Unable to receive the Eucharist

  • Thread starter Thread starter lindaloulee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lindaloulee

Guest
My name is Linda Lou Lee and Catholicism is the only true faith for me. I returned to the Church in the 1990’s after a long spiritual dry spell. I recently married after receiving an anullment from my previous marriage. However, my husband has not received his anullment so we are not considered married. We made the decision to go ahead and marry due to difficult circumstances. However, the hardest part is being separated from the Eucharist.
My husband and I were both Eucharistic ministers and active in the Church. Now we are unable to fully participate and I feel as though we are being punished by the Church.
We have written the Tribunal to see if there are any questions we can answer, but received no reply.

Is there anyone else in this same situation?
 
I have ben in a similiar situation. You are not alone! I was married civally to my husband for 20 years and returned to the church and found my faith. I understand how difficult it is for you. The one thing that helped me is one night I was feeling that maybe I was just not worthy enough to receive the Eucharist and was just feeling very frustrated about going to church week after week and not being able to recieve. Then, after some soul searching I came to the realization that I needed to take this time to really get closer to God and my faith. I actually know now that He has a plan for all of us and I have now deepened my faith and after five months of not recieving the Eucharist, my convalidation will be happening in several weeks:)

What I am trying to say is… Take this time to really grow closer to God and deepen your faith. It will make the moment you are able to receive even that much more meaningful!
 
I know a family in this situation. It’s sad because they made a decision with really thinking about the consequences. Now, it’s five years layer ad the annulment has yet to be granted and neither of them can receive the Eucharist.

The main problem is that it’s impossible to find a reason to approve their annulment because their wedding was valid. Annulments are given out too freely. They are supposed to be an acknowledgment if a wedding that never was. Not a get out of marriage free card.

I understand the feeling of separation that you are struggling with. Please don’t feel like you are being punished. You and your husband made the adult decision to get “married” while he is married to another person. You chose a hard path but it was not forced upon you. I’ll be praying that you are able to be received fully into the Church and that your wedding will be blessed.
 
My name is Linda Lou Lee and Catholicism is the only true faith for me. I returned to the Church in the 1990’s after a long spiritual dry spell. I recently married after receiving an anullment from my previous marriage. However, my husband has not received his anullment so we are not considered married. We made the decision to go ahead and marry due to difficult circumstances. However, the hardest part is being separated from the Eucharist.
My husband and I were both Eucharistic ministers and active in the Church. Now we are unable to fully participate and I feel as though we are being punished by the Church.
We have written the Tribunal to see if there are any questions we can answer, but received no reply.

Is there anyone else in this same situation?
There is a way you could receive Communion, but you may find it too difficult. Of course the best thing you could have done as faithful Catholics, was to hold off on marrying until the annulment came through. Again, the annulment may never come through. Another solution could be to live together as sister and brother. A priest in the confessional could approve your living together under those conditions. However, as I stated before, you may find this too difficult. You’d need to test your allegiance to God rather than man, to make this happen. Good luck and God bless.
 
Your honesty and desire to be with God should be awarded not restricted. I accept this but disagree that simple annullment paperwork bars your full participation.

I know so many Catholics that never go to confession , live together before being married, use contraception, even divorce with no annullment yet still receive communion.

But keep up the good fight and know God wants be be with you.
 
It is a difficult situation and your honesty should be applauded as the above poster said. I apologize for the poster that blasted you. There is a support group on the forum with others in your situation and others that are going through the process. Also the brother sister option is an option. Good luck and God bless.
 
I’m not able to identify which post was “blasting,” although one or two were honestly critical. Lindaloulee, it is admirable that you are being so honest and especially that you obviously desire union with God - one that is right now being frustrated by your circumstance. But I think it is important to remind you - the great sadness of not being able to partake of the Eucharist is NOT the main problem.

Remember the reason why you are not able to receive. It is because morally speaking, your husband’s first marriage is presumed to be the valid one, and yours is not. Unfortunately, this means that if you are having a physical relationship, then you and he are committing adultery, which is a grave sin. Of course, in this case, it is probably difficult to look at this particular sin and see a victim, like you do with sins of violence. But the reality is that serious sins separate us from God, often completely. Because sin is not just about being good to other people, but it is also hurting our relationship with God, and committing mortal sin effectively destroys that relationship. I don’t mean to use the word “hell” because I want to be judgemental. But the Church teaches us that a person who dies in a state of mortal sin risks going to hell.

So while not being able to receive the Eucharist is certainly troubling, it is not the end game. Lack of unity with the Eucharist is really just a sign, a foreshadowing, or a warning even, of the complete separation from God that you risk if you should die in a state of mortal sin. Yes, a person can go through their life committing mortal sin after mortal sin, and abstaining from the Eucharist so as not to profane the sacrament. But what good will that do the person when they die? When they meet God face to face, and are held accountable for their life, is it good enough to say, “Yes Lord, I committed mortal sins repeatedly and without penance, but at least I didn’t receive communion.” ? In fact, it is a precept of the Church that Catholics receive communion once a year, so even that would be problematic. So that’s the crux of it - it is difficult not to receive holy communion, but eternal punishment is much, much worse than that. The Church’s rules are set up to reflect that, and to motivate us to return to His Will.

That said, I want to be clear - I am not judging your soul. I can not possibly know if your sins are mortal sins, and what fate you might have if you died tomorrow. That is God’s knowledge only. But I can tell you objectively about grave sins, and I know that if I were in a situation where my actions caused me to be separated from the Eucharist, I would be much more worried about my eternal union with God than about my union with Him at Mass. I would urge you to seek the counsel of your priest to help make things right. Whether it is to go ahead and get the annulment for your husband (if it is possible), or whether it is to talk to your priest about living as brother and sister, or whether there is another answer, I don’t know. But I know that there is always another option than being separated from God. I will pray for you that this is resolved in the best way possible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top