Uncharitable comment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jmj777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant it in similar terms of the bumper sticker that reads “You can’t be both Catholic AND pro-choice.” More like if one chooses to not accept certain teachings required by the Church, that he falls more in line with liberalism or Protestant religion where you are free to believe what you want to believe and reject what you don’t agree with; Private interpretation or being a “cafeteria Catholic.”

The Catholic Church requires that we believe ALL of the Church’s teachings. Anything less would be “not in full communion with the Church.”

Peace.

+JMJ+
This is how I understood it when I was reading about the Catholic Church and Her beliefs. I really prayed hard about converting as I wanted to genuinely understand and believe all that the Church professed. The Lord answered my prayers, I got answers and this year will mark 17 years as a Catholic. 👍
 
Ultimately we need only to charitably present the truths the Church teaches and allow the Holy Spirit to do His job. Everything else is above my pay grade (as they say).

Will the people you speak of change? Who knows; but you might go to your pastor and recount what is going on as he may want to get with your parish DRE to get someone better in there in a teacher/leadership position. (NOTE: Be prepared to be asked to take up that mantle. No use complaining if we are unwilling to step up.) 😃
 
Ultimately we need only to charitably present the truths the Church teaches and allow the Holy Spirit to do His job. Everything else is above my pay grade (as they say).

Will the people you speak of change? Who knows; but you might go to your pastor and recount what is going on as he may want to get with your parish DRE to get someone better in there in a teacher/leadership position. (NOTE: Be prepared to be asked to take up that mantle. No use complaining if we are unwilling to step up.) 😃
I have since reconciled with the fact that the Holy Spirit will make right the uncharitable comment I made to those women. He uses all things for good in the end.

As far as approaching our pastor, I would hate to seem critical of the religious formation in our parish. I also wouldn’t want to seem presumptuous either.

I really don’t know how I could make a difference other than to pray for them. I’m wondering if I should approach the ringleader and apologize for sounding uncharitable. Perhaps that will open up some dialogue? Or maybe make the situation worse if I stick my foot in my uncharitable mouth again.

Peace.

+JMJ+
 
I have since reconciled with the fact that the Holy Spirit will make right the uncharitable comment I made to those women. He uses all things for good in the end.

As far as approaching our pastor, I would hate to seem critical of the religious formation in our parish. I also wouldn’t want to seem presumptuous either.
You left out details that would help us understand your involvement with them. Is this a sanctioned group with a religious education coordinator, or is it just a bunch of ladies that decided to get together on their own to study the bible? You only identified this person as a “ringleader” which tells me she is self-appointed, and not an officially designated representative chosen to teach in the parish.

What comes to mind is Jesus’ guidance to His disciples about entering a house, and wishing it peace. If it is peaceful, your peace will rest on them, but if not, you will sense a disruption in your spirit. In that case, He told them to shake the dust.

Can you tell me what holds you as a member of a group that causes you much spiritual angst and where you are not being spiritually fed? I’m hearing you say that you want them to accept Church teachings, but it sounds like they are not ready to change their minds and listen to you. The adage, “don’t confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up.” We see this often here at CAF, and it is rare that someone who argues vehemently against articles of the faith are in the frame of mind to change their opinion. It blesses me whenever I encounter humility in a person who admits their error and gives thanks for opening their eyes, but it not an ordinary occurrence. And you’re dealing with 6 or 7 individuals of like mind.
 
I have since reconciled with the fact that the Holy Spirit will make right the uncharitable comment I made to those women. He uses all things for good in the end.

As far as approaching our pastor, I would hate to seem critical of the religious formation in our parish. I also wouldn’t want to seem presumptuous either.

I really don’t know how I could make a difference other than to pray for them. I’m wondering if I should approach the ringleader and apologize for sounding uncharitable. Perhaps that will open up some dialogue? Or maybe make the situation worse if I stick my foot in my uncharitable mouth again.

Peace.

