question … If it would take one hour to get to the closest church any Sunday when I’m 300 miles away from home (6-7 weekends each year) would attending mass when arriving back home on Monday be accepted?
One hour is not a particularly long drive to get to Mass, and, no, it would not be acceptable to just go to Mass on Monday instead.Simple question … If it would take one hour to get to the closest church any Sunday when I’m 300 miles away from home (6-7 weekends each year) would attending mass when arriving back home on Monday be accepted?
It’s not lack of devotion that the problem but lack of punctuation.I think we may be misundertstanding the OP. It seems to me that on ordinary Sundays, he drives one hour to get to Mass. Six or seven times a year, he is even further away, 300 miles. And his question is whether he may substitute Mass on Monday for the Sunday when he’s 300 miles away on Sunday. Driving at 60 mph, it would take him five hours to get to Mass, and five hours back, making ten hours on the road, which is more than anyone would consider reasonable to insist upon, I’m sure.
If that is indeed the case, it would seem he has no obligation on the Sundays when he’s 300 miles away because of the great distance he would have to travel. If he wants to make the extra effort to attend daily mass on Monday or any other weekday, that’s great, but it does not substitute for Sunday. As said before, at that distance he has no obligation for Sunday. Either one has an obligation (and there can be no substitute for it) or he does not. It appears the OP does not. He could confirm this with his pastor if he wishes for his own peace of mind.
Let’s not jump on him for a lack of devotion before we’ve done the math.
OP says he’s 300 miles from home on those days, not 300 miles for a church.If you are genuinely 300 miles away from the nearest Catholic Church even if it is only a few weekends in the year ] then I’m sure that your priest will remit the obligation to attend Mass.
If it would take one hour to get to the closest church any Sunday when I’m 300 miles away from home
Nope…he is asking about when he will be 300 miles away from home…and thus he will be an hour from Mass on a few Sundays…I think we may be misundertstanding the OP. It seems to me that on ordinary Sundays, he drives one hour to get to Mass. Six or seven times a year, he is even further away, 300 miles.
Oops.Nope…he is asking about when he will be 300 miles away from home…and thus he will be an hour from Mass on a few Sundays…
That’s the way I read it.Nope…he is asking about when he will be 300 miles away from home…and thus he will be an hour from Mass on a few Sundays…
**I traveled this year and somehow found churches along the way…Alaska where I was the toughest but I did it…only on a cruise and it wasn’t available and we were at sea…but everywhere else I went to Mass…One hour is not a particularly long drive to get to Mass, and, no, it would not be acceptable to just go to Mass on Monday instead.
If it is truly impossible to get to Mass on Sunday, then speak to your priest and ask for a dispensation. He may suggest that you attend Mass on another day, but that is not something you can decide for yourself.
One year, when I had to work for 2 - 3 weeks at a time in Tobago, West Indies, I drove for one hour and fifteen minutes to get to Mass. I did not find it particularly difficult. I played spiritual music on the cd player and also said the Rosary during the drive. The effort needed to fulfill my Sunday obligation made the day special.
I think it is best to ask your pastor about this. On the one hand, it sounds to me like it would be a hardship for you to get to Mass on those Sundays. But then I have too many questions like: Are you on vacation for six consecutive Sundays? Is it a difficult task to ride the snowmobile to get to the truck but not such a difficult task when riding it otherwise? Is it a problem getting enough fuel for your vehicles? Speak to your pastor. It is possible that you may get dispensation from attending Sunday Mass, but there is no making up for it by going to Mass on Monday. It would just be nice to do the extra.Durn thing said I wasn’t logged in … so let me try it one more time –
300 miles away from home to a camp out in the middle of the woods – half dozen times a year, only in the winter.
Nearest church from the camp is 1 hour away, which includes having to ride on a snowmobile to get to where my truck is. That means get dressed in snowmobile gear, ride to truck, remove helmets, ride to church and walk in all decked out in gear AND with ‘helmet hair’.
No electricity, plumbing, or showers at the camp. For a half-dozen times a year, I would HOPE it would be acceptable to attend mass on Monday, once we’re back in civilization.
The answer to the OP’s is No. And the answer is No because Monday does not substitue for Sunday. Never. For no reason whatsoever.Simple question … If it would take one hour to get to the closest church any Sunday when I’m 300 miles away from home (6-7 weekends each year) would attending mass when arriving back home on Monday be accepted?