B
Brywan
Guest
I am having difficulty understanding and explaining the teaching of the Catholic Church regarding the Eucharistic sacrifice:
“,the same Christ who offered himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and is offered in an unbloody manner.” (CCC 1367)
Specifically, if it is “one single sacrifice”–if it is the same sacrifice, made present in space and time on the altar–why is it described as “unbloody?”
And how does this “unbloody” sacrifice tie in with the teaching that the body and **blood **of Christ are substantially present in the Eucharist?
More specifically–and more to the point–Protestants challenge this teaching by quoting Hebrews 9:22: “without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sins.” They contend that if the Eucharistic sacrifice is “unbloody” then it is not the same sacrifice as the sacrifice of Christ–and thus would not be efficacious for the atonement of sin.
I have a feeling that the word used, “unbloody manner,” may be the key to what I’m trying to understand but I need a little illumination.
If this has been discussed in another thread, save yourself some time and just direct me to that thread— Thanks for your help!!!
“,the same Christ who offered himself once in a bloody manner on the altar of the cross is contained and is offered in an unbloody manner.” (CCC 1367)
Specifically, if it is “one single sacrifice”–if it is the same sacrifice, made present in space and time on the altar–why is it described as “unbloody?”
And how does this “unbloody” sacrifice tie in with the teaching that the body and **blood **of Christ are substantially present in the Eucharist?
More specifically–and more to the point–Protestants challenge this teaching by quoting Hebrews 9:22: “without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sins.” They contend that if the Eucharistic sacrifice is “unbloody” then it is not the same sacrifice as the sacrifice of Christ–and thus would not be efficacious for the atonement of sin.
I have a feeling that the word used, “unbloody manner,” may be the key to what I’m trying to understand but I need a little illumination.
If this has been discussed in another thread, save yourself some time and just direct me to that thread— Thanks for your help!!!