+JMJ+
I think that would be a good idea. I think when one is zealous for the faith, it is easy to forget that there are others that might not be as interested or might not be as well informed etc and so. When one participates in Bible groups like this, you have to keep in mind that everyone there is not at the same level on their journey of faith. Of course this is Monday quarterbacking but I wonder if you said “well that’s too bad, I think we should all look at what the CCC says about purgatory. Maybe we should study why the Church might teach this and be open to changing our understanding”. In that way, you are redirecting the conversation back to looking at what the Church teaches instead of drawing lines in the sand with “you’re not Catholic” Sadly there are many other things to be concerned about with fellow Catholics such as the Eucharist than beliefs about purgatory. In a final thought, if one is zealous and well informed about the faith, prayer and Bible study groups might be a challenge because you do find out how poorly catechize Catholics are. If that is going to be a be challenge for you in trying to understand and help others in their faith then maybe your future participation needs to be looked at and prayed about.
 
I meant it in similar terms of the bumper sticker that reads “You can’t be both Catholic AND pro-choice.” More like if one chooses to not accept certain teachings required by the Church, that he falls more in line with liberalism or Protestant religion where you are free to believe what you want to believe and reject what you don’t agree with; Private interpretation or being a “cafeteria Catholic.”

The Catholic Church requires that we believe ALL of the Church’s teachings. Anything less would be “not in full communion with the Church.”

Peace.

+JMJ+
BBM. You know, it’s this idea of “you can’t be Catholic and believe X or Y” that kept me away from the church for a long time. I didn’t even contact RCIA because I was left thinking there was no point, as I didn’t believe in a lot of the teachings of the Catholic church.

I finally was encouraged to pursue baptism by a cradle Catholic, who told me that many people don’t believe in everything the church teaches, and that you don’t have to one hundred percent believe in the catechism to convert. And, I am so glad I did. Over time, my beliefs on certain things have changed, because people were open and accepting of me, placing the development of my faith above these sorts of rules about what things you have to believe, whether it’s abortion, or gay marriage, or contraception, etc. etc. I will be honest and state that I’m not entirely in line with the church’s teachings, but I have an open mind and I believe that people’s beliefs can evolve over time.

I don’t want to drag this too far off topic, but hard line statements such as “You can’t be Catholic and believe X,” are a great way to keep people away from the faith. It doesn’t encourage exploration, or teach, or show any sort of compassion or understanding for other viewpoints. Respect and dialogue are the way to teach people, not black letter statements of law. How many people are being kept from the church, or feeling pushed away, from sentiments like this?
 
I have since reconciled with the fact that the Holy Spirit will make right the uncharitable comment I made to those women. He uses all things for good in the end.

As far as approaching our pastor, I would hate to seem critical of the religious formation in our parish. I also wouldn’t want to seem presumptuous either.

I really don’t know how I could make a difference other than to pray for them. I’m wondering if I should approach the ringleader and apologize for sounding uncharitable. Perhaps that will open up some dialogue? Or maybe make the situation worse if I stick my foot in my uncharitable mouth again.

Peace.

+JMJ+
I have been in the same situations as you have a number of times. In one group there was a religious brother who was the leader. Whenever I said anything of substance everyone looked to the brother to confirm what I had said to see if he would disagree. I felt like I had no credibility except when he was not there. But that seems like a matter of lack of catechesis on the group’s part. In one instance an ex-sister talked about the ordination of woman and I gave the appropriate answers. Her face turned red and she was very angry that I did not agree with her. In another meeting with her I was explaining prayer and contemplation and she told everyone that what I was saying was bul*****. Knowing you are right is a blessing but everything must be tempered by love. I have walked in your shoes and have always wondered if I showed love in whatever I have said. I read the saints and always wonder how they would have acted and what they said. But I know that there are always other fields that need sewing and seeds to be scattered. Sometimes the seeds fall on barren ground but I always think that I can water and make things grow.
 
I read the saints and always wonder how they would have acted and what they said.
St. Faustina has always been helpful to me. In one instance, Our Lord warned her not to speak to a certain sister about either her views or her opinions. #1492 and 277.

In another instance (1164), Jesus told her, "My daughter, when I was before Herod, I obtained a grace for you; namely, that you would be able to rise above human scorn and follow faithfully in my footsteps. Be silent when they do not want to acknowledge your truth, because it is then that you speak more eloquently."

The bottom line is the discernment Jesus required of his disciples whenever they entered a house. If the people therein are receptive to them, peace will enter the house, but if they are not, their peace will return to them.

