A
Agrazing_Mace
Guest
In the last two years, in an intense pursuit of a better understanding of my faith, I have become an avid reader of Catholic literature- primarily apologetics and more recently, the history of The Church. Too many times I have seen the phrase “unbroken line of apostolic succession” in discussions and writings relating to our very rich Catholic Tradition.
This made me a bit curious, so I looked-up the list of popes on the New Advent website. In a simple glance through the chain, I saw six noticeable gaps. It has been eating at me to know the “whys” behind them. If anyone with a more thorough knowledge of history could answer, please clue-me-in to the following:
This made me a bit curious, so I looked-up the list of popes on the New Advent website. In a simple glance through the chain, I saw six noticeable gaps. It has been eating at me to know the “whys” behind them. If anyone with a more thorough knowledge of history could answer, please clue-me-in to the following:
- year 304 - 308 … gap between #29 (St. Marcellinus) and #30 (St. Marcellus I).
- year 1241 -1243 … gap between #180 (Celestine IV) and #181 (Innocent IV).
- year 1268 - 1271 … gap between #184 (Clement IV) and #185 (Blessed Gregory X).
- year 1292 - 1294 … gap between #192 (Nicholas IV) and #193 (St. Celestine V).
- year 1314 - 1316 … gap between #196 (Clement V) and #197 (John XXII).
- year 1415 - 1417 … gap between #206 (Gregory XII) and #207 (Martin V).