Underage drinking with friends

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catholic_Boi3285
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catholic_Boi3285

Guest
My acquaintances who are underage were planning on drinking on their own without parental supervision and in overhearing their plans I suggested we instead plan on going to my house where my parents might let us have a beer or to so that they wouldn’t get drunk and possibly get hurt.Is this sinful because they are still underage and so am I or am I just being scrupulous?
 
Do you friends plan on getting drunk or are you just worried that might happen? I think your suggestion is a good one regardless.
 
It depends on the laws where this takes place. If you live in the US, it would break laws which are good and just (since alcohol affects brain development, is addictive, and ruins lives), so yes, it would be a sin. Your parents would be breaking the law. Depending on your age, you might be breaking the law. You are not being scrupulous.
 
Last edited:
You might be thinking that giving teens or young adults a “safe” way of drinking will protect them. This is a common fallacy. While you might protect them from excessive drinking and/or drunk driving on this occasion, you do not protect them from the other risks I mentioned in the previous post (brain development, addiction, lives ruined by alcoholism), and you would also be teaching them to disregard the law, and encouraging future illegal drinking which might not be under your watchful care (e.g., at college, using fake ID, or with less careful “friends”).

You are not being scrupulous. It is a bad idea.
 
Last edited:
I’m not sure the Church has a legal age for alcohol consumption. I assume in Christs day and for most of human history it would have been around 14.
However the Church urges us to respect the governments laws in which we live as long as they are just and do not go against Church teaching.
 
I think a lot of teens drink to help them be more social. Get rid of inhibitions and have fun. What they need to learn is they can get high, so to speak, without alcohol. Get high on Jesus!
 
There is nothing intrinsically evil about very moderate consumption of alcohol, in a family or home setting, before the age of 21. That being said, in today’s society it is probably not a good idea. We are turning into a surveillance state. All it takes is one spiteful neighbor or acquaintance, and you end up with social services on your doorstep. (That’s when you lawyer up.) There is a deeply controversial book I’d like to read, but one of the reviews warned against buying it on Amazon Kindle, because then there is a record of what you bought. How far are we from totalitarianism?

An 18 year old can join the armed forces and hand over control of their life, even up to the sacrifice of their own life, to the military and, ultimately, the commander-in-chief. An 18 year old (and even younger) can enter into the permanent and irrevocable covenant called marriage. Yet an 18 year old cannot sit down in a restaurant, with their family, enjoy a hearty meal, and have a small glass of beer or wine to go with it. That’s messed up.
 
What is it about alcohol that attracts teens? Is it experimentation? being cool? A social bonding thing?
Social lubricant for many who are shy

For others, particularly those who suffered trauma as kids and who feel depressed , when they drink they actually feel normal. Plus it numbs feeling of depression, shame, etc. Hence very important to deal w those w therapy or else they keep going to alcohol
 
Thanks the whole thing is called oof but I still wanted to know.I felt like it was wrong but wasn’t very sure.
 
I suggested we instead plan on going to my house where my parents might let us have a beer or to so that they wouldn’t get drunk and possibly get hurt.Is this sinful
In the US you would be putting your parents in an illegal situation. In many states a parent may allow their own kids to drink at home, however, providing alcohol to minors is a crime.

We are to follow just laws.
 
Thanks for the advice the whole thing was called off but I just wanted to make sure.
 
Social lubricant for many who are shy

For others, particularly those who suffered trauma as kids and who feel depressed , when they drink they actually feel normal. Plus it numbs feeling of depression, shame, etc. Hence very important to deal w those w therapy or else they keep going to alcohol
Rule number 1 of alcohol consumption: It is not a medicine for anything and should never be used as one.
Rule number 2 of alcohol consumption: If you are considering drinking because you “need” it, that is when you need to AVOID it!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top