The OP will need to really pray for guidance, whereas, we are only hearing his perspective, and he alone will need to discern how best to proceed.
 
St. Faustina has always been helpful to me. In one instance, Our Lord warned her not to speak to a certain sister about either her views or her opinions. #1492 and 277.

In another instance (1164), Jesus told her, "My daughter, when I was before Herod, I obtained a grace for you; namely, that you would be able to rise above human scorn and follow faithfully in my footsteps. Be silent when they do not want to acknowledge your truth, because it is then that you speak more eloquently."

The bottom line is the discernment Jesus required of his disciples whenever they entered a house. If the people therein are receptive to them, peace will enter the house, but if they are not, their peace will return to them.

The OP will need to really pray for guidance, whereas, we are only hearing his perspective, and he alone will need to discern how best to proceed.
I agree. My spirituality is a combo of Carmelite and Ignatian.
 
I have since reconciled with the fact that the Holy Spirit will make right the uncharitable comment I made to those women. He uses all things for good in the end.

As far as approaching our pastor, I would hate to seem critical of the religious formation in our parish. I also wouldn’t want to seem presumptuous either.

I really don’t know how I could make a difference other than to pray for them. I’m wondering if I should approach the ringleader and apologize for sounding uncharitable. Perhaps that will open up some dialogue? Or maybe make the situation worse if I stick my foot in my uncharitable mouth again.

Peace.

+JMJ+
Don’t sell yourself short my friend. It has been my experience that sometimes less qualified people get these positions because no one else steps forward. God, in His grace, gives us all gifts and this is one way that we can use them …and He, us, for His kingdom.

I urge you to prayerfully speak to you Pastor and/or DRE and see if there’s a slot you can fill in their programs. Matthew Kelly says that only about 7% of parishioners do 100% of the work in most parishes.

Heck…worst case volunteer to moderate discussions on video series like Fr. Barron’s Catholicism or Dr. Edward Sri’s A Biblical Walk Through the Mass and watch what the Lord does with you…and your parish.

I really don’t think you were very much uncharitable at all, just forthright in the face of overwhelming numbers in opposition…and that takes guts (and as R Lee Ermie says in Full Metal Jacket) “and guts is enough.” I felt bad for a while after having to stand down a guy that I’ve know since he was a kid when he said he was leaving the church because “First they elected a Nazi and now they elected a socialist!” I asked him where in the world he got that foolishness from because he needed to check his facts and stop listening to idiots. I ran into his mom after Mass a week or so later and she said he is so mad he’ll never speak to me again. I shook my head and just told her what he said and that that it was okay…because that won’t stop me from talking to Our father about him. (Perhaps not my best response ever…but this guy was like one of our own kids…)
 
Don’t sell yourself short my friend. It has been my experience that sometimes less qualified people get these positions because no one else steps forward. God, in His grace, gives us all gifts and this is one way that we can use them …and He, us, for His kingdom.

I urge you to prayerfully speak to you Pastor and/or DRE and see if there’s a slot you can fill in their programs. Matthew Kelly says that only about 7% of parishioners do 100% of the work in most parishes.

Heck…worst case volunteer to moderate discussions on video series like Fr. Barron’s Catholicism or Dr. Edward Sri’s A Biblical Walk Through the Mass and watch what the Lord does with you…and your parish.

I really don’t think you were very much uncharitable at all, just forthright in the face of overwhelming numbers in opposition…and that takes guts (and as R Lee Ermie says in Full Metal Jacket) “and guts is enough.” I felt bad for a while after having to stand down a guy that I’ve know since he was a kid when he said he was leaving the church because “First they elected a Nazi and now they elected a socialist!” I asked him where in the world he got that foolishness from because he needed to check his facts and stop listening to idiots. I ran into his mom after Mass a week or so later and she said he is so mad he’ll never speak to me again. I shook my head and just told her what he said and that that it was okay…because that won’t stop me from talking to Our father about him. (Perhaps not my best response ever…but this guy was like one of our own kids…)
I understand what you are saying and the example you gave would be correct, “stop listening to idiots” . But even if she was the lone ranger in this group which Op didn’t clarify as an official parish study group or an informal lady’s get together, telling others even if their beliefs are contrary to Church teaching as not real Catholics is uncharitable and cause more issues and draws battle lines than open doors and bridges. this is just looking back but it would have been better to say, maybe we don’t understand what the Church teaches but as Catholics maybe we can relook or restudy this and try to understand why instead of discounting it. This way, it doesn’t accuse anyone of anything but opens the door to education.
 
Doesn’t scripture say that teachers are to be held to a higher standard ?
 
How to respond to other Catholics who clearly state that they don’t believe in some Church teachings (Purgatory for example). In our Church book club of six or seven women, I stood alone in following Church teaching while the others concurred with the ringleader. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone. I stated that it was Church teaching, yet they held fast to their ideas.

I don’t understand how they willfully and admittedly deny the existence of Purgatory and that one doesn’t have to believe in Purgatory to be a Catholic. These members passed it off as truth while the others agreed blindly.

At the end of the meeting, I stated to one member in the presence of the ringleader, that one cannot call themselves Catholic if they don’t believe in EVERYTHING the Church teaches. We cannot be “cafeteria-Catholics” who pick and choose what we accept.

How do we admonish those who spread error without offending them? It is extremely frustrating.

Peace.

+JMJ+
Code:
C.S. Lewis once lectured on the difficulties of presenting doctrine to non-Christian audiences; sometimes, presenting Catholic doctrine to purportedly Catholic audiences can be as difficult. A person saying that they don't "believe in" Purgatory might well mean that they don't accept the traditional picture of Purgatory as a place of scalding fires or terrible torments, since the Church doesn't teach what the exact mode of the temporal penalties is. 

Often times, people, especially if they were young adults or adolescents in the immediate aftermath of Vatican II, were often told that "that doesn't matter anymore" and they may never have been re-catechized properly, or learned how intimately Purgatory and Jesus' sacrifice are related.
If you find that their attitude is simply “I’m going to do what I want to do, no matter what the Church says,” they shouldn’t be functioning under parish or diocesan auspices.
 
This was a book club for women within our parish, started by a female parishioner and allowed by the parish priest. It was not meant to be a class on religion, but a book discussion on a Christian book.

The discussion inevitably led to matters of Faith more than the book. The “ringleader” in question was not the leader of the group, but more of an outspoken individual voicing her opinions quite regularly. The other members, not properly informed on Church teachings, agreed with her as she seemed to them to be a “knowledgeable” person or they may have simply agreed with her way of thinking.

There was a tone of criticism of the Church and they seemed to agree that the Church was more extreme for the worse when they were younger. (I happened to be the youngest in the group, but far from being “wet behind the ears.”) They were in their 60’s and 70’s. They thought that it was good the Church was not so strict as back then.

I was another member of the book club; not in the leadership / teaching role. I was in the minority as far as the Faith discussions. I was more surprised at how liberal they were as I thought that with age comes conservatism in Church teachings.

My frustration got the best of me when the ringleader said that “we all pick and choose” what we follow in the Church. I thought I was admonishing in a charitable way, but saw she took offense when I stated that “we really shouldn’t pick and choose” and that we’re called to accept all of the Church’s teachings. She turned around and left quietly.

Peace.

+JMJ+
 
JMJ777,
I’m glad you clarified what is really happening in your parish. Your pastor probably thought there would be no harm in folks getting together to discuss a book. As often happens in female groups, somebody will dominate the discussion and take it off track. At least it is not an official representative of the parish in the capacity of a Religious Ed. Coordinator.

It seems there is little else you can do, except to quietly and firmly voice your correction, and trust the Holy Spirit to confirm your words. If it gets too controversial, there’s always a door out, and you may want to inform the pastor. Souls are being harmed by the “vociferous” one. It seems every group has one of them. (sigh)
 
jmj777

This could just be a matter of pride on the part of the woman that left. She probably had some opinions and does not like to be challenged on them. I guess she may fiercely defend her position even to the extent of the truth which is a shame. She may also have left because she had no defense to what the truth is. I hope the group is open to what you have to offer now.
 
I understand what you are saying and the example you gave would be correct, “stop listening to idiots” . But even if she was the lone ranger in this group which Op didn’t clarify as an official parish study group or an informal lady’s get together, telling others even if their beliefs are contrary to Church teaching as not real Catholics is uncharitable and cause more issues and draws battle lines than open doors and bridges. this is just looking back but it would have been better to say, maybe we don’t understand what the Church teaches but as Catholics maybe we can relook or restudy this and try to understand why instead of discounting it. This way, it doesn’t accuse anyone of anything but opens the door to education.
🤷 9 times out of 10 there is no winning course for such encounters and I hate them, but craziness and lies must be countered or else wickedness will certainly prevail. It’s a fine line and not easily walked.
Doesn’t scripture say that teachers are to be held to a higher standard ?
Yep, right there in James 3:1
My frustration got the best of me when the ringleader said that “we all pick and choose” what we follow in the Church. I thought I was admonishing in a charitable way, but saw she took offense when I stated that “we really shouldn’t pick and choose” and that we’re called to accept all of the Church’s teachings. She turned around and left quietly.

Peace.

+JMJ+
Then I have to say that you weren’t uncharitable any more than Our Lord was in John 6 when He asked the apostles “Will you also go away?” (verse 68). In fact you probably handled that far better than I might have.

Question: Has the group met since and are you still attending?
JMJ777,
I’m glad you clarified what is really happening in your parish. Your pastor probably thought there would be no harm in folks getting together to discuss a book
. As often happens in female groups, somebody will dominate the discussion and take it off track. At least it is not an official representative of the parish in the capacity of a Religious Ed. Coordinator.

It seems there is little else you can do, except to quietly and firmly voice your correction, and trust the Holy Spirit to confirm your words. If it gets too controversial, there’s always a door out, and you may want to inform the pastor. Souls are being harmed by the “vociferous” one. It seems every group has one of them. (sigh)👍
 
40.png
JMJ777:
The discussion inevitably led to matters of Faith more than the book. The “ringleader” in question was not the leader of the group, but more of an outspoken individual voicing her opinions quite regularly.
I don’t know if this will be helpful, but it has been nagging at me to share it. Years ago, I had a dear friend that I took to daily mass. She had a most irritable problem of interrupting others, so much so, that I begged God to teach me how to deal with it before I lose my mind and become angry with her. Since she suffered from epilepsy, I believe she was on medication, which may have accounted for that bad habit.

The Lord answered my prayer by allowing me to see a live movie played out. One day, I took her to her sister’s after mass, and, as usual, she began to interrupt her. The sister gently stopped her and said, “Doris, Will you please let me finish what I was saying?” [Asking the question makes them focus]

When I was active in a parish bible study led by a nun, the same problem recurred, but the nun was overly gracious and did nothing to stop it, which irritated the other members of the group. Having just witnessed this live movie, I spoke up when a “ringleader” interrupted in an attempt to dominate the discussion. “So-and-so, I really want to hear what this person has to say. Would you mind if we let her finish her thought?” It worked like a charm.

Moral: Do not let a strong-willed person dominate the discussion, but meekly, yet firmly, help the participants stay focused by not enabling the “ringleader” to take over the group. I hope this helps. Those who are timid about speaking out, will sit and fume in silence sometimes, and eventually leave the group.
 
Church Militant - It’s funny that you ask if the group has since met and if I’m attending. That happened to be the last meeting for that particular book. A new one starts in 2 weeks with the same people, different book. The next book chosen doesn’t particularly interest me as it is a fictional book and not something I believe I would grow from, spiritually. So, I had decided not to join in for this particular book. Perhaps I may return in the future if the book catches my interest.

On a side note, we are part of a circle of friends who homeschool their children; about seven other homeschooling families. The ironic thing about this is that the ringleader happens to be the mother of one of the homeschooling parents in our group. Although we don’t know her personally, we really only see her during that couple’s parties (graduation, First Holy Communion, Confirmation, etc.). So, in the past, our contact has been minimal and superficial at best. Outside of that, we see her in Church from time to time.

I’m really not sure where this will lead when we see each other again, as I don’t believe we ended on a positive note. I’m just leaving it in God’s hands to make fruitful our last encounter at the book club.

Peace.

+JMJ+
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top